German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   hi all, ner member, first gsd soon (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/376353-hi-all-ner-member-first-gsd-soon.html)

Nadeem 12-05-2013 01:34 AM

hi all, ner member, first gsd soon

Hi all, I am Nadeem from SA.
my wife and I are getting our first dog this weekend, an 8 month old female GSD named Isis.
we are buying her from a gentleman who has a few GSD's and rescued this female from a home where she was not being well taken care of.

we met her for the first time 2 weeks ago and we loved her, I was amazed by her size for an 8 month old puppy, she is big and solid and beautiful.

last weekend I went to visit to take isis for a walk, so I walked isis and the owner walked his other GSD's too. she pulls A LOT. when the walk started she was jumping on me, she was maybe excited, then we started walking and she was pulling a lot, after about 10 minutes she got a bit tired and was not pulling as much but still was not walking on a loose lead nicely. this guy obviously does not do obedience training and such with his dogs.

I am picking her up this week Sunday, I need some tips for the big day. is it a good idea to walk her around the block before taking her to my house so that she can get rid of all the excess energy? I know the owner of the local GSD club and their next obedience training class only starts in February 2014, so in the meantime what can I do about this hectic pulling when we walk? or should I try and find an obedience class that's starts earlier?
on the day i pick her up, when i get to my home, do i let her loose to run around and explore the yard? or do i keep her on a leash and show her around? she is amazingly strong for an 8 month old puppy wow, not strong enough to pull me around but will certainly pull my wife around.

sorry for all the questions, i just want to do things the best way i can. Thank You:)

blehmannwa 12-05-2013 02:04 AM

Welcome. I would give her a walk before taking her home and keep her on her leash while you show her your home. If the yard is fenced I would let her off leash to play and explore.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum about bringing a pup home. My best advice is to try to catch her doing good things. Give her lots of praise and exercise. Tired dogs are good dogs.

If you can get her into an earlier class or do some private instruction before Feb. it might help as this is your first dog.

Miika's Mom 12-05-2013 02:16 AM

Welcome Nadeen :)

For the pulling I would use a pinch collar. I use it on my girl when we go for a walk and there is virtually no pulling and she doesn't mind wearing it at all. If I just use her regular collar she will pull, so she knows as will Isis. (Miika is six months old by the way.) I would start with the collar properly adjusted and resting high on her neck (just behind the ears) as that will give you the greatest control. Usually one or two quick changes of direction or quick snaps on the collar will get their attention and the pulling will cease or at least be greatly reduced. Of course she will need reminding until it become second nature not to pull.

I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions too. They have much more experience than I so you will be sure to get great ideas. Isis is not a little puppy so I would not be worried about using it. They are nicer than choke collars, they just look a little wicked.

Nadeem 12-05-2013 02:32 AM

Thanks Blehmannwa, yes the yard is fully fenced so I will let her go about her business and explore the new territory.

Hey Miikas mom, im telling you, when my wife told me she found a gorgeous 8 month old puppy for us, i didn't expect her to be that big and that strong. i actually bought a choke chain collar already:(. I have not seen the pinch collar at any of the shops I've been to, but I will phone around and see if I can find one today.

Nadeem 12-05-2013 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my girl Isis

Attachment 143873

TaylorGSDT 12-05-2013 10:43 AM

She's beautiful. Congratulations. I agree, definitely look into a pinch collar. I've used one on all dogs I've ever had, along with treats. After I give a correction, if my dog stays in a heel position while walking he/she (I have 2 dogs) gets a treat and the walk resumes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BellaLuna 12-05-2013 11:25 AM

Congratulations, what a cutie she is :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

MaggieRoseLee 12-05-2013 11:31 AM

Wow, she is beautiful! Good for you for finding her!

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-soon-isis.jpg

If I were you I'd find some great dog classes to start up ASAP. Great way to start the bonding and leadership process. Plus help with the pulling.

She's young and without classes I'd hold off on getting the pinch collar until you have a trainer to help with the fit and use.

Instead, there is a harness you can get that will be a big help called the Gentle Leader. Just have the foster parents measure her so you purchase the right size.

Nadeem 12-09-2013 12:43 AM

so I picked her up yesterday morning, shame was sad to take her away from what she knew as home. so we got to my house, she was very distracted and very anxious.

my neighbourhood is full of dogs, almost every single house has dogs, and she was very distracted by all this new surroundings and dogs etc.

so I took her in and I let her explore the place, ah she is tooo sweet. there is a small gap, just big enough to see thru on my wall and the dog next door barks and performs so isis went to wall and im sure she could see the other dog through the small gap, she got very worked up, her hair stood up and she seemed ready to fight, I was a little concerned by this but she settled down after a bit, still went there a few times and barked and stuff, but now it seems ok. I had a trainer over at the house yesterday also, he said I should not worry too much and give her time to get use to her new surroundings.

katieliz 12-09-2013 01:56 AM

Wise trainer to say give her time. Welcome to the board, pretty girl you have there!