Hello! Puppy shopping here! Male v Female question inside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello! Puppy shopping here! Male v Female question inside

Hi everyone,
Usually I live in Seattle, WA and Watertown, NY. I've been wanting a German Shepherd and it looks like the Spring/Summer of 2014 is when I'll be picking one up. I don't care if it's from a breeder or a rescue, I just want a pup to work with. I'm picking Spring/Summer because that's when I'll be back in the States and that will also leave me time to train the pup before the snowy season of Upstate New York arrives..

Sorry if these are answered already, I've been lurking here a few days now but my internet connection is limited (I'm in Afghanistan).

I'm only set on German Shepherds. I want to get a dog that can run at a decent pace (6:00 mi in cooler temperature) for 1-5 miles. Here are some questions:

1. I know you have to ease them into it after their growth plates are set. I can still take them running at their own pace. Is it ok to run at a slower place where I'm on pavement and my pup is on grass? I'd watch its fatigue level carefully.

2. With females being generally lighter, are they more ideal for me as a running partner? I imagine a 55lbs dog can run faster and further than a 90lbs dog... But that's not necessarily true in our own species.

3. I generally live in New York, but if I buy a pup from Washington would it be horribly traumatic for it to be in the belly of the plane for that cross-country flight? I'd really like to avoid it but I'd like inputs on this. I know... I'd feel absolutely terrible regardless of whether people say they'll be fine or not.

Any opinion is appreciated!

Last edited by boogieman065; 12-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.
boogieman065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

A male or female would be fine for that distance and pace. But they have to be worked up to it. You cannot do any forced running until the pup in well over a year old, probably not until 18 mo. Not Even slower running with pup on grass.

I shipped a pup from Washington state to Baltimore. He was fine.

If you want to get going right into running, then a rescue would be your best bet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good to hear. Thank you. I guess I'll be patient with the running if I get a young one!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to you! There are some great rescues on the east coast with wonderful dogs needing homes.

I understand about the internet connection. It stank in Kuwait and Iraq too. Thanks for your service.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also live in Washington as well, when you get your puppy we should introduce both our puppies together...then again by summer my puppy will be a dog hehe. Thank you for your service!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

We flew to Montana and then rented a van to drive 1700 miles home with our pup! But that's just how we personally felt about it.
Here is a new site put together by Wildwolf and others from this blog that might answer questions you have about the breed and also lists breeders. German Shepherd Guide - Home

As the others have said......Hats off to you and THANK YOU SO MUCH for your service to us and our country!

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 12-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

as long as you work up to that, the dog should be fine. Just make sure they're healthy obviously.

Shipping a dog isn't going to traumatize them. My guy came from Kansas to Maryland. He was less than thrilled being in the crate more than anything. You could hear him being carried into the building despite jets overhead.

Have a friend who lives in Watertown, just in case you didn't already know, watch the dog laws there.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman065 View Post
1. I know you have to ease them into it after their growth plates are set. I can still take them running at their own pace. Is it ok to run at a slower place where I'm on pavement and my pup is on grass? I'd watch its fatigue level carefully.

2. With females being generally lighter, are they more ideal for me as a running partner? I imagine a 55lbs dog can run faster and further than a 90lbs dog... But that's not necessarily true in our own species.

3. I generally live in New York, but if I buy a pup from Washington would it be horribly traumatic for it to be in the belly of the plane for that cross-country flight? I'd really like to avoid it but I'd like inputs on this. I know... I'd feel absolutely terrible regardless of whether people say they'll be fine or not.!
1. imo no, puppies should only be exercised gently and not for too long, the best form of exercise for young puppies is off lead where they can run, trot, walk at their pace and then rest when they need to. Forcing a young puppy to run may contribute towards HD and you may not realise your puppy has had enough. Walking and trotting on both grass and pavement is fine, just let the puppy choose (pavement walking will help file his nails)

2. Not sure, as long as they are healthy and within a lean weight range as an adult, you should be able to run with either sex.

3. Not sure, I personally haven't had experience with buying a puppy from another state, but I know people that have and they encountered no problems and issues from the puppy.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

If your in Afghanistan you could stop in Washington state, pick out you puppy and take him to a vet for a check and some sedation. He will sleep most of the flight across country and arrive a tad groggy but none the worse for wear and tear. I assume you will have a 30 day leave if your military to spend bonding, so you will have plenty of time to get to know your puppy before you go back to work. What are you going to do if you deploy again is the real question. Also I tend to favor a female because they do not have the tendency to roam or escape as often because they are not being driven by that nefarious urge to procreate. Hope this helps and welcome home too!!!

Wheelchair Bob
Sassy, (Rottie) Born 10/9/1999-6/12/2006 RIP
Rbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the answer, everyone. I'm in a position where I would only get the dog if I am leaving the military for sure. Once I get back, I'll have less than 2 years and I won't deploy anymore.

OK, so it seems like shipping the dog will be more of a humane concern for me more than the dog fearing the long, crated flight.

I'll definitely keep myself from taking the pup out running at my pace. I'd rather be patient the first 12-18 months than have to make it suffer later on in life.

Now.... I'm researching more on the raw feeding. I usually do low carb or paleo diet for myself so it makes a lot of sense to me. It wouldn't be a big deal to prepare another 2lbs a day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.