Hello from West Virginia (getting 2 new littermates) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from West Virginia (getting 2 new littermates)

Im new to all this forums an German Shepards. I have always admired the outstanding breed my wife an I will be picking our dogs up Friday Nov. 30 we are very excited. We are getting two litter mates, I hope we are doing the right thing. I thought it was a good idea untill I begin reading all the warnings about tring to train two puppies at once. I hope we are up for this challenge

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
mkkessinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome! I have litter mates, 2 yr old females. I've had no problems. DW does most of the training with Zoey and I train Tuke. We may have been lucky, IDK, but I think these guys together were easier than my lab or malamute were by themselves (raising them as pups).
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board. I would be weary of a breeder that will let you take home two littermates. I know we don't allow it. Two puppies at the same time is VERY HARD and unfair to them. Please reconsider and I would research that breeder a little further. No reputable breeder would let you take home 2 littermates, at least they shouldn't. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello and Welcome, some members are pro and some con on the 2 puppies at once task. I think from what I have been reading on here it will work if you give each pup it's own training session without the other pup being around so that each pup can learn to focus on you and not on each other. Be sure to post pictures of those new babies when you get them home.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board!!! What area of WV are you from (I have relatives up there).

My experience with raising multiple puppies at the same time is different than most, in fact, I raised three that were close to the same age together without any significant problems. I knew I was going to get Ringer before I moved to Florida ... but I also unexpectedly ended up with his litter sister, Honey (long story) at the same time that I got him. A short time later a friend gave me Kelly as a house warming gift ... ergo I had three puppies very close to the same age. I was home 24/7 and didn't have any problems raising, training, nurturing them. For years we lived "happily ever after"

My problems came a little over a dozen years later!!! One of the major problems was financial, caring for three senior GSDs with various health problems ran into many thousands of dollars, but it was the least of my problems.

I lost Ringer, Kelly and Honey within nine months of each other ... first Ringer who died about a month before his 13th birthday, then Kelly died about two months after Ringer, and finally my sweet Honey died suddenly about 7 months after Kel. I cannot begin to describe the pain and depression I went thru losing three dogs so close together.

Losing the Three Amigos wasn't the first time I've lost dogs close to the same age though the circumstances were different, the end result was the same. Three years earlier, in 2003, was the first time it happened to me. I got Too up in MD and brought her down to FL a short time before her 5th birthday. Surprise ... at the same time I got Ringer & Honey, their 5 year old father, JR, ended up homeless so I ended up with him too. All went well for many years. Then a few months after JR celebrated his 13th birthday, he died and less than three weeks later 12-1/2 year old Too had a seizure caused by a medication and she died. I was devastated, depressed, it hurt so bad, I can't describe it, I ached with grief.

While it's been about 4 years since losing my second batch of seniors, just writing this message brought back the memories and the tears and pain as if it were yesterday. I've shared this information before with others, hoping they'd think twice before setting themselves up for the hurt and pain I've gone thru when losing much loved companions.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide to do!!!

Last edited by arycrest; 11-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
arycrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum and hoping you are taking advantage of all the information like --> Should I get TWO puppies/dogs at once?

It's not so much that it's impossible to raise 2 puppies at once, just that it is so much harder (and more expensive to feed/vet/train) that it's setting up stuff to be a problem right from the outset. Personally, I've raised 4 practically perfect pups at this time and would NEVER get more than one at a time.

My bigger concern is what GSDBESTK9 brought up, the breeder. The better breeders would REFUSE to sell you 2 puppies because they know it's usually a dis-service to their puppies and their main concern is the puppies. If they could care less and just want to take your money, let you pick out any 2 puppies you want, and then drive off into the sunset with no further help or support (cause they are your puppies, YOUR PROBLEM) I'd be very worried.

So if your breeder is not one of these --> Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder then I'd be even more concerned if you were taking on 2 puppies from them rather than just one.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome.I would never get two. One is a full time job already, I can't imagine where I would get the hours in a day to do twice what I do now.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.