First GSD So Any Tips? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First GSD So Any Tips?

Hello,

We are getting a 2 year old GSD tomorrow although I am allergic to animal dander (She won the battle..LOL). I saw alot on new puppies but not much about first time ownership of an older GSD. Any insight to shorter our learning curves would be appreciated! Thanks!
mred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi there,

I'm a first time GSD owner too. I did a lot of reading over the 16 years or so that I was planning to get him (which I finally did just this last weekend!).

I recommend a few books...the last two are also very helpful with other dog breeds, but particularly apply to GSD:

German Shepherd Dogs, by David Fritsche German Shepherd Dogs, by David Fritsche
(Dave is a great guy and really knows about GSDs. I've met him and his dogs and was totally impressed).

The Art of Raising a Puppy, by the Monks of New Skete The Art of Raising a Puppy, by the Monks of New Skete

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend, by the same monks. How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend, by the same monks.
They breed GSDs at their monastery
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Find a good trainer in your area, preferably one who has/loves GSD's and take some obedience classes.
Learn how to read your new dog Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community
This site is a great place to be to learn about living with your new dog, good luck!
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome and good luck with your new family member I'm sure she will be worth all the learning you will be doing!

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome!!!

I adopted my dog when he was around the same age! Congrats on your new addition.

Some advice...

Let the dog settle into the routine of your house before introducing a lot of additional stimuli. In other words, focus on building the relationship with you and your family. Provide routine and structure. Once the dog feels comfortable and confident in his new environment - and you have a better understanding of his/her temperament - you can start introducing him/her to the world beyond your family and your home!!!

I have always been impressed with how quickly adopted dogs (especially GSDs) bond with their new caretaker. I say this as someone who has fostered quite a few GSDs. Riley, my current dog, was first a foster and then, well, he found his forever home with me : )

Have fun. It is always exciting to bring in a new family member.

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 02-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Some practical advice from a long-time GSD owner. Don't leave food on the counter, or you will be trying to catch your pup in the act so that you can properly break her of the habit. Vacuum your house at least daily, unless you like GSD tumbleweeds and stray hairs in your Cqptain Crunch and on your coat collar. Keep suits, woolen peacoats, cashmere sweaters in dry cleaning bags or they will look like they have grown a second coat. Every couple of months vacuum up the shepherd hairs that have migrated to you shoes from your socks. These along with dryer lint and old candle wax and some pistachio shells make good fire starers. Be ready to give up your coach, sofa, love seat, and even your side of the bed. Be fully prepared that your pup will snore, sometimes loud enough to peel paint. Have a chemical warfare gas mask handy because the silent business that comes from that end WILL DEFINITELY peel paint, let alone permanently scare your nasal cavities.

Be ready to experience the most intense loyalty from a dog you can ever imagine, treat her right and she will be your protector (and your family's) for as long as she is physically able. Give her the proper training and you will be able to take her anywhere knowing full well that only those who mean you harm have anything to fear from your companion. Know that with proper training she can be left alone with very young children and guard them from harm.

Read the training books by the monks, read more training books by other folks concerning different training styles, and then read even more training books by others. Armed with the combined knowledge develop the style of training that works for you and your dog, based on what you both want out of your relationship.

Last edited by CT-Mike; 02-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
Some practical advice from a long-time GSD owner. Don't leave food on the counter, or you will be trying to catch your pup in the act so that you can properly break her of the habit. Vacuum your house at least daily, unless you like GSD tumbleweeds and stray hairs in your Cqptain Crunch and on your coat collar. Keep suits, woolen peacoats, cashmere sweaters in dry cleaning bags or they will look like they have grown a second coat. Every couple of months vacuum up the shepherd hairs that have migrated to you shoes from your socks. These along with dryer lint and old candle wax and some pistachio shells make good fire starers. Be ready to give up your coach, sofa, love seat, and even your side of the bed. Be fully prepared that your pup will snore, sometimes loud enough to peel paint. Have a chemical warfare gas mask handy because the silent business that comes from that end WILL DEFINITELY peel paint, let alone permanently scare your nasal cavities.

Be ready to experience the most intense loyalty from a dog you can ever imagine, treat her right and she will be your protector (and your family's) for as long as she is physically able. Give her the proper training and you will be able to take her anywhere knowing full well that only those who mean you harm have anything to fear from your companion. Know that with proper training she can be left alone with very young children and guard them from harm.
OMG, have you been to my house?
Crkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crkwolf View Post
OMG, have you been to my house?
Nope, but I have a pretty good idea of what every house where a GSD lives looks like.
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.