New dog, new member. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New dog, new member.

My name is Brad me and my fiance just adopted our first GSD. He is a purebred male and is supposedly 10 years old. We resuced him from a kill shelter and hope to give him a happy loving home. We look forward to learning every thing we can about the breed.
lobo-tomy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Bless you for taking him on! A rescue and a senior at that! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and we need photos!!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's so nice to hear. Let us know how he is doing? Enjoy your Holiday!🐾🐾🐾

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congratulations! AWWW ... you missed out on the house-breaking, landsharking, biting, teeting, chewing and digging phase ...

LUCKY you!!! Senior dogs always have a special place in my heart ... they have such widsom. I'm sure you will have many happy times with him!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Bless you for taking him on! A rescue and a senior at that! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and we need photos!!!

DITTO!
We have a lovely senior Lab mix foster here I can't manage to get into a home of her own so it's looking like it's going to be our home for the remainder of her months (or years)!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome. It's not going well actually. Aside from some serious cat aggression and dog aggression issues, the real problem is that I found out he has heartworm. I'm learning how expensive and difficult treatment is, and not even sure what to do since he is so old. He is so loving with people. He's such a good gentle boy (as long as you aren't a dog). This is so heart-breaking...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hi brad, are the cats and dogs he's showing the aggression towards yours? like, are they in your home? there are a few different ways to deal with this depending on the situation. please give him a chance to settle in. now, about the heartworm issue...i have a dear girl in my rescue who is 9, who is also heartworm positive. she's on what's known as the slow-kill method...instead of getting a heartgard chew once a month, she gets one every two weeks. in a dog this age, many times people don't choose to treat with the more invasive method. thanks for helping this boy, let's try to find some way we can help you deal with his issues...because if you're in miami and you return him to animal control, it's not gonna be good. good luck, take care.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for your response. I have two cats, no other dogs. He has been barking aggressively and lunging at my cats. I haven't given him the opportunity to find out if he would actually attack them. He has only seen them while on a leash. He actually has gotten better with them, only being aggressive if they move around. He now seems okay if they are still. At any rate I don't know that I could ever trust him with them.

The issue with dogs is that whenever we are on a walk, he goes completely insane if another dog comes by. It takes all of my strength to hold him back. My fiancé would not be strong enough. He is okay if the other dog is behind a fence, but he becomes psycho dog if another dog comes by on a leash. It's extraordinarily embarrassing and also very scary. My neighborhood is very dog friendly so it's a big problem.

The heart worm method you are talking about sounds promising. I love him very much after only three days with him and really want to do everything I can so that he can have a happy rest of his life. I'm just so overwhelmed right now, I don't know what to do.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

take a deep breath and have patience. glad to know that he's improving, if only a bit, with the cats. is your situation such that there is room for them to co-exist without actually having to "be together"? if there are no other dogs in the house, you're problem is not nearly what it could be (if there were). for the time being, you should really try, even if it's inconvevnient, to walk him where there are no other dogs, or at times when there are few other dogs to contend with. i am not a trainer or behaviorist (just a lifetime-long shepherd owner with five years of experience doing rescue), so i'll leave the training issues to others...but you may need a trainer or behaviorist to help you in person. for now, i think the less stimulation he has the better. i think sometimes people don't understand how hard it for these dogs to go through all the uncertainties...no home, shelter, new home, etc., especially the seniors. there is something i call "shelter shock", a space their head can go when they're frightened beyond their wits with the smells of pain and death they encounter in a pound/shelter/animal control facility...and they need a predictable routine, consistent expectations, reliable limits, some quiet time to "back up and regroup" so to speak. was he a stray or an owner turn-in, do you know? you will find quite a bit of support and knowledge available here, for now just make sure he can't get to the cats, avoid other dogs (for the time being), and never, ever, ever, EVER let him off the leash if he is not all alone (with you there, of course), inside a fenced enclosure. okay, take ANOTHER deep breath, know you're among friends here, you are doing the right thing. and unless the situation goes south in some way that it hasn't yet, i strongly feel that things will work out, 'cause you said the magic words, "i love him very much". okay, gotta go for now, i'll be back tomorrow. what's this boy's name?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

checked in this morning before even checking my e-mail or fb, lolol...i'm concerned about you and your situation. let me know how it's goin', okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.