Soft coat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Soft coat

Hi, i've been feeding Yogi Eathborn Hollistic Puppy vantage, supplementing it small amounts of raw lamb, turkey, and beef hearts. The puppy food contains vitamin e, omega 3s and i think 6s. Ive also been using training treats with omegas in it once in a while.
Now his coat went from somewhat wiry to really soft. id say its about the same texture of his head and close to the texture of his ears, but i read somewhere that soft coats in a german shepherd is an unwanted trait, so should i stop loading him up on the omegas?
I don't really want to though as i want to have as many hip preventative measures because his hind legs seem to still be a little weak. Also ive been giving him one zukes hip action with Chondroitin and glucosamine a day.
Also i think ive been posting in the wrong sections, sorry, im new to using forums in general, so where should i be posting me questions?

Last edited by YogiBear; 02-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.
YogiBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welcome! Your could post your question in the Puppy Palace - feeding your puppy or in Health - diet & nutrition. But imo, the omegas and diet aren't causing the soft coat.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks, so would the coat just be a genetic thing that he's growing in to? When i got him a few weeks ago his coat was slightly wiry and hes been changing alot. His ears started perking up and his shoulder fur is getting a little lighter
Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is the puppy - coats change as they grow into their adult coats
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

**** be 5 months in a couple months. Hes a black sable and ive been told he should keep changing colors until hes 2 but im not sure if i should stop feeding him alot of things with omegas in them. I started to do it because he had really itchy skin when i first got him and lots of dandruff i also wanted to give him omega 3s as a hip dysplasia preventative because i didnt get him straight from the breeder and have never seen his parents, i got him from an old woman who doesnt speak a word of english who was trying to train him as a guard dog when he was only 8 weeks old but she gave him up after a couple months because he was "too timid". Hes not chewing on himself any longer but his coat is getting really soft. Like so soft i think he might be the only GSD that i LOVE petting. Is this soft coat an unwanted genetic trait or is it from all the omegas ive been giving him?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think what happened is that your pup wasn't on a good diet and his coat was in poor shape (you noticed the dandruff, etc). Now that you are feeding him a good diet and giving him omega 3 his coat has improved. He also has his winter undercoat which makes his coat thick and soft.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.