German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Long time shepherd owner, new to forum (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/391474-long-time-shepherd-owner-new-forum.html)

Honkytonkmn 01-05-2014 11:44 AM

Long time shepherd owner, new to forum

Hi, I'm the Honkytonkmn,

I had my first shepherd when I was 8 years old. He was a Black Shepherd stray I befriended when we moved into a new house. He was the best Dog ever and I never wanted another breed after him.

I've had 5 Shepherds since then 2 White Shepherds 2 Black and Tans and now a black and red. My white shepherd Dixie had to be put down two months ago and we just picked up our new puppy Jan 1st.

Just looking for general information and talk with other Shepherd owners who love the breed as much as I do.

Loneforce 01-05-2014 11:50 AM

Welcome Aboard!!

doggiedad 01-05-2014 12:03 PM

welocome. Happy New year!!!

Sp00ks 01-05-2014 12:20 PM

Welcome!

We put our white shepherd down in May. Picked our new pup up on Jan. 1st as well.

Honkytonkmn 01-05-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4776346)
Welcome!

We put our white shepherd down in May. Picked our new pup up on Jan. 1st as well.

How'd you go so long? I have always had a dog and going 2 months without a dog in the house just made the house feel empty. I usually have two dogs, I knew my White Shepherd "Dixie" was getting old and I was planning on getting a puppy this spring, but my plan didn't work out.

Sp00ks 01-05-2014 04:55 PM

Well, it wasn't easy. That is the longest I have ever been without a dog my entire life. We had a long hard road to getting a pup. We thought about a different breed for awhile (Malinios) then decided to go with another GSD, so we thought rescue was the way to go. Well, breed specific rescues in our area were (trying to be nice) not working out.

I had contacted a breeder about 2 available pups but they were expensive. I told her that I would have to wait until January to incur that kind of cost. Late October she contacted me again and said she had a confirmed pregnancy and the timing should work out. We went to visit her facility and it was all a waiting game from there. We were so impressed it was worth the wait. So far this pup was definitely worth the wait. Temperament wise, he is exactly what we wanted.

I tried really hard to keep my desire for a dog in check and do the right thing. Again, it was well worth the wait.

Honkytonkmn 01-05-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4777586)
Well, it wasn't easy. That is the longest I have ever been without a dog my entire life. We had a long hard road to getting a pup. We thought about a different breed for awhile (Malinios) then decided to go with another GSD, so we thought rescue was the way to go. Well, breed specific rescues in our area were (trying to be nice) not working out.

I had contacted a breeder about 2 available pups but they were expensive. I told her that I would have to wait until January to incur that kind of cost. Late October she contacted me again and said she had a confirmed pregnancy and the timing should work out. We went to visit her facility and it was all a waiting game from there. We were so impressed it was worth the wait. So far this pup was definitely worth the wait. Temperament wise, he is exactly what we wanted.

I tried really hard to keep my desire for a dog in check and do the right thing. Again, it was well worth the wait.

Yea, I hear ya. We got really lucky about 2 weeks after our Dixie died, I saw an ad for puppies from a very reputable breeder/police dog trainer, they had an accident litter that was about to be born that they were selling much cheaper than their planned litters.

It was hard for me to wait 6 weeks! But I'm glad we did.