Scared, confused and worried first time dog owner! -help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Scared, confused and worried first time dog owner! -help!

Hello there! My name is irene and i am not only a 1st time gs owner, im a first time dog owner...ever! I made the decision of getting a dog because my husband is away a lot and i needed a guard dog. Another reason is because i have always wanted to have a dog and my almost 2 year old baby loves them. I bought my dog panthro, home a couple of weeks ago at 5 months of age and i fell in love with him. As i mentioned, my husband is away and i work full time monday-friday. My dog is left alone about 10 hours a day. We live on half an acre so my dog has a lot of space to exercise. I feel sad leaving him since he was used to being with other dogs. Did i make the right decision? Is he bored, depressed, happy? I get home and play with him for about an hour but he cries as soon as i go inside. I would like to take him in the house once in a while but dont know if its practical? Will he do his business inside or will he notify me to go outside? He also jumps a lot and is a little rough, im guessing from excitement when hes around me, plus he's barely gonna be 6 months. Also, he has a floppy ear. Is it normal? Help! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Panthro's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

He cries when you go inside because he wants to be with you. You should let him in the house, but you will need to housetrain him, he won't know that he must only eliminate outdoors, and how to alert you that he needs to go out if you don't teach him. And yes, he probably is bored out there by himself, an hour a day of human interaction is not nearly enough, which is also probably why he's excited and rough when he does get to be with you.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx debbie. I agree with you. I try to spend more time with him on weekends and on my days off. I would like to house train him but i know that requires consistency and commitment and being a working mom makes it sooo hard. He is so awesome as a guard, though. He barks at anything that moves. I know some people crate or chain their dogs for long periods of time but panthro is out & about. Well, hopefully ill find a solution with some help around here. Thanx a bunch!
Panthro's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there a reason you keep the dog outside? GSD pups can get into a world of trouble left outdoors unattended if not secured in a proper kennel. A GSD needs much more stimulation than an hour of play a day and then left alone outside the rest... take obedience classes with the dog, work with him a lot. Keep him inside with you, that's ideal (there is a whole other debate on whether they can be outdoor dogs, and it can be done, but this is definitely not the way to do it)... build a bond with him. Keep him stimulated mentally, and exercise him. These are dogs who will find ways to entertain themselves if left alone too much, and it usually isn't pretty and is frequently dangerous to the dog (eating things, escaping, etc).

I'm sort of confused by your question on whether he'll go potty inside? Pups require potty training....they don't learn on their own. Use the process as an opportunity to build a bond with him. If he jumps, work on obedience. Frequent obedience work is key with these dogs-- they don't learn it on their own, and a household with no rules or boundaries is the perfect recipe for a poorly socialized, potentially aggressive or destructive dog.

It sounds like you did not do your research before getting this breed, but I commend you for starting now! Your pup wants to be around you, wants to build a bond with you. I definitely recommend puppy classes (you have to start with the basics, including potty training), engagement games, etc. GSD's are a LOT of work and definitely not a hands-off breed, but the loyalty that comes with the bond you will form through that work is what makes this breed so spectacular to own.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

agreeing with Cassidy..

Dont leave your puppy outside : (! um i a lot of people say ears will stand sometimes around 9-12 months? my pups have their ears standing already at 4 & 6 months so idk ?
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro's mom View Post
Thanx debbie. I agree with you. I try to spend more time with him on weekends and on my days off. I would like to house train him but i know that requires consistency and commitment and being a working mom makes it sooo hard. He is so awesome as a guard, though. He barks at anything that moves. I know some people crate or chain their dogs for long periods of time but panthro is out & about. Well, hopefully ill find a solution with some help around here. Thanx a bunch!
Consistency and commitment is key with this breed. It is probably THE most important factor to owning this breed. You need to find a way to work it into your routine. Crates are your friend, chains are definitely NOT. And barking at anything that moves is NOT a good thing. He does this because he is insecure, bored (which causes anxiety), and not socialized. This is a recipe for disaster.

He's young, so you've got plenty of time to do right by him! The "solution" you seek is to work, work, work with him. Integrate him into your family. Socialize him. Work on obedience and rules and boundaries... practice NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free...make him work for everything). Give him safety and security, structure, and stimulation. Right now he's got none of those things, but you've come to the right place to learn
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would train him to be indoors, they really like to be wherever you are. It's not that difficult, most GSD are quick to learn the house rules and be potty trained, it just takes consistency on your part. Mine (2-2 yr olds) stay in my home for 7-8 hrs while we are at work. Except for the 4 am potty break which takes about 3 or 4 minutes, they are never alone outside. Sign up for some obedience classes with him too.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take it that way. In my opinion dogs are companions and should be kept in a house just like you would anything else you love. Do you leave anything else you live outside? Also, before getting a dog you should have done some homework about what breed is best for you. And I don't exactly think its practical that you brought a dog into your life if you don't even have the time or commitment to house train it. But if you do have time to take your pup to a training class that would be a good start. I should have done that from the beginning with my dog.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You probably should have an older somewhat trained dog.

Inside/outside doesn't matter as much as that your pup does not have enough interaction with you.

A puppy left alone that much will be affected by the loneliness more than where they are kept.

It's hard to raise a puppy when both humans are gone that much. So you need to try to make up for it at night and on weekends.

You can housebreak the dog at night but it will be more difficult because you have less time to accomplish it.

On weekends your pup should go places to get used to other sights and sounds, people etc..

It can be done but it won't be easy.

Your pup is not protecting you IMO at that age. He's bored.

Good luck.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Spend quality time with the pup. That way he has a solid bond with you. Once potty training comes along he will let you know he has to go out. Floppy ears can be genetic (nothing wrong) Both of Abbis ears flop (one sometimes stands) and shes almost 4. If you guys have a healthy relationship he will grow up to be a great dog, neglect can lead to anxiety and aggression
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.