new member - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new member

Good morning! We have been GSD owners for 3 years, did training every week for a year and got very familiar with our dog, he is VERY obediant and values his pack. I am the alpha male of the pack and he never questions me once I have his attention. Sam is very smart, he comes right away when called, he will "speak" on verbal or hand command, and all the tricks. I think this is very important for him to listen immediatly because there may be danger that I have to get us out of.
Sam is normaly great with people; I have always said I could leave him in a backyard with 50 strangers and I promise there will be no aggresion, however, add any dog or other animal and there will be bloodshed. Sam does not bluff, he does not try to warn or scare away other animals, his aggresion towards other animals is real. We have trained him to obey us because of this dog aggresion, we know he will always have this problem, so to obey my commands is important. He is great with people that come into our home as I am carefull to introduce properly, however I have no idea what would happen if a stranger entered the house or yard without me being there.

This morning the meter reader came by to read the gas meter (the meter is a few feet from the fence) Sam saw him, postured and gave a lunch and very aggresive bark. The guy kept a close eye on Sam and left fast. That got me thinking what WOULD happen if an intruder entered the house.
Any thoughts? Heres the video:
meter reader - YouTube
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I assume it would be ON if an intruder entered your house. That is what I would want anyway.

At my house when the mailman comes up on the porch to the mailbox my sister's GSD Dolly is at the window barking like crazy and pawing the window. Anyone near or in my front yard she lets them know that my property is off limits to the uninvited and/or strangers. I certainly hope my new pup Jazzy ( which is a full sister to Dolly) will grow up to be just like her!
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes thats what I would want too, I take my families security very serious, while we live in a great area, the bad side of town is only a few miles away, and crime travels. As you can see we have cameras and a dog, we are also very well armed.
I would hope that if anyone would enter the house that Sam would chew on them, but I have taught him to "speak" when someone is at the door. I when I say "door!" he goes running over to the front door to check. Thats all the warning you get.
Im wondering, given the facts (good with people, not so much with animals) would he attack a stranger? I am leaning towards the attack after watching the video very carefully. Like I said he doesnt bluff, I have seen his go full on with dogs before and there is no bluff or warning involved, its just attack.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
...however I have no idea what would happen if a stranger entered the house or yard without me being there.
And you won't, until and unless it ever actually happens. That's just a situation there's no knowing in advance, regardless of the dog.

As far as this video goes, Sam just looks like a pretty typical dog warning a guy off his property. Something I'm sure the meter reader sees dozens of times a day. To me, it looks like the guy was aware of the dog, but got his readings and left, which is, after all, his job. I'm not sure I'd quite go along with "left fast."

Anyway, Sam's a good looking dog. Welcome.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes Typhoon I think thats the reality, I would never want it to happen, but I would like to know that if someone broke into my house that Sam would defend his home. I think the bark of a big dog would scare most people away. Your right tho, theres no way of telling for sure.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Helo to all members i am new user here to join this forum for sharing some useful informations about latest technology that's famous now a days. Like android, latest windows updates etc. So please share your information regarding today technology.
Isaacee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.