German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My new dog is on his way from Germany!

19K views 178 replies 51 participants last post by  JeanKBBMMMAAN 
#1 ·
I posted on here a couple weeks ago about wanting to find a dog thoroughly trained in obedience and protection and after 2 weeks of waiting for the breeders to "test" the dog into what I wanted we have found the ONE and he is on his way.

Shipping all the way from Germany to Texas here is Dino.

And this is his breeding..

The Father is : Arras vom Schwartenzwinger Schutzhund 3 , IPO 3 FH, FCI, 2 times DJJM , German BSP !!!!!!

The Mother is: Echidna vom Halleys schen komet Schutzhund 3 KKL 1 SG

Any insight or information more into my dog for those of you who are "educated" would be great! I know NOTHING about breeding and am curious about his bloodlines. Also thoughts on the video would be great too!

THank you!!!

See less See more
#73 ·
Olivers momma....if someone is clueless on the lines they are getting yet spending $$, that does raise a few questions.
Lines are important in more than showing! Dogs that aren't balanced are a huge liability and breeders that aren't doing right by the breeding matches are not doing the breed justice.
I'm not saying buy the champion/champion...far from it! The buyer should at least know a bit about the lineage to better understand the dog. Seldom do people pay $$ for mutts.

#75 ·
I'm talking about PP dogs.... that is what this thread is about?

#90 · (Edited)
If we all needed to have a strong knowledge of bloodlines and pedigrees then about 95% of this board would not be able purchase any dog.

We all start somewhere.
:thumbup:

What she paid for the dog is no one's business. I have paid more than that for a dog and we all have our reasons for doing so. Granted, mine was titled, breed surveyed, and exceptional in several ways, but it is what it is. Heck, I'm just thinking that if this dog is 10k, then the one year old I've been thinking of selling should easily go for 15k. LOL LOL :D

The language barrier comment is asinine. The dog will listen when he respects his new handler.

While I see no point in someone like the OP importing a green dog (there are a zillion of them right here in the US and she doesn't have particular requirements that can only be met with an import), I also see no point in making a federal case of it. Maybe there is something about this dog that spoke to her, the way you can sometimes see photos of puppies and have one stick out as "THE ONE," based on a 6th sense and having nothing to do with logic. Most of us are guilty of that at one time or another. Emotion does play a role sometimes.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that the dog had to be tested, meaning they didn't know him that well. (Correct me if I'm misreading this). I have a 1yr old I'm thinking of selling that I KNOW is ok with Chihuahuas and small children because that's what I live with. I also KNOW he is protective and serious, and not playing a prey game, because I live with him and have seen him in many many situations over the course of his short life. Having to pull a dog out of a kennel to "test" him for a situation like the OP's is a little disconcerting to me because the OP is likely to not have the knowledge of what to do when he acts totally different in a different situation, as dogs are known for doing!

#77 ·
We do all start somewhere....but purchasing a PP dog & being 'clueless' could be a bit dicey!
'Strong knowledge' is a far cry from 'clueless'

#80 ·
Arras vom Schwartenzwinger - working-dog.eu
Arras is a very strong drive, stronger and more serious dog.
Result of the German Youth and Junior Championships 2012 in Hockenheim 99/93/92 No. 2 IPO III Junior. Arras was held on the BSP in Bayreuth
Echidna vom Halley'schen Komet - working-dog.euLarge, medium strong, good withers, firm back, short croup with good location. Front straight, chest conditions balanced, good Hinterhandwinklung, Schrittweise.Sicheres very good temperament, TSB pronounced, from leaves.

#82 ·
Congrats on the new pup!
I don't know anything about professionally trained dogs, but have always wanted older dogs for myself. I know as a child, we also got a green dog who was 1, he was sold to us as fully trained by a facility in Montreal. My mom had gone over to the facility for a very long time before and following the purchase to make sure training transferred. He was a great family pet for me, and was purchased to be a protector, but was a strong enough deterrent to never need to be tested in that role.

With that experience in mind, I hope you're looking for a good trainer to help you with any issues you may experience as you and your dog adjust to each other, and to make sure the training transfers well. I know I was really frustrated with Pup when she first came home at 4 months old. It does take some time to get used to a GSD and their needs/routines.
Would love to see more pictures! It must be so exciting for you and your family.

#83 ·
I like the pedigree. Has some nice names in it. 4-5 Fero, Troll and Mink, which is typical sport dog. Vico Wolfendobel who is the father of Chico Fasanerie. And of course I'm biased to see Gildo,too ;)
Kid von der Maineiche which brings Afra vom Haus Feller.

I like Arras, I really like the dog. By the way, he is handled by a Teenage girl and went to the DVJJM and placed 2nd and he went to the BSP.
Arras vom Schwartenzwinger - working-dog.eu (obedience)

protection http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-details/472715/Arras-vom-Schwartenzwinger?new_lan_en (they got a 91 at the BSP)
http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-details/472715/Arras-vom-Schwartenzwinger?new_lan_en

#86 · (Edited)
I know where the dog is from. Not bad people. Have decent dogs. Very well known club and OG with a very long history in the SV.

KLZ, Dino is not his real name, isn't it? The dog is out of the F litter, isn't it?
Yes he is out of the F litter. But as you know that is not a name I wish to call him! Lol.

To answer other questions YES he is good with children and small dogs or I would not be bringing him home and I don't think they would have recommended him to me considering my needs. Like I have said before I have checked the references and it took a couple weeks for them to get back with me on what they thought would match.

#91 ·
vom Eisenherz hit it on the head...people on this forum just don't see the reason to import a dog like that and pay a premium for it.

I'm very happy for OP that they think they got their dog but when you post a couple of youtube videos and people in the know are telling you nothing there is that impressive and actually its less than what they would expect out of a dog that age, one does question what they are getting. Two years ago I would've thought that those videos were so cool, I would've thought that the dog was very well trained and absolutely amazing doing those things. I had also never seen a dog trained in any type of sport or protection. A year later, I know that those videos don't show anything that great, and to make a purchase based off of those kinds of videos gets criticized.

We all have our specialties...we all have what we know and what we're good at. OP is a horse person, if I was in the market for a horse I would go to OP and ask for their advice (I know nothing of horses). I'm an accountant, if someone came to me for tax advice, I would give it to them. So when you come to a dog board, to ask people's opinion on a dog, they're going to give it to you. They will also weigh the purchase price in that criticism.

The dog world is really interesting. We purchase one, we learn from it, we get another one, we learn from it, and so on and so on. OP is happy with the purchase, I think people are just trying to say "hold your horses" a little because it might not be exactly what you want because you don't exactly understand what you're seeing. But OP will get this dog, love it, learn from it, and probably go on to get many more dogs; maybe the same way, maybe a different way.

Not sure if anyone has ever been to a conformation club/show. Those people will tear your dog apart so much worse...and not even for the training but for its genetics and the way it looks! I think the fact that OP is a horse show person they're taking this much better than someone that's never been involved with animals would. I'm sure there have been times when they have looked at a horse and said "YOU PAID WHAT FOR THAT?!?!" It's kind of the same thing going on in this situation...

#92 ·
Welcome to the board. I hope your new dog turns out to be everything you wanted. Here's is my word of caution. GSDs have a high prey drive. If your new dog has not been raised around small dogs this could turn out to be a big problem. I would keep the new dog on a leash around the little ones for a while. I would be very cautious about leaving them all loose in the house if someone is not home. If the little ones get running and playing, the new dog may see them as prey. One bite is all it will take, and turn turn this whole thing into a nightmare. This does not mean that all GSDs can not be trusted around little animals. My IPO dog sleeps with her cat. But she was raised with cats, and she has been taught from the beginning that it is not alright to chase them. This board has been filled with horror stories of dogs killing another pet cat or small dog.
I know you do not want a competition dog, but if you have ANY concerns about the dog, get with someone that is experienced with training IPO, PP or PSA dogs. Don't sit on a problem until it gets out of hand. You are not going to know if the dog is biddable or dominant. If he is a dominant dog, you WILL need some direction with him. It would be like going from the short stirrup division to open jumpers. You ARE going to need some coaching on how work with the dog.
Best of luck!

#100 ·
IDK, but maybe the imported PPDs are cheaper? I met someone recently who told me their friends had imported 2, and they were $8000 each. But another member posted not too long ago that they could cost $25000 or more over here? I guess it's comparing apples to oranges....who knows how extensively they're trained, etc...

Congratulations on your new family member, KLZ86. He looks great to me, not that that means anything, but I'd be happy to have him. Who cares what you paid? If you're satisfied with him, that's all that matters. Have fun on Tuesday!

#101 · (Edited)
yeah they are cheaper over there but you need to know where to look blanket a lot of people are out to rip you off. And also people will sell a brokers dog and then jack up the price and make a lot of money off it. Find the source and buy from there. Just go with someone who has a solid reputation. People love to take advantage and sell a 25 thousand fearful dog and pretend its a killer. I know a guy that bought a 15k czech dog thats suppose to be a trained ppd but its just fearful but he got it off of a huge company in america that sells pp dogs. If it is a 25k ppd it should have a bunch of titles on it also and be breeding quality and one **** of a dog. Otherwise it is a stupid purchase and probably a fraud.

He doesn't want his dog anymore cause its so unstable.

#102 ·
OP said he did his homework, so let's all hope that he isn't getting ripped off. As long as he's happy with Dino, that's what counts. I got ripped off when I bought my car, but I *had* to have it, and I'm thrilled that I own it. Sometimes money *can* buy happiness, lol. If you're getting what you want, who cares, it's only money. You know, "You can't take it with you" lmao.

#103 ·
KLZ86, congrats on your new family member! I hope he is everything your family wants and more!:)

Value is a relative term, if Dino gives his family the security and joy of a trained dog, can you really put a price on it? The term "trained" is relative as well. Give Dino a chance, let the family start on a happy and positive note. Why all the negativity?

The OP sounds like someone with good EQ (based on the fact that he has gone through this thread with grace:p), if the family encounters any problems, I am sure the OP is smart enough to seek help.

#104 ·
Wow.. took me forever to get through this thread, LOL!

Congrats on your new dog! I know you said you don't plan on doing any further 'formal' stuff with this dog, now... but I hope you change your mind. I'd also expect a 2 year old to be further along with things and not a 'green' dog, but ah well! IMO, training with a dog not only increases the bond, but it's FUN! :) With more training on the foundation work, he could be a really great dog. I understand the 'lure' of having a dog with pink papers, though. Who knows, maybe the OP felt that going 'to the source' meant the best dog? Either way, I really hope you get involved in training with this boy. He's started... but as long as you realize he's only started and not finished it shouldn't be an issue. Hope to see lots of pics when he arrives!

#106 ·
As I said before he looks like a decent dog . I don't see any reason for redflags . In the decoy work he responds exactly as he should , no more than needed , no back up , no hackling, no insecurity . I will disagree with pets4life who felt the dog should be more serious . Why? The dog is being aggressed by his handler , there is no threat . If the dog came on heavier he would be faulty in his response. He settled quickly after and did obedience well without a look of suspicion or hostility , so a balanced sane mind.
I applaud the seller in taking the time to thoroughly going over all the particulars of the buyer's needs and using those as a list for the evaluation.
Language, dogs don't rely on language . I have had one dog trained in German for schutzhund, French for French ring and English for his home life. He spoke non of them. Same deal with a dog imported from Czech - instantly worked in English , and worked just fine thank you very much.
There is one question that I do have and that is regarding the statement that this breeder/seller does keep and work dogs into the three year range , and this dog being two years, and the breeder being a resident of Germany and caught up in the SV - German system you would expect this dog to have at minimum a BH , yes? no?

#108 ·
Many people push for "formal training" but that is a relative term. As long as you keep up his manners, general obedience, maintain his socialization and provide him with an interesting life, teach him new stuff etc. he can be a pet dog with an active life.
I would encourage you to take to him to a basic obedience class, just so you two can bond even though he masters these exercises probably already.
I paid a good amount for WD and although he is not perfect according to the experts he is worth every penny for me and a million bucks more.
Now, enjoy the process of getting a new dog and keep an open mind.

#109 ·
Many people push for "formal training" but that is a relative term. As long as you keep up his manners, general obedience, maintain his socialization and provide him with an interesting life, teach him new stuff etc. he can be a pet dog with an active life.
The OP has stated many times she anticipates this dog to attack and/or bite people.

That is nothing to mince around with. If you honestly need a dog that will bite intruders, you better get it to training and not just basic obedience. Find a good, trustworthy Schutzhund club and work with them. DO NOT attempt this on your own, even with watching those videos, and do not expect him to bite just because.

I mean, he might. But if you need him to really do it, you'd better finish his training (and as others said, it's actually an ongoing process).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.