Hopeful PTSD sufferer with new GSD puppy :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hopeful PTSD sufferer with new GSD puppy :)

Hi! My husband is going to help me train up a PTSD dog for me as we believe it will really help. We just picked out a puppy and he'll be ready to take home on Jan 3rd. I'm excited to learn and share with all of you
Attached Thumbnails
Hopeful PTSD sufferer with new GSD puppy :)-pup.jpg  
CurvyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello and Welcome, have you picked out a name yet, he sure is a handsome little guy. Thanks for sharing him with us.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

How adorable! I hope it works out for you! Trust me...German Shepherd puppies make EVERYTHING better
I am a pre-med student and I just finished a semester of PTSD research. I have learned such great things about PTSD therapy/companion dogs! I am really glad you are trying it out!
You will find so much useful information here. German Shepherds are incredible dogs! Welcome and good luck with everything!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

My Fiona (7 months) is in training to be my service dog. I have many things that make me disabled, but Fiona is training to help me with mobility. Since I have had her, she helped me with my chronic acute pain and even at 6 months and 45 lbs she was able to help me get up when I sat on a rock too low to the ground at the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Sorry I could not figure out how to edit my earlier post. I just want to say that Fiona has done wonders for me. I lost my grandmother who I was very close to 3weeks ago. Fiona has helped with my grief. Plus as a puppy, she makes me laugh all the time. I got Fiona at 2.5 months and she goes to class 2x a week and has a Ono on one session once a week. Getting her as a puppy has helped with the bonding. I heard that some dogs that get trained by an organization have trouble bonding. I am glad you are starting with a puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Curvy, First off WELCOME HOME! I am also a combat vet who suffors from a lot of PTSD symptoms. I am doing the EXACT same thing with Hero. We got him at 8 weeks old, and I mean to tell you that with him home, I take 1/8th the amount of meds that I used to!! The trick is training... you have to keep on him with training and training and training or you will be more frustrated than anything. I am out of luck right now because Hero should have been back in training already but since the hurricane Sandy, his trainers is shut down until further notice This is causing a ruckus in the house and I can not WAIT until we can get back in there! You are going to want to start with puppy kindegarten (possible get S.T.A.R. certified) then go to basic Ob. eventually you will get your CGC and work towards making him a PSD or Psych service dog. The beauty is if you have a disability rating for your PTSD from the VA, and your dog gets these certs, you can bring him ANYWHERE (with some exceptions but you gotta check the ADA website for all that stuff) There is a ton of info out there but I will say it until I die, DOGS INSTANTLY HELP PTSD! I love mine, and we are almost out of the mouthing phase working through the counter surfing phase. Hero has issues we are working on but in a few more months I think he will be an amazing dog and start beign able to work for me as a PSD. BEST OF LUCK the first few months are a handful!!!!! This forum is a HUGE help when looking for information!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.