German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello! My first dog, not sure what he looks like!

490 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  battleborn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, after owning my first home for a few months, I talked to friend of mine about getting a dog for security purposes. It wasn't a very serious discussion, just something I had been thinking about for a while. The next morning...

I usually wait in front of my friend's house since I carpool with him to work. As I was pulling up, I noticed that he and his wife seemed occupied with something.

Turns out that someone had abandoned a 3Mo. old puppy in front of their home. My friend's no stranger to this, as 4 of his 6 current dogs are from other people dumping their dogs there (They live in a relatively isolated cul de sac).

My friend couldn't afford to care for yet another dog, and mentioned that I had wanted a dog - so it was a match made in heaven! I named him Mickey, because of his white socks :)

He weighed about 15lbs, and had HUGE paws. I had thought he was a Black Lab/Pit from the markings, but I was surprised later on.

Unfortunately, 3 days later the puppy started throwing up, had diarrhea, and could not eat at all. After taking him to the emergency clinic, my greatest fear was confirmed - he had Parvo. What's even more sad is that he was most likely abandoned because he contracted it, and the owners didn't want to deal with the responsibility. I had two choices, either let nature run its course, or spend $1500 to save him. I couldn't live with myself by letting him die, so I ended up spending the money to treat him. It was the best decision I have ever made.

I picked him up, and he was happier than a clam!

A good friend of mine babysitted him while I was on a trip, when I got him back, his ears were standing up!

At this point, I was really curious what mixes of breeds he had in him. I was thinking Black Lab/GSD/Pit, but maybe the folks here can give me some insight?

Today he is 6 Months old, 45lbs! I absolutely love this guy. He's eager to learn and please - loves rolling around and cuddling! He faithfully looks after the premises while I'm at work, and sleeps next to me during the night :)

*** Oversized pic deleted by AMIND ***

Here's the photostream for more pics :)
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4JtdOXmJfBRCX

Thank you!!
Johnson

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no idea but I can tell you he's absolutely adorable and it really does sound like fate meant for you to get this little guy! I would agree there is possibly some GSD in there with the size of those satellite dishes he's got!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.