Hello! My first dog, not sure what he looks like! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello! My first dog, not sure what he looks like!

So, after owning my first home for a few months, I talked to friend of mine about getting a dog for security purposes. It wasn't a very serious discussion, just something I had been thinking about for a while. The next morning...

I usually wait in front of my friend's house since I carpool with him to work. As I was pulling up, I noticed that he and his wife seemed occupied with something.

Turns out that someone had abandoned a 3Mo. old puppy in front of their home. My friend's no stranger to this, as 4 of his 6 current dogs are from other people dumping their dogs there (They live in a relatively isolated cul de sac).

My friend couldn't afford to care for yet another dog, and mentioned that I had wanted a dog - so it was a match made in heaven! I named him Mickey, because of his white socks

He weighed about 15lbs, and had HUGE paws. I had thought he was a Black Lab/Pit from the markings, but I was surprised later on.

Unfortunately, 3 days later the puppy started throwing up, had diarrhea, and could not eat at all. After taking him to the emergency clinic, my greatest fear was confirmed - he had Parvo. What's even more sad is that he was most likely abandoned because he contracted it, and the owners didn't want to deal with the responsibility. I had two choices, either let nature run its course, or spend $1500 to save him. I couldn't live with myself by letting him die, so I ended up spending the money to treat him. It was the best decision I have ever made.

I picked him up, and he was happier than a clam!

A good friend of mine babysitted him while I was on a trip, when I got him back, his ears were standing up!

At this point, I was really curious what mixes of breeds he had in him. I was thinking Black Lab/GSD/Pit, but maybe the folks here can give me some insight?

Today he is 6 Months old, 45lbs! I absolutely love this guy. He's eager to learn and please - loves rolling around and cuddling! He faithfully looks after the premises while I'm at work, and sleeps next to me during the night

*** Oversized pic deleted by AMIND ***

Here's the photostream for more pics
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4JtdOXmJfBRCX

Thank you!!
Johnson

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-19-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Max picture size allowed: 800 X 600
MaczPayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

What a cutie and thanks for saving his life. I have no idea what he could be but does look like gsd mixed in there. Welcome to the forum
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no idea but I can tell you he's absolutely adorable and it really does sound like fate meant for you to get this little guy! I would agree there is possibly some GSD in there with the size of those satellite dishes he's got!
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cute pup. Looks like a healthy dose of GSD for sure! I wouldn't be surprised if the other was pit bull, but hard to tell until he gets older. If it is pit, he'll be a combo of my two favorite breeds!
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.