My new dog is on his way from Germany! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new dog is on his way from Germany!

I posted on here a couple weeks ago about wanting to find a dog thoroughly trained in obedience and protection and after 2 weeks of waiting for the breeders to "test" the dog into what I wanted we have found the ONE and he is on his way.

Shipping all the way from Germany to Texas here is Dino.

And this is his breeding..

The Father is : Arras vom Schwartenzwinger Schutzhund 3 , IPO 3 FH, FCI, 2 times DJJM , German BSP !!!!!!

The Mother is: Echidna vom Halleys schen komet Schutzhund 3 KKL 1 SG

Any insight or information more into my dog for those of you who are "educated" would be great! I know NOTHING about breeding and am curious about his bloodlines. Also thoughts on the video would be great too!

THank you!!!
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

He's beautiful! How exciting!
dbrk9 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

That is not a finished dog. From your description, you wanted a finished dog that is extremely obedient. He does not appear to be ready for the IPO1 yet, not even ready for the BH.

Did you see his downs? Sits? Stand stay? Long down? Did you see how he is in public? Within traffic? With other people? Or is this all you got?

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-15-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

"I know NOTHING about breeding and am curious about his bloodlines"

A little late to be asking about this isn't it?

I would assume that you have already inquired and found out all you needed to know about your new dog before you bought him, no?

Or at least had someone you know and trust tell you about him?
codmaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi KL - is this your first protection trained GSD? How old is Dino? Videos like this look very impressive to a newbie but it doesn't show the whole dog. The obedience he is showing in the videos is very basic for a protection dog. how is Dino's obedience off leash, in public, around other dogs, people, kids, busy places? Can he hold a down stay in a distracting environment? Can he be running after a ball and hit the dirt instantly when told to stop and down? So far his protection training is barking at someone with a sleeve and outing on command - he does both things well, but as Mrs.K said, this is beginner work, and he is working in prey drive - a state of excitement and play, which is fine for starting a young dog - but the test of being protective comes out later when the dog is older, more mature, and the decoy knows how to test a dog with real psychological pressure.

If you like this dog, have plans to continue his training yourself, understand that these videos do not show the whole dog, then great, enjoy him (he does not look ready for off-leash obedience, for example - I just hope you understand what these videos are showing, or not showing)! More important for you to have a dog that you can live with, not so much how well he does in bite training or well he heels when there is a ball lure and no distractions, but how excitable is he in everyday life? how does he settle in the house, how does he do being walked on leash in public around other dogs and distractions, how is he around small animals like cats, and how much has he been socialized and exposed to the real world in general.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Also, the stick stress the decoy gives is minimal. The dog has some good potential, but is far from being "thoroughly trained" (it takes YEARS).

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know little about protection training as I do not do it but frome watching the vids and seeing other dogs thoroughly trained in protection, this guy is not fully trained.

I think as long as you know that and plan on continiuning to train with him (you should!) then you will have fun and end up with a really nice dog. And if Schutzhund ends up not being to your liking consider AKC obedience or agility.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

dbrk9, do you have a club lined up to train with?
I agree, this pup and you need to keep on keeping on! He is still quite young?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Exciting. Good luck...see my response in your other thread.
Sue
justde is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'd be very curious how you came upon this dog and why he is "the ONE". Seems like a decent enough young green dog, but he is very far from being "thoroughly trained in obedience and protection".

These videos show foundation work with a young dog, and nothing more. The protection is prey based with no seriousness to it whatsoever. He'll bite a sleeve sure, but that is not true protection. It is a game. The obedience is clearly unfinished and looks to be no where near ready for off lead work in the real world full of people, cars, dogs and other distractions when the handler isn't using a ball as a lure to keep the dog paying attention and working.

I see a young dog with some good potential and decent foundation work, but a LOT more training would be required to be able to consider this dog "thoroughly trained" in either aspect, and very different training would be required if you want true protection rather than playing tug with a sleeve.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.