My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #81 (permalink)
Elite Member

can u ask them tonight how this dog is with small yappy type dogs? is he submissive to them?
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #82 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congrats on the new pup!
I don't know anything about professionally trained dogs, but have always wanted older dogs for myself. I know as a child, we also got a green dog who was 1, he was sold to us as fully trained by a facility in Montreal. My mom had gone over to the facility for a very long time before and following the purchase to make sure training transferred. He was a great family pet for me, and was purchased to be a protector, but was a strong enough deterrent to never need to be tested in that role.

With that experience in mind, I hope you're looking for a good trainer to help you with any issues you may experience as you and your dog adjust to each other, and to make sure the training transfers well. I know I was really frustrated with Pup when she first came home at 4 months old. It does take some time to get used to a GSD and their needs/routines.
Would love to see more pictures! It must be so exciting for you and your family.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #83 (permalink)
Banned

I like the pedigree. Has some nice names in it. 4-5 Fero, Troll and Mink, which is typical sport dog. Vico Wolfendobel who is the father of Chico Fasanerie. And of course I'm biased to see Gildo,too
Kid von der Maineiche which brings Afra vom Haus Feller.

I like Arras, I really like the dog. By the way, he is handled by a Teenage girl and went to the DVJJM and placed 2nd and he went to the BSP.
Arras vom Schwartenzwinger - working-dog.eu (obedience)

protection http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...ger?new_lan_en (they got a 91 at the BSP)
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Best post ever..
Agree.....I read that and really thought the same!
4score is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

I think I know where the dog is from. Not bad people. Have decent dogs. Very well known club and OG with a very long history in the SV.

KLZ, Dino is not his real name, isn't it? The dog is out of the F litter, isn't it?

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-15-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I know where the dog is from. Not bad people. Have decent dogs. Very well known club and OG with a very long history in the SV.

KLZ, Dino is not his real name, isn't it? The dog is out of the F litter, isn't it?
Yes he is out of the F litter. But as you know that is not a name I wish to call him! Lol.

To answer other questions YES he is good with children and small dogs or I would not be bringing him home and I don't think they would have recommended him to me considering my needs. Like I have said before I have checked the references and it took a couple weeks for them to get back with me on what they thought would match.

Last edited by KLZ86; 11-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #87 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Freak could be a great nickname!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Freak could be a great nickname!
I have a big Dutch Warmblood that I show and he is an S, we call him Scrabble. If I would have had an option his show name would have been Four Letter Word. Lol
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #89 (permalink)
Banned

Best name we ever had was Satan. It was my moms dog. Out of my parents breeding (Gildo vom Koerbelbach - Anika vom Eckbach), a gorgeous sable. Can you imagine going on a loose leash walk in the woods, having people walking up and you calling out for Satan

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-15-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post

If we all needed to have a strong knowledge of bloodlines and pedigrees then about 95% of this board would not be able purchase any dog.

We all start somewhere.

What she paid for the dog is no one's business. I have paid more than that for a dog and we all have our reasons for doing so. Granted, mine was titled, breed surveyed, and exceptional in several ways, but it is what it is. Heck, I'm just thinking that if this dog is 10k, then the one year old I've been thinking of selling should easily go for 15k. LOL LOL

The language barrier comment is asinine. The dog will listen when he respects his new handler.

While I see no point in someone like the OP importing a green dog (there are a zillion of them right here in the US and she doesn't have particular requirements that can only be met with an import), I also see no point in making a federal case of it. Maybe there is something about this dog that spoke to her, the way you can sometimes see photos of puppies and have one stick out as "THE ONE," based on a 6th sense and having nothing to do with logic. Most of us are guilty of that at one time or another. Emotion does play a role sometimes.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that the dog had to be tested, meaning they didn't know him that well. (Correct me if I'm misreading this). I have a 1yr old I'm thinking of selling that I KNOW is ok with Chihuahuas and small children because that's what I live with. I also KNOW he is protective and serious, and not playing a prey game, because I live with him and have seen him in many many situations over the course of his short life. Having to pull a dog out of a kennel to "test" him for a situation like the OP's is a little disconcerting to me because the OP is likely to not have the knowledge of what to do when he acts totally different in a different situation, as dogs are known for doing!

Last edited by vom Eisenherz; 11-16-2012 at 03:01 AM.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.