My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

For this dog, at this level of training, the biting is a fun game of tug. Wouldn't worry at all about inappropriate real bites due to the training from Dino.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hope that this dog and your household find happiness with each other . The dog does seem decent enough .

One point I need to make though is that there ARE , good breeders and good trainers and good contracts and good prices right here in Canada and the USA (North America).
carmspack is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #53 (permalink)

Wow. This thread filled up quick!

I can't respond to each of you but one post does stick out in my head... Someone said that I should have bought a dog from someone who knew what they were doing? How do you know who I bought the dog from and what kind of training/handling it received and if the dog had one handler or many?

Anyways thanks for the thoughts and advice I know that people are very passionate about there animals and say what they believe to be right. I feel like with all of our research and the references we were given he is going to fit just right into our home. We were looking for a family dog that had sharp obedience skills but yet the necessary skill to protect if needed.

Please remember that I am new to this forum and to GSD's and your words of advice will best be heeded if conveyed in a kind respectful manner. If you love these animals then you should want to help in anyway that you can not condemn a new owner for trying to learn. Dino will be here Tuesday and I look forward to hearing and learning as much as I can about this breed from everyone on here!
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I can't respond to each of you but one post does stick out in my head... Someone said that I should have bought a dog from someone who knew what they were doing? How do you know who I bought the dog from and what kind of training/handling it received and if the dog had one handler or many?
Well, I wouldn't say that the person you bought the dog from doesn't know what they are doing, in fact, they did not blind you. Personally, I think they should you exactly what the dog is and didn't try to hide what he isn't.
They showed you a dog that has a foundation in protection and obedience but is not a finished dog.

Everyone has said to get a trainer and keep working with him. I posted a link with the clubs. Maybe there is one close to you where you can continue to work him.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that the person you bought the dog from doesn't know what they are doing, in fact, they did not blind you. Personally, I think they should you exactly what the dog is and didn't try to hide what he isn't.
They showed you a dog that has a foundation in protection and obedience but is not a finished dog.

Everyone has said to get a trainer and keep working with him. I posted a link with the clubs. Maybe there is one close to you where you can continue to work him.

Yes it has been discussed and we do plan on taking him to further his training! I am located in North DFW so I will have to see what is available around me to take him to.

BTW do you show? What zone? We travel to probably 1-2 shows a month and are in zone 7. I think I saw on your profile that you are in CA so you are in a totally different zone. I am referring to the Hunter Jumper circuit.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZ86 View Post
Yes it has been discussed and we do plan on taking him to further his training! I am located in North DFW so I will have to see what is available around me to take him to.

BTW do you show? What zone? We travel to probably 1-2 shows a month and are in zone 7. I think I saw on your profile that you are in CA so you are in a totally different zone. I am referring to the Hunter Jumper circuit.
Oh, no. Not me. That was someone else.

My family shows back in Germany.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-15-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #57 (permalink)
Elite Member

how old is he? if hes under a year I think he will end up being a really nice dog in the end hopefully. I like him.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-15-2012 at 06:17 PM.
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
how old is he? if hes under a year I think he will end up being a really nice dog in the end hopefully. I like him.
He just turned 2.

Do people think he looks or act's younger?

And to answer someone else's question I believe he is about 85lbs... I am not sure how tall he is that is only a question I ask when buying horses! Lol.

Last edited by KLZ86; 11-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He doesn't have a very filled out male appearance to me, and his behavior and training (or lack thereof) makes him appear younger (to me). Usually, an experienced trainer would have a dog much further along than that by 2 from what I have seen.

When we were puppy shopping, I (well, DH too) fell in love with a young male from excellent breeding that was about the level of training shown in those videos. he was a newly turned 2 and they intended to keep him for breeding stock, placed him in a foster home, he didn't ever really get worked outside the basics, then lived the kennel/pet life for awhile with no real training once they decided he wasn't breeding material and put him up for sale. He had a little more defense drive than your "Dino," but still mostly working in prey like Dino, and what I would consider basic obedience as shown in the videos you posted. He was priced a little high for his level of training, but not an unfair price by any means @ 2,500. They did eventually offer him to us for 2K, but we ended up passing for other reasons, some related to the dog and others not. We ended up not getting one at all to be fair, and if we had it would've been him. But I just hope you didn't get taken for a ride with this one, because the one we were looking at was very, very similar and was being sold as green and basic OB trained only by an honest breeder.

Last edited by Rerun; 11-15-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Rerun is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #60 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question

is your sale set in stone? for a dog that is 2 id personally want to see a much more serious dog but thats just me. But again if that is just the handler working the dog we have no idea how the dog will act??? So It sucks if it is just a handler working the dog. But if it is a decoy working the dog then i would way want a much more serious response for a pp prospect at that age. Again this is just for me.

I like his response for a 9 or 10 month old. If he is for IpO then i am sure you are going to be happy if you find a good club.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.