5th GS owned, having some trouble. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh don't get me wrong. You do want to socialize him allot, but maybe give him a break from so many dogs. There is more to socialization then meeting dogs and people. Different areas, different walks, different trees and bushes, even the difference between day and night. He is taking all that in right now.. No you really don't want to Pop him on the nose. Your hand should be good things not bad things. You could let him know your serious in your voice tone without hitting him. If he keeps going on, get him out of there, and introduce him to something else. Take treats and praise him for good behavior.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I cut it short because I was heading out to work. Remember to re-introduce, over and over untill satisfied.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
I cut it short because I was heading out to work. Remember to re-introduce, over and over untill satisfied.
What I mean is go back at a differn't time and try again. Jonas did that at first to my neibors husky, I took him back and introduced several times. Now they are like the best of friends. So if you keep at it after taking a break then coming back, it should work.Unless it just isn't ment to be. I hope this helps you.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadows19 View Post
After having so many dogs I felt like training another would be a breeze, but I am so lost right now because I've never had one to show this type of behavior. But thanks for all the helpful tips, I'll definitely put them to use!
I know how that feels! After having a bunch of different dogs, I did think I got a hang on how to deal with situations and then I met my "specials", the dogs that pushed me towards my limits, dogs that made me feel like I had no clue and no concept of taking care of a dog, but in the end, I look back at these fellows and I realized, they brought me further as a person and as a dog owner.

I learned that every day is a new day with new chances to make things like this better and taking a step back and starting the socialization process slower could make the difference. After all he is brand new in the family and in his new home and I feel like he probably doesn't really know yet that you are the no1 trustworthy person in his life.

I always have a reliable trainer at hand - that helps so much. Sometimes we are getting so frustrated and feel so helpless, that an outside person/opinion just gives us that little push we need to move towards the right direction.

Y
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.