German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Saying hello on a sad note (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/406762-saying-hello-sad-note.html)

Tattersail 02-05-2014 02:56 AM

Saying hello on a sad note

2 Attachment(s)
I've been a long time lurker for awhile here and seems I've only now gotten around to finally posting, so I'd like to say hello.

Unfortunately we had to put our boy down last week, his spleen ruptured and he had massive internal bleeding... Vet said she was almost certain it was cancer, we'd had 10 good years with him and so we chose to do the right thing and let him cross the bridge. Hardest decision I've ever had to make ( he was my dog, and although it was a family decision, the final verdict was to come from me).

It's only been a week, and we're still reeling from everything, but we as a family know already that we'll be getting another dog and we're thinking about a Shiloh Shepherd... I know this forum is for German Shepherds but I'm hoping to find some like minded people and hopefully some of you live nearby and would be willing to meet when we make the leap into new puppy owners once again.

Living with Shad was certainly an adventure, and he taught me so much about life, and especially about dogs. I learned a lot of what not to do, and we had quite a few hairy moments, but we made it through them all and he was everything I could have wished for, even with his tendency of disliking every other large dog that came his way ;).

Some pictures of our old man :) (He was a GSD x Border Collie)

LoveDogs 02-05-2014 03:04 AM

Hello and I am sorry about your loss. Losing a 4 legged family member is never easy. As your heart heals it will open up to a new realm of possibility. I hope you find that perfect dog that makes your family complete.

shepherdmom 02-05-2014 03:32 AM

So sorry for your loss. He was a handsome fellow.

brembo 02-05-2014 04:14 AM

Sorry about Shad, it's a tough row to hoe.

Malazan? My next pup will be named Whiskeyjack or Dunsparrow, depending on the sex.

Apoolutz 02-05-2014 06:57 AM

So sorry for your loss.

jocoyn 02-05-2014 07:43 AM

So sorry for your loss.

Tattersail 02-05-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 4967834)
Sorry about Shad, it's a tough row to hoe.

Malazan? My next pup will be named Whiskeyjack or Dunsparrow, depending on the sex.

Yes Malazan ^_^ Whiskeyjack is one of my favourite characters (along with Tattersail obviously :P )

Thank you for the condolences everyone! I can't remember how many times an issue would come up and I'd look to this forum for answers.

I remember one time Shad got a spot on his muzzle that lost all the fur and was scabby... brought him to the vets she "guaranteed" that it was a tooth abscess and put him on antibiotics saying this will clear it up and he'll need surgery. I thought it was mange, asked her, she said no way. Two weeks later antibiotics did nothing and so we just let it be and 3 months down the line it cleared itself up!

FirefighterGSD 02-05-2014 08:46 PM

Welcome from Maryland! So sorry for your loss, that's always a hard thing no matter what the age or reason. You made the right choice IMO and you'll be fine with time.

readaboutdogs 02-05-2014 09:10 PM

Hello and so sorry for your loss of Shad. I love the first pic of him! Looks like he had a lot of character! Hope you find your dream!

KathrynApril 02-06-2014 12:11 AM

He was a handsome boy. So sorry for your loss.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App