German Shepherds Forum banner

First CKC Registered pup

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Diesel14 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone. Wanted to stop by and introduce myself. My name is Brad and have always wanted a registered shepherd and was able to get my first one last night. He was born on November 21, 2013. Currently 9 weeks old and his name is Diesel. Bloodline traces back to dogs in Germany so that was a plus for me. He is for sure the most talkative pup I've ever had before. I am on my iphone and have not figured out how to upload pictures yet so if anyone has some suggestions please let me know.

#7 ·
I'm sorry, but I always cringe with "Continental"... they're known for being the back yard breeders and puppy mills registry of choice. I was really hoping you would say Canadian.

Since the breed originated in Germany, all bloodlines trace back to Germany. Wouldn't be called a "German" shepherd with out it silly!

They are a highly vocal breed. They will talk up a storm! Be prepared for him to make it very known what he wants.

He's a cutie, just not a registry I would support. I hope you enjoy him!

#8 ·
Well I understand where you are coming from. I did get to meet both parents and both were excellent looking dogs. I don't have to have a 600-1000 dollar pedigree to be happy. Just being able to trace his heritage and know his lineage puts me at ease. It's still better than buying a non papered dog not knowing his lineage.

#12 ·
It's definitely going to be more work with him than any of my previous dogs. All my other dogs took right to it but he doesn't like it one little bit. Trying to work him in to crate training a little at a time. He is very loud vocally when in the kennel

#13 ·
My Tar is a Continental KC dog. I didn't look at it as I was "supporting" anyone or any group. He came into the shelter where I work and I gave him a home. I know why he isn't AKC because I know where he came from. His mother is a "puppy mill" GSD from a notorious local breeder and could not be AKC registered. So should I have not taken him home and given him a good home? I swear, given the new posts I have read in the last hour I have decided that I am a terrible dog mom (we don't exercise everyday) and I shouldn't own a GSD at all (I knew nothing about the breed before I brought him home and I don't do training with him) and now I shouldn't have paid the measley $25 to see his pedigree :) Sorry but I just wanted him to have one so he wouldn't feel inferior to his sister, the fat vicious lab.

Just kidding (sort of) but a person could really get a complex around here today! FWIW my untrained, unexercised, CKC registered GSD is calmly sleeping beside his sister, the fat lab and hasn't bitten, mauled, destroyed or otherwise ruined mine nor his life today :)

#14 ·
Everyone has their reasoning. I think directly purchasing a CKC puppy from a breeder and rescuing one from a shelter are two different scenarios that I wouldn't, I'm my opinion put together in one basket, but if you want to by all means. Just because its a "measly $25", if everyone has your mentality then it is a great illustration as to why such a registration is still thriving besides all the horrible talk behind it. If you don't think it is "supporting anything", that's fine, but a registry can't thrive if people aren't paying its fees. It's supported directly from that "measly $25". The more people who don't pay it, then we are one step closer to shutting it down. That puppy mill wouldn't make that much money if it didn't have a registry to make their pets sound more expensive, and then maybe the miller would look for a different job. By all means, keep paying their fees if you don't think you're supporting them some how. In my opinion I wouldn't send them a dime and directly fuel their operations.

It is an open public forum, you will find dissenting opinions. If you just dove into getting a GSD, and it's working just fine for you than that's great.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#18 ·
Hi Diesel, welcome to the board - that is one cute puppy you have there, I'm sure you will be very happy with him.

Mocha isn't breaking any rules by posting her thoughts about the CKC registry, though I do agree that an introductory post may not be the best place to bring this up.

We've had members here with CKC registered pups, and upon them posting the dog's pedigree, the pedigree seemed fabricated. Not saying that Diesel's pedigree is fake, it might be legit, but with a CKC registration, you will never know for sure.

The main thing right now is that you met the parents and they had good temperament and were friendly, so that is a big plus in your camp.

#19 ·
Look I don't care about CKC AKC this that. I don't care what registry it is. I'm not going to sit and bash anyone's dog not matter what registry it is. Ever since my first post on this board mocha has came in here bashing the CKC. Maybe if someone doesn't like a registry they should keep it to themselves and quit trying to belittle a persons dog over what registry they are with because I've done my research on several breeds and even the AKC has what mocha calls the backyard breeders in it. Bashing is uncalled for and not deserved.

#21 ·
But with a CKC registered pup, you can't even know for sure that you have a pure bred! Making up fake registrations, fake pedigrees, and selling the dogs as pure-bred is just totally wrong. People are not attacking your puppy - your pedigree for him may be correct, he probably is a nice a puppy as any from as nice a sire and dam as any from as nice breeders as any - but I think any organization that openly allows deceitfulness from its members and has proven to be un-trustworthy is fully deserving of bashing.

But lets get back to your Diesel, and leave the registry discussion for another time. :)

#22 ·
Bashing the registry isn't bashing your dog. It's about the registry itself. Your dog doesn't know where it's registered (or even if it is). While someone pointing out that there are issues with a registry (which CKC and APRI certainly have) may have stung, it has nothing to do with the love and pride you have in your dog. It has to do with warning others (as this is a public forum and does come up on searches) that there may be reasons WHY someone is using that registry and not one of the legit ones.

#23 ·
Yikes. Didn't mean to get that involved in the CKC thing. I was actually just commenting on this thread because it was sort of ,my "last straw" when I signed on and started reading yesterday. After about 10 minutes of reading the new posts I felt like I should probably just rehome my dog to someone smart enough to raise him and subject myself to 40 lashes with a wet noodle :)

Regarding the pedigree thing. I just wanted to know if all of my dogs ancestors were connected to the same breeder due to some health questions that "might" arise. If my $25 kept them in business a day longer, but the info might help my dog somewhere down the road, then I don't really care. I did meet both of my dog's parents because after the breeder asked us to help him with placing the pups, he brought the parents in to take advantage of our free spay/neuter program. They were beautiful, friendly and apparently healthy because they both passed the pre-surgery physical with flying colors. And the "miller" of my dog's mother is now dying with cancer and has never had another job. She has been investigated over and over but was never shut down. Most of the people who bought from her over the years probably didn't even care about a pedigree. They just wanted a PB dog a little cheaper. She has many, many other breeds besides GSDs. I know why she can't register with the AKC and it's not because she is faking pedigrees.

Anyway...I think it might be prudent to remember that someone's first post is not a good place to sort of attack him (for any reason.) It's tough enough to feel competent around here at times, we shouldn't scare people off on their first visit.

I learn so much here and for the most part (like 99%)enjoy everyone. I just think there are certain times (even if you aren't technically breaking a rule) that it would be the decent thing to do to not make someone feel somehow subpar.

#25 ·
wellllll aren't we a happy bunch this morning:)

Congrats on your new pup, I hope he brings you many years of happiness:)

As for the CKC, well I woouldn't support them but Tarheel I just wanted to say, I would have done the same thing! Bought a pedigree if available to me, to find out what was behind the dog I was adopting! So while it may have put a few bucks in their pocket, it would be worth more to me knowing about the dog!

Just to add, I don't think everyone knows the differences in all those registries out there, theres, CKC< ABA, all kinds of disreputable registries.. While Joe Public may not know the difference, they see the dog is "registered", so that's a "good" thing.

Not the dogs fault, every puppy deserves a good home. But I do think people should become aware of what registries mean what when it comes to breeding animals.

What's done is done, I'm sure the OP will love his puppy no matter what, and I hope he lives a long healthy life..

#26 ·
Well the OP has recieved an education on something most people are unaware of (CKC). He now has a lovely puppy that will need all kinds of attention and maybe could stay around for some help...Diesel, we have all felt beaten up a little at some time or the other; I know none of the comments were directed at your or your dog.

EDIT-LOL crossposting :)

#27 ·
I'm not going anywhere. I joined the site so my wife could get on here and learn what I already know about the breed. Diesel is technically suppose to be her dog anyway lol even though he stays glued to me when I'm home. All I was trying to say earlier was I did not want to be involved with any kind of registry bashing because there are liars in everyone of the registries. Anyone with access to the Internet can figure that much out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.