Introduction! New to GermanShepherds.com! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Introduction! New to GermanShepherds.com!

Hello GermanShepherds.com community. I was just introduced to your forum and thought it looked like a great place to get some info and see some cute puppy pictures! I'm the owner of a 2-year old GSD, Layla, who I adopted when she was just 10 weeks old. She is my first GSD and after getting to know the breed I've fallen in love! She is so high energy, but also well behaved, too intelligent for her own good, and cautious of people outside of my family or other animals that she meets for the first time. She has been really easy to train and so fun to have in my life. We go for runs every day and she loves visiting the dog park! Once I introduce her to someone new she's instantly in love with them, which is probably just a ploy to get them to throw a ball or a stick!

Layla was also born with a disease called EPI, which means that her body does not produce the proper enzymes to digest food. There's a whole process of feeding her with her meds and her gut works best on grain-free food. EPI is most common in GSDs and usually shows up at around a year to two years old. A dog with this disorder will just start losing a dramatic amount of weight in a matter of a few months, but the great news is that once they are diagnosed and treatment is started, EPI dogs go on to gain the weight back and live a normal life span. They will be on medicine for the rest of their lives, which is pricey, but necessary. Only a dog person would understand.

If anyone would like more information on the disease feel free to message me or visit the site that I use for all of my questions and support: epi4dogs.com
stephosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome, love to see pictures and brags on your now healthy pup!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aaaand here's a picture of Layla. Black and silver. 2 years old. (In this photo: Just over a year old.) She was tired from chasing tennis balls all over the court!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Welcome, love to see pictures and brags on your now healthy pup!

Thanks! I'm giving her another month of gaining weight and then I think she'll be at a good place to finally take her "after" shots! Then I'll post her before and afters!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephosaurus View Post
Layla was also born with a disease called EPI, which means that her body does not produce the proper enzymes to digest food.
Welcome! There was a time when we thought our puppy might have EPI. She had all the signs; weight loss, diarrhea, ect. We did the test and luckily all of her results were within the normal range. I spend days doing what seemed like endless research and desperately trying to figure out how we were going to be able to pay to keep her. I can't image all the added stress of carrying for Layla! But she is a beautiful looking girl and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Again, Welcome!

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Welcome!
We had a dog with SIBO but no EPI. They can have one without the other.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to shawnjanes

Hey Steph - welcome. I'm glad you posted an intro. This is a pretty cool place. Looking forward to training classes with you in January.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.