German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Help, my GSD might be smarter than me (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/395186-help-my-gsd-might-smarter-than-me.html)

nicky 01-12-2014 10:54 PM

Help, my GSD might be smarter than me

Hi! You have no idea how happy I am to find this forum. I have been reading for days, I might have to quit my job so I can keep reading all this information. I just joined and thought I better introduce myself, or better yet my German Shepherd Molly.

Molly is my 9 month old German Shepherd. Someone gave her to me as a "gift" at a time in my life that was pretty awful. They thought I needed a puppy to grow old with and who later down the road could also protect me if needed. She has had quite the life since I got her and has had more adventures with me in the past 6 months than most dogs ever have. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing!:laugh:

I have owned lots of dogs over the years but this is my first German Shepherd and she is by far the smartest and highest energy dog I have ever had. Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into. Owning a dog is always a responsibility but owning her seems like a much bigger responsibility. I love her to death and am not complaining and would never consider giving her away but I recently realized I need help or direction with training her. I have done a pretty good job with basic obedience (or so I thought) and she is actually perfect when it is just the 2 of us (which is 98% of the time) but when we are out in public
she seems to forget or just not care about the obedience. It may have been cute to strangers when she was 3 months old and jumping on them but she tends to scare people now, just by her size and breed. I need help on training her on how to be around other people and animals.

I was told she comes from working lines and this is different than a GSD who comes from show lines or American lines. Is that true? If it is, is that a good or bad thing?

I could go on and on with questions but I bet I can find my answers all over the forum. I just wanted to introduce us and say thanks for all the good information here.

Stevenzachsmom 01-12-2014 11:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. You will find tons of helpful information here. Do a search and you can find a thread on just about any question you may have. If not, start a thread in the appropriate section. If you posted your dog's pedigree in the the pedigree section, someone smarter than I could probably tell you just what you have and what to expect from your girl.

Nigel 01-12-2014 11:46 PM

Welcome! Look for training clubs/classes. Classes are a good way train her in a controlled environment with the added distractions. Training in a sterile environment first so your pup understands what's being asked, then slowly add more distractions to proof your training.

DWP 01-13-2014 08:00 AM

Welcome

Being 9 months old may have some influence on this situation. Keep up your hard work, don't give up, keep researching and you will find what works. Congratulations on the beginning of a very rewarding relationship.