My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 18 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #171 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
The above quote is an example of disrespect that gets people who ask for advice to leave.
You can still use respect in answering posts even though it might not be what the OP wants to hear. I think most comments have been respectful. Don't we all feel at least somewhat defensive if we are criticized when it comes to our dogs?
I hope the OP will stick around and proves us wrong. Good luck with the new dog.
Oh please and you telling her shes a novice, that the dog could assert itself over her son and that it is a loaded gun was just as blunt, stuff like that is just as likely to make someone want to leave. I would not point fingers if i were you. ALso wasn't it you that told a story of a weak nerved shepherd that got protection trained (the wrong way)and attacked a child? I am sure that does not help the OP either. Your past mistakes have nothing to do with this.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #172 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
"I know NOTHING about breeding and am curious about his bloodlines"

A little late to be asking about this isn't it?

I would assume that you have already inquired and found out all you needed to know about your new dog before you bought him, no?

Or at least had someone you know and trust tell you about him?
No...it's not about being rude. It's telling the truth, which of course, to some, is "hate".

From MrsK early on.
Quote:
That is not a finished dog. From your description, you wanted a finished dog that is extremely obedient. He does not appear to be ready for the IPO1 yet, not even ready for the BH.
When people tried to explain, things got ugly.
And that comes from telling people things they don't want to hear.

The dog is handsome, the dog seems nice so far, and hopefully will continue to be as it settles in, keeping in mind it takes a few weeks to a month or more for dogs to truly "settle in" so you start seeing their true personalities.

If advising the OP that they really don't want their brand new GSD to "fight back" or "teach the Chi his place" is wrong and rude, then I guess I'm wrong and rude.

I've seen dogs injured severely by dogs their own size during a fight.
To wish a GSD would fight back against a dog under 10lbs...makes me wonder if that person just really wants the Chi to die (?) or perhaps they don't understand that even a nip, to a dog that size from a GSD could be fatal.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #173 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
Oh please and you telling her shes a novice, that the dog could assert itself over her son and that it is a loaded gun was just as blunt, stuff like that is just as likely to make someone want to leave. I would not point fingers if i were you. ALso wasn't it you that told a story of a weak nerved shepherd that got protection trained and attacked a child? I am sure that does not help the OP either.
This advice was based on my own experience when I was in a similar situation as the OP and the only one I pointed to was myself because I didn't want the OP to go through that same heartache.
wolfy dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
You know what, people.

I am truly ASHAMED of being part of this board.

This person posts an innocent remark about hoping his GSD would correct his Chi and you all go postal on him. You tell him what he SHOULD have done - how is that helpful?

This person mentions getting a dog for personal protection and NO-ONE takes a few second to ask if he means the dog will ACTIVELY confront an intruder or attacker or if he just means the dog will be a deterrent. You ASSUME means meant the former and rip him up for spending money on a "green" dog.

I no longer wonder why people leave the board.

EXACTLY my point. You don't have to be condescending to make your point or offer advice to the OP - to ANYone. And yet this thread bristles with a LOT of nastiness & animosity.

Who CARES if she could get a "good" dog from the US, but instead went overseas? Who CARES what she spent? We wanted EXACTLY what she was looking for. Unfortunately, it wasn't in our budget (because of my cancer expenses, Thank You National Health Directive).

I truly think some people are so full of themselves - as breeders, trainers, whatever - that anything taken out of the circle you maintain just isn't right.

OP never said she wasn't going to continue with Dino's training - merely said she wasn't interested in showing/competing the dog. You don't purchase a dog with previous training & then let it slide once you have him. She knows that.

I find it funny that the OP has gotten so much crap from certain forum participants - especially those that have - IMO - done some pretty stupid things themselves.

WELCOME DINO!! May you provide years of happiness & love with your new family. OP --- please keep the pictures coming --- to those that complain, look at it this way: thse people probably spend their whole lives complaining about something or someone. Be glad you don't have to live with these malcontents. And enjoy your new addition!
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #175 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
This advice was based on my own experience when I was in a similar situation as the OP and the only one I pointed to was myself because I didn't want the OP to go through that same heartache.

You think telling her not to put the 2 dogs together right now isnt to avoid heartache? You think i have not seen stable nice non dog aggressive gsds cause irreversible damage within seconds? The shock is just from people knowing what a gsd is and how light the op was taking it. She has a dog that she thought had the ability to take down a man but was willing to let put her tea cup dog in its place. It was just a huge shocker for people who have experience with gsd's and seen what they have done to other dogs. THey can cause so much damage in such a short period of time and this is damage to big dogs. Ive seen one rip up a jack russsel in a matter of seconds during play. People just had a bit of a shock. But no one is blaming right now people seem to be wanting to work with the op now. If you even read the other threads you would see that we hope the op comes back at least i really do.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-22-2012 at 02:43 PM.
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #176 (permalink)
Banned

Right now, I've got a Teacup sized Minischnautzer in my house that I am watching for two days, for a fellow Army Wife.

It feels like they are super fragile and that you could snap their bones just by holding on to them a little too hard. I am very careful with her and the big dogs so nothing happens and we keep her very close to us.

The one I was worried about is Ma Deuce because she doesn't know how strong she is. However, she is very gentle with the little one and doesn't even do the "Mal-snapping" thing with her.
That being said, I don't let her out of my sight and I would not let them stay together unsupervised. 95% of the time she spends on mine or hubbies lap and we carry her around.
I feed her separated from the others.

It's only for two days but I'm going through lengths to ensure her safety.
I've got four big dogs, not just one, and a tiny little Mini Schnautzer until tomorrow. It is really easy to keep them safe from the big dogs and as long as they don't get put into a situation where a dogs prey drive kicks in or where they are left alone, or when you don't step in to settle a potential dangerous situation, you eliminate most of what could happen.

Use common dog sense.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #177 (permalink)
Banned

I've heard others say, and I'd tend to agree, that "the cat can do no wrong" (in a cat vs. dog conflict) and I'd do that with small dogs, too.

Basically, the small dog is sinless/blameless in the sense that ANY retaliation on the part of the big dog could result in death to the small dog.

That said, it's up to the HUMAN to deflect the small dog's "small dog syndrome".
There's a very good chance the Chihuahua will never get past it's dislike for the big dog, 1) because it's a BIG DOG and small dogs are just like that, and 2) because it is a male.

So it's up to human to separate, keep separated, keep small dog leashed if necessary,
do whatever it takes to keep that small dog's head from being bitten off.
We deal with this on a daily basis here, as our Dachshunds, well a few of them, loathe our GSD.

We do not make the GSD tolerate it, although he must, and does, but we do scold the small dogs ourselves and put them up or separate with gates, etc. to avoid conflicts.

It should never ever ever be on the GSD to feel he must "discipline" the small dog himself.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I've heard others say, and I'd tend to agree, that "the cat can do no wrong" (in a cat vs. dog conflict) and I'd do that with small dogs, too.

Basically, the small dog is sinless/blameless in the sense that ANY retaliation on the part of the big dog could result in death to the small dog.

So it's up to human to separate, keep separated, keep small dog leashed if necessary, do whatever it takes to keep that small dog's head from being bitten off. We deal with this on a daily basis here, as our Dachshunds, well a few of them, loathe our GSD.

It should never ever ever be on the GSD to feel he must "discipline" the small dog himself.
Yes, it is our responsibility to mke sure there are no conflicts. But I disagree that the small dog is "blameless". 20 years working for vets has taught me otherwise. 9 times out of 10, the small dog will start the fight. Then run away when the 'other guy' (in this case, a GSD) takes exception.

But I'm curious - where did you guys get the assumption that the OP wasn't doing things "right"? More "Holier-Than-Thou" responses, methinks.
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #179 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Since feathers are ruffled, I am going to close this turkey and ask you to go gobble gobble elsewhere, but do it nicely - and certainly don't take the leftovers of this thread with you.

OP - there is some good information for you to use and consider in this thread, some of it easily palatable, some of it overdone, but I hope you will look at it.

Always remember everyone, you can notify for things other than what the notify button says - so if threads are going downhill, let someone know. That, and the ignore button, can go a long way in making things go smoothly on the board.

Count your blessings.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.