New dog, new member. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi there. Thanks again for your response and support.

So the dog's name is Lobo. He was a owner turn-in. The owner said they didn't have the time or space for him. He definitely knows his name, so I'm keeping it. I don't know what his life was like but I suspect that he was kept in the backyard. He initially didn't know how to walk on a leash but is now doing great with that. He has no idea how to play either

He has learned so much in just a few days. Initially, he didn't respond to any commands. I tried multiple languages but he looked very confused with all languages. He is now sitting in response to the command only. However, if he is very distracted or excited, he doesn't respond too well. We're working on that.

Today we took him on a long walk. It's hard to go on a walk in my neighborhood without passing dogs. We have 4 dog parks in our neighborhood alone. All of the shops and restauarants and bars allow dogs inside the estbalishment. It's a very dog oriented community.

We tried a new method today. Whenever we pass a dog on the street and Lobo begins getting exctied, we call his name and give him a piece of turkey. This has worked every time at breaking Lobo's interest in the other dog. So on today's walk, there was no barking at other dogs at all. We have only tried this with dogs that are on the other side of the street, as I'm afraid to let him get too close. However, Lobo loses interest in the other dog right away and we don't get any aggressive behavior. We will slowly try this with closer and closer dogs. It seems like we made good progress today, so I'm very hopeful. Lobo appears to learn very quickly.

I haven't tried much new with the cats yet. He's totally fine when the cats are on the other side of a glass door and when sitting in the same room (we have Lobo on a leash and the cat in someone's lap in the same room). In all of these situations, he behaves indifferently toward the cats. I'm guessing the next step would be to keep him in his crate with the cats walking around.

Anyway things seem to be going better today. Feeling much less overwhelmed. Thanks again for all your support. It is so helpful to hear your suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming
lobo-tomy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks so much for taking Lobo in and for working with him! It sounds like you really have a puppy in a 10 year old dog's body, based on his reactions to the world around him. It sounds like he just hasn't had much experience so everything is new and exciting and/or scary.

For the cats: I would continue keeping him on a leash and recommend teaching him to sit when he sees the cats and giving him a great reward (turkey!) when he does it. Pretty soon he will do it automatically. If you have him in his crate with the cats out then be sure to reward him really well when he's quiet or showing no interest.

If you google you will find explanations and maybe even a video for how to counter-condition a dog to cats.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i am SO glad to hear things are going well, and i really have to say lobo is not the only one who learns quickly, lolol...sounds like you did exactly the right thing (or at least the thing that worked exactly right).

and great that you're keeping his name (imho). you know, it's funny, a while back (few days/week), a senior male shepherd in miami (shelter/pound/animal control?), came across my facebook feed, and i thought to myself, "ohmygosh, there are such WONDERFUL dogs needing rescue everywhere, i hope someone helps this one". you don't happen to have his shelter picture, do you?

so, going forward, sounds like you're doing a really good job, i would only caution to say that it's always good to be overtly watchful for (to be pretty safe), at least a month, maybe two, to make sure that you're seeing his whole, true personality. i suspect tho, that he'll be one of the ones who totally recognize the fact that they've been rescued, and are wonderful and grateful companions for the rest of their lives.

there's lots and lots of info here about various methods of heartworm treatment and the exercise/activity restrictions that go along with it (and before it).

thanks for the update, so glad so far so good, lolol!!!
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

AW! Bless you for taking in a senior. They are the absolute best. Do you have a yard for Lobo to play in? If so, is it really necessary for him to go on walks? My GSD never liked other dogs. We have a big fenced yard. She could play and get plenty of exercise without a walk. When we did walk her, we used a prong collar and a muzzle. She eventually learned to ignore other dogs, which is all we really wanted.

I hope he continues to improve with the cats. Teach him "leave it!" Hopefully, he will soon accept that the cats are part of the family.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Attachment 23013

Here's a picture of him. I don't have his original shelter picture.

Today's update is that I took him to the vet and we are treating the heart worm. The vet says he looks really healthy and expects he's got some years left in him.

I also enrolled him in private training classes. So hopefully we will see some good improvements. I definitely feel like I have a ten year old puppy. An expensive one too! Lol, I thought I'd be saving money and time by adopting an older dog rather than getting a puppy.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh, bummer, can't open the attachment. i think you have to use photobucket or a url link. saving money and time by adopting an older dog...ah...no, BUT looking in those eyes and knowing you not only saved a life, but made it a good one..worth every dollar.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

brad, can you post the picture thru photobucket, couldn't open your link? how's it all goin'? everything okee-dokee?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Heres a picture of Lobo with Tara. Quick update. Lobo has been very good as of late. When walking him we are able to keep hisattention when dogs pass and avoid the crazy dog moments. Today we took him the the dog park andjust sat outside the fence and wathced how he reacted to the dogs on the other side. He did at timesshow interest but it seemed non agressive nad his tail was wagging . Maybe he will be ok after all. He has a training session Wensday with a pro trainer so hopefully wecan see where he stands after that. Hes doing ok with the cats as well but it will be a while before I trust him enough to even justhave him leashed with the cats in the same room

He did seem to have a personality change today. We bought him a new bed and when I unrapped it he snifffed a few times, then flipped it over, sniffed it a few times flipped it over again. Then he ran to the corner and picked up a rawhide I gave him last week that he never even sniffed it, then plopped down on his bed and went to town on the rawhide. I though that was great he was getting comfortable and feeling like it was "home". After his walk I put him in the bed room a little while later I went in to find him sprawled on MY bed. So I pulled him off and scolded him. Left the room 5 minutes later went back in to find him in my bed again. He sure is getting comfortable here....... This old guy is gonna run me ragged.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well i am smiling so hard that my face hurts. i am SO GLAD it's working out. you're wise to not trust him yet with the cat(s) and kudos for consulting with a pro trainer. be careful with the rawhide chews, look on other threads here or maybe google, i think there's a problem with them occasionally causing intestinal obstruction (i think i am the official board worrier, lolol). due to some life circumstances, i've had to slow down on my rescue efforts, and i really like to read the stories of people who are out there making a difference in the life of a dog. lobo is a lucky boy that he landed with you. thank you SO much!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hey there, how's that lobo-boy doin'? hope everything's still good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.