Hello! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello!

Hi all!

This is my first post here and thought I'd use it to introduce myself. I'm a member of several Internet forums, but this is my first dog forum!

My wife, two young kids (7, 5) and I live in Kansas. We have been researching dog breeds that we thought would suit our family and we decided on the GSD. We put a deposit on a male pup the other night and are SO excited, yet so frustrated as we have to wait another 6-7 weeks for him!! He's only a week or two old right now. We were able to hold him; cute little guy! Named him "Luger."

We had a Beagle a few years back that, honestly, we didn't learn enough about them prior to bringing him home. He wound up being quite a handful and it was our fault, but was he the most friendly, loving little guy. Unfortunately, he dug a hole (the ONLY time he had ever dug!) in some wet dirt, got out and was hit by a car within minutes. That was a few years ago; we were pretty broken up about it.

So, this time around we're trying to do things right. We've been doing a lot of research on the GSD, have already spoken with a lady that does obedience training and will enroll in classes, and even are getting our bikes in working order so we can do rides/runs/jogs through the park with Luger.

Another step in preparation has led me here! Just hoping to learn as much as we can in the next few weeks. Thanks for having me!
GSDav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome aboard. There is a section for people getting new pups/gsds, you might want to look through.

It's hard to wait.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Welcome. I am a first time dog owner and first time GSD owner. I would not have thought a GSD was for me, but then I puppy sat one and I learned it was the one for me. Is there a shelter in your area or a rescue? Maybe you can volunteer to foster one first. Most are high energy dogs. I lucked out with Fiona. She is low energy like me. The best thing that ever happened me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Welcome!! Congrats on your decision.

The pup section of the forum is great. So much information about socialization, exercise, etc. Proper socialization is so crucial for GSD pups.

Careful with the bikes, GSD grow fast the first year and you don't want to do any damage over exerting them too young. That is in the pup section as well

I would also suggest reading up about Temperament in pups. It appears you already have a designated pup, it may help you know what your getting and how to train and exercise appropriately.

Thats my $.02 It's a wonderful journey.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for the welcome, thoughts, and suggestions!

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a GSD rescue near us, but I'll search again. I searched once before, but didn't see any immediate results. We have a humane society in town and have been over once before. We were considering adopting a dog at first until we saw these little guys (once we knew what we wanted); decided to pounce on the opportunity.

Noted about the bikes! Great tip. Obviously, I still have a lot of learning to do.

As far as temperament goes in them, that's another area where I failed to be intelligent. While speaking with the trainer yesterday she mentioned that often the seller will let you put a deposit on a pup, then come back for delivery to pick out your dog (in the order the deposit was received) so that you can see some personality. I hadn't even thought about that; we picked our little "lump" out that night and put a collar on him so they could tell him apart. We obviously have no clue what he'll be like, unfortunately, so I may call back to see if they sold the others and whether the other way might be an option. Either way, we'll love him!
GSDav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.