German Shepherds Forum banner

About me and German Shepherds

598 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GermanShepherdCrazy 
#1 ·
I've always loved German Shepherds. I have 5 dogs currently, I used to have 6 but I had to give 1 away.

I'm getting my very first German Shepherd very soon and I can't wait!! I'm SUPER excited!!! I've decided that I'm going to be buying him from a breeder as a puppy, of course at 8 weeks. My characteristics (I guess you would say) of my future 1st German Shepherd is a purebred black + tan male. I've already chosen a name and I can't wait to get him.

I know A LOT about animals, especially dogs. I just want some extra information about German Shepherds. Even though I know a lot about them, I've still never had one before. If you have any extra information that you could tell me like grooming tips, training tips, puppy expectations that may be different than other breeds, adult expectations that may be different than other breeds. If you own any, especially several please tell me about them if that's ok. I'm curious and I'd love to know about them. If you have any funny stories please tell me as well!

As I said, any extra tips, stories, etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

#3 ·
Hey there! Nice to see such excitement about being a future GSD owner. I myself am a new GSD owner, though I've worked with (as a vet tech) and have owned lots of different breeds. Her name is Nova. I got her at just under 8 weeks, she is now 13 weeks. Honestly, I have only noticed two major differences between her and my other pups/dogs so far. First, she is by far the most fast-learning of any of them I've ever had! She only cried for one night during crate training. Every time I speak to her, she stares at me intently, to the point that it feels like she's looking right into me. Their intelligence is no joke and they find creative ways to show you ;) ..Secondly, her ears seem to be slightly more sensitive than those in the past. Which makes sense, considering the muscles it takes to make them stand. She'll let me handle them just fine, she's just super-sensitive there.

Hope you enjoy the journey with your new pup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.