German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   looking for a family dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/402466-looking-family-dog.html)

partha 01-27-2014 05:56 AM

looking for a family dog

hi
i am looking to get a dog for the first time. we are also planning to have a baby in the next two years.
we live in a house with a relatively small backyard.i have done a little bit of research on the breed of dogs suitable for our kind of lifestyle. the dog will never be alone in our family. having said that no one in our family has ever had a dog so my parents are a little scared of having a dog.oh i must tell you here that my wife and i live with my parents. as i have said i have done a little research on gsd, lab and golden retriever but there must be a dozen things about them that i dont. so please suggest me the breed that is most suitable for our kind of family.
p.s.since it is my first dog she does not have to be among the three i mentioned. and she must be trainable as we have never had a dog.

dawnandjr 01-27-2014 08:05 AM

Since you have never owned a dog, while you are searching, find a local trainer that will allow you to come to some puppy classes. You could ask questions of other owners and see what puppies are like in action. It will also get you in the door to training. That would be a great beginning. It will also show you if you have the time to commit to showing up at training class every week. If you update your profile to a location, we could recommend a trainer that does positive training methods. Also breeders of the breeds you are interested in. Going to dog shows is also a great place to see lots of different breeds and talk with breeders about the traits their bred possess. All three breeds you mentioned are very popular, and with that comes over breeding and health problems. Only you can determine exactly how much dog your family can handle. AKC's website will give can give you a list of shows in your area, some breeders also list puppies on there.

martemchik 01-27-2014 08:17 AM

Where are you located? Could help people point you somewhere for direction.

Your lifestyle has proven very questionable on thread after thread on this forum...getting a dog while living in someone else's home and not having everyone 100% on board. On top of that, you're planning on having a kid in a few years and with that comes a lot of different responsibility and a different schedule. Is a dog doable? Absolutely...but its a huge responsibility. I'd really make sure the whole family is on board with what happens in certain sitauations, like if the dog starts eating everything in sight, and what type of training you'll be doing...positive only, redirection, compulsion, or a mix of them.

I'm not telling you to not get a dog...but you just really need to be 100% sure that the parents are on board and have an idea of what happens after you have your child. You can look up some threads where a younger person has had to move back with their parents and the dog gets relegated to a crate or a room. Others in the household won't train the way that the "owner" wants the dog to be trained.

misslesleedavis1 01-27-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partha (Post 4912946)
hi
i am looking to get a dog for the first time. we are also planning to have a baby in the next two years.
we live in a house with a relatively small backyard.i have done a little bit of research on the breed of dogs suitable for our kind of lifestyle. the dog will never be alone in our family. having said that no one in our family has ever had a dog so my parents are a little scared of having a dog.oh i must tell you here that my wife and i live with my parents. as i have said i have done a little research on gsd, lab and golden retriever but there must be a dozen things about them that i dont. so please suggest me the breed that is most suitable for our kind of family.
p.s.since it is my first dog she does not have to be among the three i mentioned. and she must be trainable as we have never had a dog.

Get a dog after kids, puppies can be like kids with the needs, you are better off preparing yourself with a child first because if you dont like the child responibility you cant give it back or leave it high and dry in a shelter like alot do with dogs. Its a valuable learning experiance.

LaRen616 01-27-2014 08:45 AM

I think of the 3 breeds you listed, the Golden Retriever would be a better fit for you, maybe you can find a breeder that has some older puppies like 6 months-2 years of age. Then when you have kids your puppy will be around 3 years old and a little more mature and calm.

mcdanfam 01-27-2014 09:01 AM

I can't tell you which breed, or how to do it while living with others....

I can say....having a puppy is like having a newborn, toddler and obnoxious teen all within a 1 year time frame....:-)

Good luck with your decision....really listen to the advice about getting with a trainer. It could really help you decide. We are at training 2-3 hours on a Saturdays....the pups get breaks in their kennels...but we are at the location 2-3 hours after driving an hour there and and hour home. Our Saturdays are now...dog days....:-) our trainer also trains in rain, cold, hot, snow.....he is dedicated to keeping the dogs working in all situations....our girls are teens so easier to take then out in the weather. Definitely something to consider. Also visiting a trainer and watching a class, you will see how different dogs pick up on different things...that may help you decide as well....:-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 01-27-2014 09:04 AM

This breed is, as a general rule, a LOT of work, training, time and maintenance. There is thread after thread on this forum, as martemchik said, about overwhelmed new families or people living in other's homes, etc... and it rarely works out for the dog. First-time owners can do well with this breed, but that's generally with a lot of time and dedication. These really aren't dogs you get "just to get a family dog," unless someone in the family is super dedicated and the whole family is on board in general.

If you still decide to go this route, I would look into getting an older dog. A high-energy, high maintenance GSD pup/adolescent plus a new baby is a recipe for disaster (read the threads of very overwhelmed people who have dogs that are wreaking havoc because there is no structure or training, because there is no time). You can find lower-maintenance GSD's, but that's generally easier to do with older dogs- what you see is what you get.

I agree with what Dawn said- get out and see all of these breeds. There are so many stories of people loving the "mystique" of the GSD, but not at all being prepared for what they can actually be like. This way, you can talk to owners, see the personalities of the dogs, etc, and see what you'd like in a dog.

Okin 01-27-2014 09:04 AM

From my experience with my GSD pup expect to dedicate almost all of your free time for the first six months to the dog. After that you still have to dedicate a LOT of time to them and they need to be stimulated and working on things to be happy. At least mine is very trainable she actually loves to train but I would not say it happens easily. You really have to work on it and if you slack they will too. A big yard is not necessary but you do have to exercise the dog and a lot of time people think having the dog laying around in the back yard is exercise which it is not. It is a big responsibility and takes a lot of work but if you are willing to put in the work it can be very rewarding.

I don't know you personally so I'm not saying that this is what you are doing, but this is a pattern I have seen repeated many times by people looking for a dog shortly before having a kid. I have seen a lot of people get dogs as a test for having a kid. They want a kid and plan to have a kid so they get a dog to sort of test the waters. I can't count how many times someone has got a dog then had a kid and then I hear "I had to get rid of the dog because insert any of 1000 excuses here".

LaRen616 01-27-2014 09:14 AM

The reasons why I think the Golden would be a better fit for you is because GSD puppies and Lab puppies tend to be a little more on the "wild side." Lab puppies can be quite rambunctious and GSD puppies tend to be mouthy, they are often called "Landsharks" and a lot of people have a hard time dealing with it. Both Labs and GSDs tend to play rough as well. You said your yard is on the smaller side as well, GSDs need to have plenty of exercise and if you can't take him/her somewhere to burn off his/her energy then you will have a naughty puppy on your hands. Not saying it won't work with a small yard because people can make it work but you have to be able to properly exercise the dog. JMO

readaboutdogs 01-27-2014 10:52 AM

We went to a collie show this weekend because I'm interested in getting one. The first thing I noticed was even though several dogs were up on tables being groomed, there wasn't tons of hair blowing around! I got to meet a couple of collies that were just there with their owners and the were very sweet, reserved, but not shy. They said they shed heavy a couple times a year. Course, living in someone else's home would be a deterrent as you wouldn't have full reign of how you wanted to house your dog!