Hello - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello

Hello, I am a current GSD owner, unfortunately he will be going to rainbow bridge in a few days. He fractured a hip bone when he was a pup from a fall (long story involving both me and the puppy falling) and now that he's 14 his quality of life is going fast and I can no longer control his pain with food, medications, acupuncture, or anything else. With the medications his kidneys are starting to have issues, I just can't put him through anymore because I don't want to say goodbye. I can not even begin to express how hard this on me to have to do this. In my heart I know it's the right thing. My husband said that the best way to heal is to get another and focus on the new puppy. With that being said, he put a deposit on another GSD puppy. I'll have a few weeks to grieve the loss of my beloved Hunter.

It's been a long time since I owned a puppy and figured that in the past decade or so many things have changed. Food choices have especially changed. The choices are mind spinning.

As I try to keep my head up and choke back my tears as I write this, I want to re-educate myself on everything.
LoveDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh I'm sorry for your pain. Just lost my Boxer last Nov she made it barely to 10 yrs which is good for them!

Dog Food Adviser is good source of info and read through the Parvo threads for information on what you should do with your pup before he is fully immunized.

Sorry again and if he's been around for 14 years you did a great job and should be proud!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum and sorry about your pup. We never have them for as long as we'd like

Make sure you take the time to look at Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums with so much good current information on the breed.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

So sorry for your loss. It was heart-wrenching when we put Shadow down, and it took two years before I was ready for another GSD. I wish you all the best of luck, and if it helps to share pictures certainly do so!
Scout's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

So sorry to hear of your situation....my heart does go out to you.

I know saying 14 years was a good run doesn't make this part of the journey any easier but I'm glad you had each other for so long.

I agree with your husband but with the understanding that there are no replacements as each of our furry pals are truly unique in their own special ways. Your new pup will ease the hardship in my opinion and soon enough will earn it's special place in your hearts.

I believe we all can understand and respect your tears as you deal with this inevitable difficult decision.

A comment you made in your post..." I just can't put him through anymore because I don't want to say goodbye." speaks volumes of where your heart is at and I applaud you for being so selfless and thinking of your friend first and foremost.

There exists a quality in going to the bittersweet end with your dog, it's so difficult to see at first as the sadness is all too consuming but making the proper decision which only you and your husband can make, shows the tremendous love and care you had all along....it hurts so so much to do what is right at times but it speaks so strongly of one's character.

Take care,

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

It is never ever long enough. But it is clear you love your boy and gave him all the love and care he needed for 14 years. And your love for him will get you through this awful decision that has to be made. Make the next few days super special for you and him. Then let him run pain free until you meet again.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here are my dogs. The English Cocker Spaniel, Hailey, passed 2 years ago at the age of 13. Hunter is the German Shepherd. I keep thinking they will romp around together again.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. This is never easy, but if you do everything in the world right they still will never live forever.

I had some fantastic times with these two, I have a cat that is super attached to the German Shepherd. She sleeps on him every night. This is probably going to be harder on her than I can imagine.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello-45788_1172432968965_7483848_n.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

So sorry for your loss. Your boy does look really happy there.

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...y-van-meerhout
DobbyDad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

He sure does. My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon so it was a week without us. I will never forget how absolutely excited they both were when they saw us! We never knew he could scale a 6 foot fence until this honeymoon because the people that took care of him said he got out of the kennel and was laying by their door in the morning.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It never gets any easier and the best we can do is love them while we can. From your post I can tell you loved that dog as much as possible. I know it's hard. Sometimes I still cry when I think of Pyrate. He was my heart dog and has been gone since May of 2012. I still miss him. I did get Raina a few years prior to his passing and it did help but it still hurts.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.