Newbie in need of help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie in need of help!

Hi everyone I'm new on here but not new to owning the most beautiful breed of dog. Sadly our last one died 4yrs ago. I'm finally ready for another one and hoping it will get along with my 5yr old cavachion. I had a male last time and got him from a rescue centre. He had an awful illness where his immune system attacked his nervous system.
I have 2 young children and my son is desperate to get another one. My daughter wasn't born so will be a first for her.
Ok enough rambling (sorry got so much whirling around my brain at the moment, a million and one questions but now I'm here I've forgotten them lol).
My dog is female. Would you recommend a dog or a bitch? What do hip scores mean? I understand about the hip displacement but not the scoring. Is there anyway that a registered puppy would know of any history like my old dog "Rookie" had?
I'm not looking to find one until sept as we are going on holiday and don't want to get one before we go away as it wouldn't be fair on the pup. This gives me time to do my homework and find a good breeder too.
Many thanks
summeroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is a great place to start Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Knowing the parents is a good way of knowing some of the medical issues. Do you want a puppy or adult dog? If an adult, maybe you can talk to the original owner to get some details.

Welcome to the forum. For some reason the voice I read your post in had a British accent.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the welcome.
I'm not a first time owner as have owned a gsd before but he was a rescue dog and along with that came a list of health problems. This time we would love to have a puppy and raise one as part of the family. I'm hoping that getting one from a pup will not only give us a good indication health wise but also give us the maximum amount of time with it.

Lol yes cheyanna in from the not so sunny and very flooded England. Well the garden of England as it's referred to.......Kent! Xx
Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Whoooopsie!
I signed up on my iPhone so can't read much while I'm typing but have just realised this isn't a uk forum! I've just found that one and have registered there too.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

hopefully you keep on posting here too, and show us a pic of the pup when you get him/her.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrGSD88 View Post
hopefully you keep on posting here too, and show us a pic of the pup when you get him/her.
Of course. I plan to bore anyone that shows an interest hahahahaha. Thanks for the welcome. Maybe I should move countries. You guys on here are far more friendly but shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone I said that
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

You say the garden of England isn't flooded so much. Lucky you are, I live in Surrey - horrible! Very tired of it, but South always was flooded more often. Bought this recently: Dog Overall Long II at zooplus,
vertually it saved my life.
This forum and "My German Shepherd" both are very helpful.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
You say the garden of England isn't flooded so much. Lucky you are, I live in Surrey - horrible! Very tired of it, but South always was flooded more often. Bought this recently: Dog Overall Long II at zooplus,
vertually it saved my life.
This forum and "My German Shepherd" both are very helpful.
David, I live in a village next to yalding. I'm sure you've seen it on the news. It's dreadful here. I hope your home isn't too damaged. Thanks for the tips x
Old 12-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Im from cheshire! Not much bad weather here thankfully, i hope its not too bad near you guys 😊 keep us updated on the new pup 😊

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Benson** is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.