Thinking about a German Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
FrisbeeGolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Default Thinking about a German Shepherd

Hello GSD Peeps, My family and I lost our Pomeranian last December. We have been thinking about getting a German Shepherd, and I have a few questions.

First, a little info about myself and family. Our only child left in the house is almost 15. He is active in sports, and the family tries to support that as much as possible. My wife is a restaurant manager that works 50 hours a week. I work at a church early in the morning. After my morning shift I usually go Frisbee golfing. In the afternoons Monday through Thursday I drive for the county I live in. During the weekends I play in Disc Golf tournaments, go mushroom picking, Kayaking and more.

Our previous dog was absolutely perfect. He was the most well behaved dog at the Disc Golf course. I trained him to stay close to me, he would heal to the snap of my fingers. However, I always worried about other dogs getting ahold of him.

I would like my next dog to go Frisbee Golfing, Truffle hunting, boating, I'm even interested in SAR.

now some Q's

The dog will be with me the most. Does a German Shepherd sound like a good fit for my lifestyle and interests?

Are there working line breeders that breed smaller GSD's? like 40 - 70 lbs?

We have considered getting a small dog at some point. Should we get the GSD first or small dog?

I know a GSD is going to need a lot more socialization than my pom needed. I plan on lots of it. I have a good friend that has a farm with all kinds of animals and a Home Depot near by. I'm familiar with local trainers and plan on plenty of Obedience classes etc.

Thanks. All responses appreciated.
FrisbeeGolfer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

a GSD is perfect for you. you could teach him/her
to find truffles. i would get the GSD first and i would
make sure the GSD was highly trained and socialized before
bringing in a 2nd dog. good luck with your GSD pup.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
ladydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15
Default

I am partial to the GSD's but it sounds like you are going to have plenty of time to spend with your dog, I think a GSD would be a great dog to have.
__________________
LadyDi

Be Kind
ladydi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,497
Default

Welcome It sounds like a GSD would be a great dog for you and your family
__________________
~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
a GSD is perfect for you. you could teach him/her
to find truffles. i would get the GSD first and i would
make sure the GSD was highly trained and socialized before
bringing in a 2nd dog. good luck with your GSD pup.
"Truffles"? Heh! Heh!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeGolfer View Post
Hello GSD Peeps, My family and I lost our Pomeranian last December. We have been thinking about getting a German Shepherd, and I have a few questions.

First, a little info about myself and family. Our only child left in the house is almost 15. He is active in sports, and the family tries to support that as much as possible. My wife is a restaurant manager that works 50 hours a week. I work at a church early in the morning. After my morning shift I usually go Frisbee golfing. In the afternoons Monday through Thursday I drive for the county I live in. During the weekends I play in Disc Golf tournaments, go mushroom picking, Kayaking and more.

Our previous dog was absolutely perfect. He was the most well behaved dog at the Disc Golf course. I trained him to stay close to me, he would heal to the snap of my fingers. However, I always worried about other dogs getting ahold of him.

I would like my next dog to go Frisbee Golfing, Truffle hunting, boating, I'm even interested in SAR.

now some Q's

The dog will be with me the most. Does a German Shepherd sound like a good fit for my lifestyle and interests?

Are there working line breeders that breed smaller GSD's? like 40 - 70 lbs?

We have considered getting a small dog at some point. Should we get the GSD first or small dog?

I know a GSD is going to need a lot more socialization than my pom needed. I plan on lots of it. I have a good friend that has a farm with all kinds of animals and a Home Depot near by. I'm familiar with local trainers and plan on plenty of Obedience classes etc.

Thanks. All responses appreciated.
Have you considered a Corgi (the GSD tiny look alike but with short legs)?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
battleborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Great State of Nevada
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Have you considered a Corgi (the GSD tiny look alike but with short legs)?
Ha! My mom had one of those. She was a great little dog. But a very different temperament from a GSD. About the only thing they have in common are those big ol' ears.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

I would get the small dog first and then a GSD puppy.
Teach the GSD puppy to respect the small dog, and don't let the puppy run roughshod over the small dog.

Often a small female and then a male GSD puppy is the best combo.

I was looking this up for another thread, they make some good points here in this article.
German Shepherd Dog Breed Information
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
Ha! My mom had one of those. She was a great little dog. But a very different temperament from a GSD. About the only thing they have in common are those big ol' ears.

There are 4/5 of the little doggies in our OB club and it is funny as heck to see my big male GSD interacting with the feisty little ones!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com