German Shepherds Forum banner

hey hey from Toronto!!!

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  GsdLoverr729 
#1 ·
hey guys,

my names Neil. and this seems like the best place for my GSD research.

im looking to get one in the spring time as i would finish school and have more time to train him and all.

im looking to get a pure white German shepherd. so im pretty excited and this would be my first pet/dog.

im mainly here to learn the most i can to treat my pup the best and train him properly. so any advice from you gurus would be awesome for a first time owner.

look forward to meeting new people and learning a lot.

#2 ·
Welcome from Ottawa :) I don't know of any WGSD breeders nearby but maybe there's someone else who can point you to a good breeder. :)

What are your plans for the pup? Are you planning on doing any work with them: Schutzhund, Flyball, Agility, Tracking, Rally O, etc?

#5 ·
hey guys!
should have mentioned im from the east! (markham) lol

my main plan for my WGSD is family pet. but becasue i have seen alot of dog owners with dogs that arent trained well and go crazy when people around. i plan on training my dog for Schutzhund. even though i can not enter it being a white gsd but i would really like my dog to be trained well and also to play sports with. :)

#8 ·
Yes, I train in schutzhund.

We have a club right now in KW, brand new (about 2 years old) and not yet registered with the GSSCC but are hoping to hold our first sanction trial (a part of the process of becoming registered with the GSSCC) this coming spring/summer. :)

We are about 10 members as of right now (want to stay small at this point) but always have inquiries about membership and people coming out to visit.

If you are interested in more just send me a PM, I can also send you to some AMAZING clubs closer to you - one recommendation would be to check out the Scarborough club. Amazing helper and TD's there plus the members are so helpful and welcoming.

#14 ·
Yes, but not every dog has what it takes....
As Carmen posted, if you are looking to train in IPO, best to go with a breeder that has the right lines for doing so. Whites are generally not IPO material(though never say never!) I'd like to see more WGSD's in competition.

#10 ·
oh wow really?? i thought only the normal (black,tan,red) GSD's could compete. as white supposedly is a disqualification on german shepherd standard. but thats amazing to hear, just made my night. even more excited to receive my GSD now

and thanks elisabeth ill pm you shortly.

#12 ·
if you want to do the sport , base your puppy selection and your breeder selection for a dog that has the drive and character needed. Because many whites have been inactive in sport - or even show -- many breeders of whites are just breeding for the colour and for a pet market.
make sure you get what you want . Who have you picked as a potential breeder.

There are clubs in the area and there is a private trainer in your area . PM sent

#16 ·
the breeder i have chosen is Hoofprint farms. they have been breeding the WGSD for over 40 years now. from what i have heard from the breeder they dogs have a very high level of energy and are very active.

well even if i cant achieve it i shall try my hardest :)

thanks for the info guys loving the input. who do i message for local clubs and trainers?

#19 ·
You aren't going to find more than a handful of whites in the US and Canada doing bite work, so if you're looking for a white with SCH in it's pedigree, good luck. You'd have better luck importing a Berger Blanc from Europe if that's your criteria. (and many of those dogs will have Hoofprint in their pedigrees)
On the other hand, if you want a dog that should be able to do well in any given number of sports, a dog that you might like to train for SAR or service work, take part in performance and obedience events and most importantly, make a great pet, Hoofprint is an excellent choice.

#20 ·
well to be honest being a first time dog owner and introducing my family to a dog. i would prefer one that is a family pet and i know german shepherds are great family pets.

the sch isnt the biggest concern for me. i rather have a get family pet that is obedient and is playful to play around with.

i've only seen a white german shepherd once and thought it was the most gorgeous dog ever. but i wasnt aware that they arent working dogs like the normal german shepherd. so thanks for the info.

#21 ·
If you want a family pet that could also do SchH, those dogs are certainly out there, but the odds of finding a white one are slim to none, unfortunately. The white dogs make nice pets but haven't been selected for working ability for a very long time. They can do well in obedience, agility, that sort of thing.

I have seen photos of white GSDs in Europe doing bitework, so it's possible you might be able to import one, but it would be costly and you need to know the right people.

If you decide that you really want to do SchH and be successful at it, and you don't want to import a pup, you'll need to fall in love with sable, black and tan, bicolor or black... and find a breeder who trains and titles their dogs in SchH.

#22 ·
Or he could get with a good club, set up a great foundation and see how well the dog does. Just because there aren't titles in the history, doesn't mean the dogs can't do it....they may not ever be podium dogs, but I think they have a shot just as any other line of getting titles. How many people with the whites even do IPO? Maybe if more gave it a try, there would be more representing in the sport.

#23 ·
Or he could get with a good club, set up a great foundation and see how well the dog does. Just because there aren't titles in the history, doesn't mean the dogs can't do it....they may not ever be podium dogs, but I think they have a shot just as any other line of getting titles. How many people with the whites even do IPO? Maybe if more gave it a try, there would be more representing in the sport.
This is true... there's a first time for everything. I am sure that somewhere there exists a white dog that would love to do bitework, it's just finding the right one. Puppy selection will be very important.

#24 ·
I answered the OP in a PM giving him a little more information about Hoofprint and my experience with the whites. (I spared you all...you're welcome. :))
Now I'm going to start another thread about working dogs because I have a question and it's going to get lost on this introductory thread. Pyroman, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

#25 ·
I answered the OP in a PM giving him a little more information about Hoofprint and my experience with the whites. (I spared you all...you're welcome. :))
Hey, why not educate the rest of us too? Don't know about anyone else, but I'm woefully ignorant about whites, would love to know more. As long as you aren't "breeder bashing", you should be able to relate your experience and knowledge publicly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.