Alittle help ?? (srry for posting here all I can do( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alittle help ?? (srry for posting here all I can do(

I have a 10-11 week old puppy that was brought up on purina pro plan an well I didn't have that brand at the house an for a day I fed him alittle puppy chow (all I had) an I just picked up Fromm puppy gold an fed him that today. Will this be a shock to his system ? Is this a good brand for him ?
Also I was told that he was also given Nuvet plus is this something to continue to give him ? Or should I stop the use of it ?
A is there anything on the market to help with there joints ?
Sorry for all the questions had a shepherd when I was younger an it died due to hip problems an I wanna make sure I do the best for my new puppy
http://i44.tinypic.com/25jgime.jpg
Srt4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Srt4ever;4603049]I have a 10-11 week old puppy that was brought up on purina pro plan an well I didn't have that brand at the house an for a day I fed him alittle puppy chow (all I had) an I just picked up Fromm puppy gold an fed him that today. Will this be a shock to his system ? Is this a good brand for him ?
Also I was told that he was also given Nuvet plus is this something to continue to give him ? Or should I stop the use of it ?
Sorry for all the questions had a shepherd when I was younger an it died due to hip problems an I wanna make sure I do the best for my new puppy

Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Fromms is good, but changes in diet should be done gradually, rapid changes can cause upset stomach and the squirts. I don't use nuvet, but there are older threads on it if you want to check them out. Here's a link for an older one. Cute pup!

NuVet?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

[quote=Srt4ever;4603057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt4ever View Post
I have a 10-11 week old puppy that was brought up on purina pro plan an well I didn't have that brand at the house an for a day I fed him alittle puppy chow (all I had) an I just picked up Fromm puppy gold an fed him that today. Will this be a shock to his system ? Is this a good brand for him ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Fromms is good, but changes in diet should be done gradually, rapid changes can cause upset stomach and the squirts. I don't use nuvet, but there are older threads on it if you want to check them out. Here's a link for an older one. Cute pup!

NuVet?
Yeah I see now. He has alittle diareah an softness could do it gradually had no food what so ever. An thank you
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

I feed all my dogs Fromm, it is an excellent food and your puppy will do well on it, they do have a Large Breed Puppy Formula, I have never had to supplement my puppies with anything when feeding a top kibble, other than raw chicken and beef on occasions. Cute puppy and welcome.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Buy a small bag of what your puppy was eating and is used to. Use that bag to add to the Fromm to gradually transition him over.
Such a cute guy.
As for the hips , you can add some supplements such as glucosamine, msm, and fish oil. But start off slowly and not too much as he's still a small puppy. There are lots of good threads here regarding supplements for hips. Just do a search

Joint Supplements

Last edited by Msmaria; 12-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Fromm's is a good food! The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food is also good (Embark, Thrive and Love is for all life stages). Wean him slowly as msmaria suggested. Fromms ingredients are higher quality than the Pro Plan (that contains UN-identified animal sources), so his gut is not use to it. A digestive enzyme and probiotic would also benefit him greatly. Here are two quality ones:

Sunday Sundae:

FEED-SENTIALS | CARMSPACK.com

Digest All Plus:

The Wholistic Pet

NuVet Lab is a conscientious company but I tend to shy away from anything that has "yeast" in it, just in case the a dog could become sensitive to it and itch.

I've read conflicting information on giving young puppies joint supplements such as Chondroitin/Glucosamine. But Mussel Dog, which is sourced from Plankton (from New Zealand), contains natural occurring glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and chondroitin sulfate. It also contains complex proteins, amino acids (glutamine and methionine), vitamins C and E, and naturally chelated minerals, especially zinc, copper and manganese. Chondroitin and glucosamine are both components of natural cartilage and are used within the body to build cartilage. The Chondroitin is known to block enzymes that break down cartilage, helping to protect joints from inflammatory disease. Green lipped mussel works long-term to protect the structural integrity of joints and connective tissue. Is also eases pain and inflammation for dogs (or people) with chronic joint problems. Green Lipid Mussel, unlike other Glucosamine (derived from shell-fish shells) and Chondroitin (generally derived from cow cartilage) products, tends to work faster and data supports better results as it is easier for the body to assimilate.

For puppies/dogs, I would highly recommend Mussel Dog: https://www.musseldoghealth.com/Index.dtm
*Mussel DogŪ is the world's only patented Green-Lipped Mussel oil extract naturally formulated to help maintain a beautiful coat, clear skin, manageable allergies and joint mobility throughout the life of your dog.
*Mussel DogŪ is naturally formulated, produced using a patented process under strict quality control standards for your dog's safety.
*Mussel DogŪ works safely and effectively with no negative side effects.
*Mussel DogŪ promotes great health while reducing inflammation associated with allergies and skin irritation.
The typical K9 diet tends to contain at least 11 times more omega-6s than omega-3s and many researchers believe this imbalance is a significant factor in the rising rate of inflammatory disorders in the dog population in the United States. Mussel Dog's potent formula helps to balance these levels. These omega-3 acids include DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), ETA (eicosatetraenoic acid) and 27 other essential fatty acids. A potent combination found nowhere else in nature.
Should my puppy take Mussel DogŪ?
Absolutely! The best way to prevent health problems and conditions from developing is to be proactive and get your dog on a healthy program of diet, exercise and nutrition. Mussel DogŪ can play an integral role in keeping your dog at peak health!

We take the human version Omaprem: Omaprem | Powerful Natural Pain Relief | Omega-3 DHA Supplement

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a cute fuzzy. I love puppys because they concentrate so hard on being puppies.

Jelpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.