Newbie Here! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie Here!

Hi all!

So, I'm not new to the breed (I grew up with GSDs), but I am new to the forum. I stumbled upon ya'll when I was doing some casual Googling to find clues about our new little mutt. I can't tell you exactly how old he is, but we are thinking he is at least part Shepherd? He was from a MN rescue group (some lesser human decided he/she would leave the little guy tied to a fence by the railroad the week after Christmas...if you aren't familiar with our weather, it was about 10F that week...). Anyway, after searching this site, I started to notice his coloring bears a strong resemblance to a bi-color(ed) shepherd. That said, I can't imagine anyone would pay for a purebred and discard him like trash, so I'm assuming he is mixed with something. Thought you all might take a guess since the lot of you seem pretty well-versed in the shepherd world. I am thinking he is about 8-10 weeks - he weighs about 13lbs and his ears are getting perkier every day. Just 6 days ago, his left (photo's right) ear was very loose and flat on his head and now it is gaining some life! The other one looks like he will have at least one pointy ear! But who knows?!? Mutts are so much fun! His back feet look like his front and he has "tarheels" (a term I just learned from this forum!) as well as a little light butt/under tail. Under his chin down to his chest is almost gray and he has a very thin, vertical light line between his front legs. His little nose is a bit lighter than the rest of his face and he has very faint tan patches on the sides of his face, as well as a few tan hairs at his eyebrows. Sorry the pics aren't the best...if only puppies would HOLD STILL!!!

I also attached a photo of our nearly 2-year-old female mutt for good measure (best guess = shepherd/husky...looks like a shepherd, ACTS like a husky!). She is so happy to have her new bruder! And we are so happy to see her feeling so complete. She LOOOOVES dogs and we have always wanted to get her one of her own (she promised to walk it, feed it, and clean up after it EVERY day!!!), but we waited until her training and manners were polished. Best decision we could have made! Just in case anyone is considering a second.

Anyways, if anyone has any breed guesses or anything to share, please do! Thanks for reading and it was nice to "meet" all of you!
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Here!-img_0739.jpg   Newbie Here!-2013-01-15_17-32-41_340.jpg   Newbie Here!-2013-01-15_17-30-18_106.jpg  
GerMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome! Your 2 yr. old and pup are adorable. We'll be needing more pictures. So hard to tell, when they are so young. I am also the new proud owner of a mutt. (Pretty sure there is NO GSD in there.) I think you can tell as much, or more from the personality and behavioral traits as appearance. Mixed breeds are the most fun, because you get multiple dogs all wrapped up in one package.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hello! What are your pups names?
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Hello! What are your pups names?

Well! Everything else I wrote and forgot to mention the most important information!

The 2yo female is Dellah and the little guy is Grimm.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Welcome! Your 2 yr. old and pup are adorable. We'll be needing more pictures. So hard to tell, when they are so young. I am also the new proud owner of a mutt. (Pretty sure there is NO GSD in there.) I think you can tell as much, or more from the personality and behavioral traits as appearance. Mixed breeds are the most fun, because you get multiple dogs all wrapped up in one package.
Thank you! I think they're adorable too...although I am also aware of my biases.
I will definitely be posting more photos as time goes on and we are considering a DNA test for the little one (it's pretty obvious with the 2yo female - Dellah). Although I know those tests aren't 100% accurate, it would be interesting to see what shows up!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerMutt View Post
That said, I can't imagine anyone would pay for a purebred and discard him like trash, so I'm assuming he is mixed with something.
You would be surprised what people will do with unwanted pets - even ones they paid alot of money for.

Welcome to the board!!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

So true. I just can't understand people. He IS a little poop machine, but he is also the sweetest little guy in the world...and there are so many alternatives to tying an unwanted dog to a fence...

+ 3 mares, a siamese/bengal girl, and a rosehair tarantula lady
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello and Welcome, and thanks for sharing your beautiful babies with us.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome Aboard!!
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.