Just an introduction - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just an introduction

New GSD owner here. I've always had retrievers and never intended on picking up a shepherd. So we rescued this pup from a bad situation about five weeks ago. At first we were planning on fostering him until he found a good home but no one met my standards and I'm too attached and now, he's mine. We have a very active 9 year old lab a 2 year old papillon and an uninterested cat. All seems to be going well. Vet recommended neutering ASAP so tomorrow is the day.

I figure he's about 4-5 months old. No history of vaccines and he definitely had worms. Were into our second round of vaccines now and looking much more healthy. He's socializing well with the family and other dogs. No chewing or digging issues and very smart. Not used to this breed but it seems I've always been a GSD owner and never knew it.

My concerns being that I'm worries about his long term health and have no info on how he was bred. Obviously nothing I can do but take care of the now. Any suggestions to preserve his health and precautionary measures? He get plenty of exercise, mental stimulation, and eats billion dollar GSD puppy food recommended by vet and police K9 buddies.

Oh and here's Oberan
Just an introduction-imageuploadedbypg-free1361330371.075229.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Oberan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

welcome. as far as health goes, with no known history, its a guessing game that turns into the wait and see game. Really just take it a day at a time. GSDs are a fun breed. I can't imagine not having at least one in the house. Had to have my male shepherd mix put to sleep recently and am planning for my next PB male coming towards the end of the year. Currently have a female who is almost 3. Really fun dogs. Check around the forum and learn! you'll learn more than you thought was possible! Enjoy!
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh and a training plan. I don't know how to gauge his personality to figure what he'd be good at. I don't want a protection dog or to teach him aggression at all. And from what I've seen from him he's pretty mellow anyway. What can I teach him to do?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to you and Oberan(um, shouldnt' it be Oberon? LOL, Bells brewery is in my hometown and everyone knows what Oberon is Always a celebration when it is released, sign of Summer!
I would maybe rethink the early neutering...all vets suggest it, but it isn't adviseable if you are responsible and don't let the pup roam about. Let the puppy grow up some and keep those hormones intact. If you are set on fixing him, ask the vet if they would do a vasectomy instead, at least he'll still be able to grow with his hormones.
I just posted a link to a book on longevity and health...worth reading, it touches on so many things and the early neuter/spay is one of the main subjects on the health effects.
Pukka's Promise
Here is another study article on spay/neuter's
Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health :: UC Davis News & Information

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-19-2013 at 10:34 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just keep him mentally and physically stimulated.

Lots of exercise and train - basic obedience and, if you like, tricks.

Glad he's "home."

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberan's Dad View Post
Oh and a training plan. I don't know how to gauge his personality to figure what he'd be good at. I don't want a protection dog or to teach him aggression at all. And from what I've seen from him he's pretty mellow anyway. What can I teach him to do?

thats entirely up to you what you want to teach him to do. Sky's the limit so to speak. Thesed dogs learn and learn quickly. I taught my female to play dead when I said "BANG!" in about five minutes. Some GSDs learn fast than other and some learn more than others. It depends on the owner and the dog. The dog is only limited by the owners training. He can literally learn just about anything you want to teach him.

My female is a very mellow GSD compared to my last female and she doesnt have a mean bone in her body. No protection sense at all. She doesn't even bark at the door and most of the time she doesnt run to it when someone is ringing the bell or knocking. She just listens and stays where she is. Some dogs are like that. Others are more interested.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

@onyx' girl yes you're correct on the spelling. Feeling a little challenged today lol. Ill blame the three bathroom breaks every night and sleep deprivation

Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good reading too, vet trip cancelled. He keeps them at least until he's grown up. Thanks for the save.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.