German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New parent of a GSD mix (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/390762-new-parent-gsd-mix.html)

Karpaasi 01-03-2014 08:25 PM

New parent of a GSD mix

1 Attachment(s)
It's been almost a month since I rescued Greta from the local animal shelter. She's a super sweet GSD/Husky/Lab mix. Her previous family surrendered her due to an extended leave situation.

This site was indispensable in my quest to learn more about German Shepherds before and after I adopted Greta. For that I am extremely grateful.

Greta seems to display physical and behavioral traits of all three breeds. She definitely has the alertness, nosiness and intelligence of a GSD. She loves exercise, people and affection. Her athleticism is remarkable.

Over the past month we've gotten into a good routine. She's crated during the day, but we go on long, brisk walks twice a day and even longer walks on the weekend. Plus, when I'm home she gets my full attention, and I take her with me whenever possible. We live by NILIF, and she's good with basic commands, though she still needs more training.

She's not perfect. She does have a high prey drive. It's manageable when she's on a leash, but there are times when she gets extremely focused on a deer, cat, etc. On one hand I admire her animal instinct, but she's never rewarded for this behavior.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and Greta and say thanks for all the great advice on this site. I'm looking forward to several great years ahead with Greta (she's 2.5 years old).

Rob
Central NC

Xena9012 01-03-2014 08:38 PM

Such beautiful looking dog. Welcome to the site!

Karpaasi 01-03-2014 08:41 PM

Yep, I get lots of compliments. And the occasional "whoa" when I'm walking her on the other side of the tracks. :)

Eiros 01-03-2014 08:48 PM

What a sweet face! Thanks for rescuing!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TAR HEEL MOM 01-03-2014 09:11 PM

So striking! I love, love the yellow/gold on the white. Makes me think of a dreamsicle :)

Thanks for adopting her!

Karpaasi 01-03-2014 09:49 PM

Dreamsicle, funny. Her coloring is interesting. When's she's outside in natural light you notice her Husky markings - white mask and white markings underneath and on her side.

I like her brown ears. :)

Huck 01-03-2014 09:59 PM

Beautiful :) Welcome, Greta!

Loneforce 01-03-2014 10:01 PM

Welcome to you and Greta!

MyHans-someBoy 01-03-2014 10:19 PM

Welcome!

Would love to see more pictures when you have a chance. She is a beautiful girl. :)

Karpaasi 01-03-2014 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the poor quality and lack of action shots.