New Member from UK 15 week old GSD - vet advised slightly underweight at checkup - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are using her food as training treats through out the day I would measure it all out and put it in a bowl, that way you know how much she is eating.

My 7 month old is underweight, honestly. I have GSD's for almost 30 years and yes she is underweight. My vet alos said free feed her and let her eat what she wants. I did not do that, instead I added 2 more little meals so I know what she is eating. My girls is skinny cause she runs it all off. I am not worried, she will pick up some weight.

If you can see the ribs sticking out from her skin she is too thin. If you feel them and barely see the outline, she is just right.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi thanks for the help - im finding it hard to get her to stand still long enough to get a picture from the side - as soon as i go to her side shes like mum what you doing let me see im coming to see lol

heres a few pictures that i managed to snap
Attached Thumbnails
New Member from UK 15 week old GSD - vet advised slightly underweight at checkup-69465_10151332436694108_852725119_n.jpg   New Member from UK 15 week old GSD - vet advised slightly underweight at checkup-259926_10151332437304108_912340277_n.jpg   New Member from UK 15 week old GSD - vet advised slightly underweight at checkup-559354_10151332846034108_423003490_n.jpg   New Member from UK 15 week old GSD - vet advised slightly underweight at checkup-getattachment.jpg  
NicandNala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Looks fine to me. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Wohoooo shes "normal" lol

althou ive had dogs before and we have lots of dogs within our family none of us have ever had a GSD so its a huge learning curve as were still learning our way - no amount of research beats actual experienced owners advice

thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

She doesn't look skinny in those pictures. When she's standing does she have a slight "waist" when viewed from above? When viewed from the side, does she have a tuck up at the abdomen? Can you easily feel her ribs when you run your hand down her side, and see the last one or two? If so, that's perfect. If you can see ALL her ribs, or they're overly prominent when you feel them, then I'd up her food a little.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi Cassidys mom , that's exactly what shes like a definite waist and you can feel her going in - she looks slimmer when you look at her from above than she does from the side - i think the vet was overreacting and sent me in to panic mode for no reason. I have added in some eggs during the day along with some chicken but i don't see how i can feed her much more without over feeding her.

I think I am going to stop worrying about her and let her be a puppy - also thinking that on Monday at training classes i might ask the teacher to see if she can reccomend a vet that knows more about GSD - the teacher used to work closely with the GSD rescue here so she might be better to point me in the direction of a local vet that knows them better - the teacher at puppy classes that worked close with the GSD rescue never showed any concern about her weight

thanks for the advice
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

That's the only picture that's any good at all and she looks fine. What we would really need is one from the top looking down on her. And from the side with her standing normally.

Vets are sometimes not as helpful as you'd think. Lean is better than fat for a GSD pup (though you don't want skinny). And all our pups seem to grow at different rates and/or end up different sizes as adults so there is no way you can say your puppy MUST weigh 'x' pounds at 'x' age. GENERALLY you can use guides with information but most important how they are behaving, energy levels, diet and feeding habits.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

From the few pictures you have posted she looks at a good weight. Like others have said a clear picture of her from the top...(stand with her head between your legs and take a pic of her standing. This is to check for a waist. ANd the side pic you posted while isn't clear looks like she is at a healthy weight. I wouldn't be feeding her 6 meals a day at this point. Like another suggested use her dog food as treats during the day. Measure out a whole days feeding amount and just use that as treats as well as her meals.

If you see her ribs, spine and hips extremely clearly while she is just standing (if she looks like a skeleton with skin on) then I would be concerned but from the pics posted she looks full and healthy.
Diesel-GSD
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

looks perfectly normal to me. Hype was around 40 pounds at 15 weeks.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hi , Thanks guys - Nalas put on 1kg but shes also took a stretch up as well lol

ive put her down to 3 meals a day along with some treats for training and shes coming along nicely

Think i should stop worrying as she seems healthy enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.