German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   How old was your dog before she was housebroken? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/378425-how-old-your-dog-before-she-housebroken.html)

Mell4now 12-08-2013 10:31 PM

How old was your dog before she was housebroken?

I became Greta's owner when she was 6 months of age. She came to me completely crate trained but not 100% housebroken. She is now 7 months old and although the accidents are rather infrequent, 1-2/week I am getting concerned that her bladder/bowel control is "selective" when outside the crate. She also asks to go out every 2 hours to pee. In her defense her previous owners were able to bring her to work every day so she never had to hold it for extended periods when outside her crate.

By comparison, my Male Golden retriever "Moose" was completely housebroken at 4 months old and the crate was disassembled at 6 months. My husband and I work full time and even when we went into overtime (9 +hours) he would NOT pee or poop in the house (unless he had tummy troubles).

Greta easily goes a full work day in the crate with no accidents but is not showing signs that she is anywhere near ready to be left in our home for even 3 hours without relieving herself.

Was Moose just extremely easy to housebreak? Or is Greta slow to learn that outside is her bathroom. I am now training Greta the same way I did Moose... hopefully she will be able to ditch the crate in a few months.

She also pees 3-5 times when let out in the morning and after work. Moose emptied his bladder all in 1 shot.

How old before your dog was housebroken?

llombardo 12-08-2013 11:23 PM

My older male golden was completely trained at 3 months and out of crate completely at 6 months. My female GSD was able to sleep with me at 4 months, but not completely trained until about 6 months and out if crate completely at 7 months. My golden puppy now is almost 7 months old and I still don't trust him, he is just now starting to ask, but he has to go often. They have all been so different.

Mell4now 12-09-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4638473)
My older male golden was completely trained at 3 months and out of crate completely at 6 months. My female GSD was able to sleep with me at 4 months, but not completely trained until about 6 months and out if crate completely at 7 months. My golden puppy now is almost 7 months old and I still don't trust him, he is just now starting to ask, but he has to go often. They have all been so different.

Thanks for the post Llombardo :) it's good to know that I'm not the only dog owner that goes into month 7 lol. I'm sure she will eventually "get it" but in the meantime I kinda feel bad about the crate thing. On the brighter side because we decided to keep her, my aunt did drop off Greta' s slightly roomier crate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MichaelE 12-09-2013 12:27 AM

Around four months I believe. Lisl has never had an accident since. She is 13 months now.

Mell4now 12-09-2013 12:51 AM

Thanks Michael :)

katieliz 12-09-2013 01:49 AM

Are you absolutely sure she doesn't have a low grade urinary tract infection? Maybe she is somehow able to hold it when she's in the crate, a whole work day is a long time for a seven month old to be crated. I would want to know for sure that this isn't something more than a housebreaking issue.

LaRen616 12-09-2013 08:43 AM

Sinister ~ 13 weeks old

Draco ~ 14 weeks old

ColleenB 12-09-2013 08:45 AM

Scout was at about 11-12 weeks.

Shade 12-09-2013 09:14 AM

Delgado had two accidents when he came home at 9 weeks, not one since :)

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 4639769)
Delgado had two accidents when he came home at 9 weeks, not one since :)

Lucky ...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App