New from Oregon- GSD Pup + adopted 3 yr old husky (questions too!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Default New from Oregon- GSD Pup + adopted 3 yr old husky (questions too!)

Hello from OR.

Can anyone help me with a question, I registered and paid the 20 bucks so I dont feel like a total free loader when I know I can find these links inside the site for free! But soooo busy with puppy haha! At the bottoms ill list 3 questions , and below ill blabble about who im asking the questions about!! Thanks again.

I have Bear, male 12 week GSD. Ive had since 7 weeks. He sits, downs, fetches well and returns so has basic obedience but i'm new to dog world and learning everyday. He is low temperament most of the day ( Only a few scratches, decent amount playing ). During the evening in his CRAY CRAY phase, when I try to distract him the most he is kinda mean to our new adopted female, I cant tell if mad she wont play or mad at her. He talks loudly to her, barks, and tries to T off.

This last Monday we adopted a the super mellow female husky Jinx I speak of. She is so so patient with him, and seems to hold low stress while doing it, but Bear is a little butt head to her! I crated them 1 by 1 when got her home so they know they are equals and both are allowed same places, all toys are mine so far.. besides small stuff that bear has laying around.


1)Any links / help on how to make this adoptions of Jinx , female husky 3 years old and my baby 12 week male German Shep go smoothly and stress free.

2)Any tips for super crazy 2 hours in evening when Bear is super feisty and I dont want to crate him so soon before bedtime. I hear walks are bad till they are older.. he gets plenty exercise walking around yard?

3)Tired of buying new toy after toy only to retire them since he doesnt like chewing them, and hearing knucklebones, rawhide are bad.. what is a GOOD chew toy that he will LIKE lol... some kinda bone? He loooooooves foood!!! He will do anything for food, and loves raw meat.

4) What kinda of ' working it out ' between the two dogs should I allow. Jinx our new one is very assertive and will growl and snap at bear but not bite, and she only does that when bear gets really over the line in her face. They do cuddle when drive, and sleep close together but not touching. Good most of the day but during disputes both seems a little rude to each other.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lynnwood WA
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
Hello from OR.

Can anyone help me with a question, I registered and paid the 20 bucks so I dont feel like a total free loader when I know I can find these links inside the site for free! But soooo busy with puppy haha! At the bottoms ill list 3 questions , and below ill blabble about who im asking the questions about!! Thanks again.

I have Bear, male 12 week GSD. Ive had since 7 weeks. He sits, downs, fetches well and returns so has basic obedience but i'm new to dog world and learning everyday. He is low temperament most of the day ( Only a few scratches, decent amount playing ). During the evening in his CRAY CRAY phase, when I try to distract him the most he is kinda mean to our new adopted female, I cant tell if mad she wont play or mad at her. He talks loudly to her, barks, and tries to T off.

This last Monday we adopted a the super mellow female husky Jinx I speak of. She is so so patient with him, and seems to hold low stress while doing it, but Bear is a little butt head to her! I crated them 1 by 1 when got her home so they know they are equals and both are allowed same places, all toys are mine so far.. besides small stuff that bear has laying around.


1)Any links / help on how to make this adoptions of Jinx , female husky 3 years old and my baby 12 week male German Shep go smoothly and stress free.

2)Any tips for super crazy 2 hours in evening when Bear is super feisty and I dont want to crate him so soon before bedtime. I hear walks are bad till they are older.. he gets plenty exercise walking around yard?

3)Tired of buying new toy after toy only to retire them since he doesnt like chewing them, and hearing knucklebones, rawhide are bad.. what is a GOOD chew toy that he will LIKE lol... some kinda bone? He loooooooves foood!!! He will do anything for food, and loves raw meat.

4) What kinda of ' working it out ' between the two dogs should I allow. Jinx our new one is very assertive and will growl and snap at bear but not bite, and she only does that when bear gets really over the line in her face. They do cuddle when drive, and sleep close together but not touching. Good most of the day but during disputes both seems a little rude to each other.
I will answer your questions from my experience.

1. YouTube look for Positive Training, a guy named Tab289 is awesome with training tips.

2. Walks are not too bad, just don't go overboard, as long as he is not jumping around with his joints still developing shouldnt be bad. I walk my 14 week old puppy at least 20-30 minutes before bed time plus do some sort of training/playing around to tire him out a little. Remember he is still a puppy and will have loads of energy.

3. Gunner like toys that bounce around so he can chase them around by himself. He also likes those braided ropes, but I have to make it more appealing to him than my hand. When he tries to nip at me I sternly say NO! and put the rope him his mouth and play tug of war (dont let them win) or they will think they are alpha.

4. Take them out on a pack walk, its good for them, and you can assert yourself as pack leader.

I hope this helps you out, then again I am not an expert trainer these are just from my experience with my 2 dogs. Good luck, and most of all, Have Fun!
__________________
Gunner- GSD 8/20/2013
Yuki- American Eskimo 6/17/2000
ddrGSD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,003
Default

Welcome to the forum and you do have your hands full with 2 new dogs.

Good thing you have crates because the older dog (and you all ) can use it for 'time outs' when it gets nuts. But management of the puppy's day BEFORE the crazy time will work even better. I feel a bit sorry for your Husky because puppy's just really do take more time and attention so your bonding with him just will have to take a bit of a back burner or you'll end up with an adult GSD that's a complete monster .

Don't work too much on 'obedience' with your new puppy. What's most important (and will help with the end of the day crazy ) are things mentioned ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Have you also seen this --> GSD Puppy Primer Tips

Good luck!
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member
 
Rei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 1,328
Default

Welcome from another Oregonian! If that's your puppy in your avatar, he is absolutely adorable!! It really doesn't get much cuter than a long coated GSD puppy. Is your puppy from a local breeder?

Because I live in a one dog household, I won't be of much help and can only offer my encouragement and support. Puppies are tough, and GSD puppies are especially evil.

2) Short walks on pavement would be fine, and longer walks on grass or dirt are okay, too. When my dog was a puppy we played a lot of tug (which he loved, but can be counterproductive if you don't want to encourage tugging) and worked on building his ball drive (he doesn't fetch naturally). I also recommend a lot of behavior shaping and loose training (more game than training, really). Mental workouts can be even more exhausting than physical exercise!

3) Raw knuckle bones are great high value chews/treats, and I also like bully sticks and deer antlers for dogs. And if you don't already have a Kong, get one! You can get fancy and stuff it like so, or just fill it with peanut butter or frozen yogurt and call it good.

Welcome to the board!
__________________
Trent - 2/20/09 German Shepherd Dog

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the links!

The internet is so hard.. a lot of conflicting information.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Yes that is my Bear! He is super cute lol, when socializing him on a human walk about 99% of the people he passes stops to admire his cuteness. A car even pulled over to come say hi. Thanks so much for the info below. Yes EVIL BEAR lol!! but he is pretty dang good over all if the kids dont wind him up to much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Welcome from another Oregonian! If that's your puppy in your avatar, he is absolutely adorable!! It really doesn't get much cuter than a long coated GSD puppy. Is your puppy from a local breeder?

Because I live in a one dog household, I won't be of much help and can only offer my encouragement and support. Puppies are tough, and GSD puppies are especially evil.

2) Short walks on pavement would be fine, and longer walks on grass or dirt are okay, too. When my dog was a puppy we played a lot of tug (which he loved, but can be counterproductive if you don't want to encourage tugging) and worked on building his ball drive (he doesn't fetch naturally). I also recommend a lot of behavior shaping and loose training (more game than training, really). Mental workouts can be even more exhausting than physical exercise!

3) Raw knuckle bones are great high value chews/treats, and I also like bully sticks and deer antlers for dogs. And if you don't already have a Kong, get one! You can get fancy and stuff it like so, or just fill it with peanut butter or frozen yogurt and call it good.

Welcome to the board!
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,449
Default

Hello and welcome to the forum! Have you tried using a flirt pole with Bear yet? Great Toy/tool for burning off some energy and incorporate training as well. There are lots of threads on proper use, just type flirt pole in the search block just under the black tool bar near the top of the page. Scroll through and check them out. When we brought our male pup home last year he was hard on our two females, they gave him a puppy pass for a while, but keep a close eye on their interactions and intervene if he pushes things too far.

Last edited by Nigel; 12-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,449
Default

Here's one of the older threads, If I linked the correct one, it should have a video link in it.

Proper use of a flirt pole???
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks!! That looks fun, maybe I can rig something up with his old thin nylon leash and half a fishing pole / a stuffed animal?!

Ill also see if I can find this search function, thanks!
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
Thanks!! That looks fun, maybe I can rig something up with his old thin nylon leash and half a fishing pole / a stuffed animal?!

Ill also see if I can find this search function, thanks!
Easy enough to make, but you can also use a lunge whip from a farm/tractor supply store. I get them for about $12-15.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com