German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New guy, looking to get a protection dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/406522-new-guy-looking-get-protection-dog.html)

Djstorm100 02-04-2014 01:30 PM

New guy, looking to get a protection dog

Hello, everyone. I was referred here from a member on a prominent firearm forum. I'm egar to learn as much as I can about the breed/drives as I can and how to continue training so the he/she does not get bored. I hope to be able to pick up a dog for protection work for my soon to be family and I. Just wanted to introduce my self. :)

Thanks
Dustin

Castlemaid 02-04-2014 01:32 PM

Hi Dustin, welcome to the forum! Always nice to see people doing their homework and being open to learning more! Lots to read and learn here, and we'll be happy to answer any question you have to the best of our ability.

MichaelE 02-04-2014 01:34 PM

Welcome.

Which firearms forum? I am a member of quite a few and admin and moderate on one other.

Djstorm100 02-04-2014 03:04 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Michael to answer your question Sniperhide.

Oisin's Aoire 02-04-2014 03:49 PM

Sniperhide? Never heard of that one. Michael , what are yours? I am on njgunforums.com

Dustin - check out the Choosing A Breeder Section :
Choosing A Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Where are you located?

Djstorm100 02-04-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin's Aoire (Post 4964450)
Sniperhide? Never heard of that one. Michael , what are yours? I am on njgunforums.com

Where are you located?

Yea those guys are more in to longe range shooting most are ex-military/LEO/Etc.

I'm kinda suprised NJ has a gun forum :DLOL!

MichaelE 02-04-2014 04:08 PM

Assault Web
Defensive Carry
The FAL Files
Walther Handgun Forum

Never heard of yours.

Djstorm100 02-04-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin's Aoire (Post 4964450)

Where are you located?

I'm surprised the NJ gov't would allow a NJfirearm forum :) lol! jk my friend.

Sniperhide is mostly ex-military/LEO or guys that love to shoot long range, 1000+ yards

Thank you for the link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4964594)
Assault Web
Defensive Carry
The FAL Files
Walther Handgun Forum

Never heard of yours.

I've been on the DC, I do like that place.

MichaelE 02-04-2014 04:28 PM

I'm not much into precision shooting though my StG.58 will do MOA to 200 and start opening up a bit after that. No precision rifle for certain, but pretty darn good for a battle rifle.

I had a 700 BDL Custom set up many years ago with Leopold glass that was good to 400.

brembo 02-04-2014 05:19 PM

I lurk sniperhide a little. Mainly went there looking for scope rings/mounts for a recent build. Will be back soon as I'm getting to the optics stage of a Remington 721 30.06 (1948 manufacture).

As to the protection dog thing, use the search here and do some digging. Protection dogs are a lifestyle rather than accessory, we humans are much better suited to protect family. Dogs are great early warning systems tho. Teach the wife/girlfriend to be proficient with firearms and situational awareness and let the dog augment the awareness aspect. Sneaking up on dogs is sort of impossible really.