New poster, long time lurker - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile New poster, long time lurker

Hi,
My name is Melissa, or Mo as my friends call me lol
I have lurked on the board for a while on the phone app, but decided to contribute (Hopefully lol) and get some advice
I live in the U.P (Upper Penisula of Michigan) And I have been looking into diffrent dog breeds for...Oh geesh lol a very long time lol I live with my nine year old son, our two cats, and a Toy Poodle named Kira, although she has been pretty much pupper-napped by my boyfriend . He just adores her, and she him. They clicked. She is his heart dog, even though he wont admit it lol
But anyways, I have been looking on getting second dog to add to my family for some time now, and I have finally decided on a German Shepherd after much research. I had a German Shepherd mix growing up, and he was the best dog. He was only a few months old when he rounded up our 25 baby chickens and kept them confined to his bed on the porch. He was also only a few months old when my dad, who wasnt around much walked up to my then 6 year old sister in the front yard, and Tyller was confined to the front porch. HE was not happy, and alerted us to the fact that a stranger (To him) was in the yard, after my sister. Any ways, he was always there, and a big part of my life growing up . I have never forgoten him, and I am.....considerably older now lol
Anyways, moving on. I have a few questions.
Every one says that males and females are diffrent in temperment. Im curiouse as to how exatly?
I read alot of breeders have working lines, Im wondering how exactly these differ, if any, from just a family pet. I want just a family companion aka furry family member lol I kinda figure that the working lines are going to be more hyper and more driven?
Whats a good way to wear out a puppy? Exspecially with the winter weather? Like today it was -23. What are some good games that not only work the body, but work the mind? A tierd puppy is a happy puppy

Well, I think thats about it. Thanks for reading all this, and hopefully replying. If there is anything you would like to add, feel free. I love hearing stories, brags, any thing. Im exspecially interested in stories about your dogs and kids
Thank you again.

~Mo~
Psycho_Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello Mo! I can try to answer some of your questions. There are differences between males and females imop. My male is a clown, but at the same time he thinks he owns the world. One female is kind of serious, but is willing to play any game at the drop of a hat. My other female is a complete goof and absolutely loves kids.

Working lines make great pets. In a litter of working line pups, most will become pets. Do your research and find a reputable breeder and they will help you find the right pup (there are a some good breeders on this forum of working and showline) As far as exercise the forum is full of ideas, just use the search button at the top center of the page or post a thread for ideas. I play a lot of fetch, flirt pole, and letting them run in the woods at my parents property. Good luck on your search!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome Aboard!!
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome! You might want to start a new thread to ask questions. They might get missed here. Just go to forums and select the most appropriate one.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.