My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 17 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #161 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Remember I am look for a family dog that will be on guard if only we are in danger and listens well.

wanting to find a dog thoroughly trained in obedience and protection

dog will be a family dog but must be highly trained in protection and obedience
Lauri - from other posts, it is pretty clear this dog must defend it's area/home/family.

I think a dog as a deterrent is a great idea, but I got the feeling this family had experienced danger and need a dog to not just stand there or bark, but actually bite if needed.

It is my belief, however, without ongoing training and instruction, in the same manner in which this dog was trained, or else start a new foundation (can that be done?), that this dog's commands, etc., will start to fail.

I also believe strongly in the "honeymoon" period where the dog is starting to blend in and get adjusted and once he becomes comfortable things may start to "go south" so to speak, and I say that because we see it occasionally in rescue, the dog is perfect from day one, then about 2-3 weeks in, crap starts flying in more ways than one.

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #162 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,841
Default

with that type of training a dogs confidence builds more and more with people and dogs people can deny it. But the more pp train my dog the more she thinks she is the queen of the world type thing. She doesnt try to fight anyone but she becomes a bit more pushy so i have to keep up with her training and watch her very close i dont let her on my bed or anything stupid like that. She will never take any crap from any dog either ever. Her confidence is threw the roof. It really builds them up.

I don't think he will stay submissive for long.

TO the op i think it is great how honest you are and i think even tho you don't like the responses keep being really honest about your situation.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
pets4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #163 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,252
Default

This person posts an innocent remark about hoping his GSD would correct his Chi and you all go postal on him.

----------- No one went postal.

You tell him what he SHOULD have done - how is that helpful?

---------------- Very helpful. The dog is not "the decider" , he does not pull rank , at the moment he doesn't even have any rank - he was just introduced . A household with several dogs has to be sorted out and learn to live in harmony, some relative order , and the dog , no dog is in charge .

This person mentions getting a dog for personal protection and NO-ONE takes a few second to ask if he means the dog will ACTIVELY confront an intruder or attacker or if he just means the dog will be a deterrent. You ASSUME means meant the former and rip him up for spending money on a "green" dog.

-------- I am sorry I don't understand your point , what is a deterrent without confrontation .
I have placed dogs for purposes of personal protection -- the main underpinning of their training was vast exposure to normal life , on the street as it were - same experience as dogs going in to police work.


I no longer wonder why people leave the board.

-------------- because they got their answers?
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #164 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
ksotto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
You know what, people.

I am truly ASHAMED of being part of this board.

This person posts an innocent remark about hoping his GSD would correct his Chi and you all go postal on him. You tell him what he SHOULD have done - how is that helpful?

This person mentions getting a dog for personal protection and NO-ONE takes a few second to ask if he means the dog will ACTIVELY confront an intruder or attacker or if he just means the dog will be a deterrent. You ASSUME means meant the former and rip him up for spending money on a "green" dog.


I no longer wonder why people leave the board.
This is why I may post an occasional comment, but never an issue or problem. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, and if I ever want advice I will pm the ones that write with respect to others.
ksotto333 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #165 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
This is why I may post an occasional comment, but never an issue or problem. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, and if I ever want advice I will pm the ones that write with respect to others.
But by posting here, others get to learn too.

It can be harsh sometimes, but that's the nature of internet forums. Some people are boors, some are hypersensitive, seasoned oldsters judge everything, newbies unwittingly start wars, attention-seekers cause drama, everyone's a critic, etc. etc. etc....

None of it is personal, since no one really knows you.

Having said that, it's great to know who to talk to when you have a problem you don't want the world to know about.
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #166 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jeff. County, NY
Posts: 9,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZ86 View Post
So let me get this straight.

I post a dog that I am interested in purchasing but no one is interested in helping me because I don't know enough about GSD's, and when I do decide to purchase I get criticized because people think that I paid too much when in reality no one knows what i paid for him; but that doesn't matter because his training is less than perfect and I could find a MUCH better bred or quality of dog in the states. But when I post his bloodlines because yes (i admit I am not knowledgable on them) no one can tell me anything about them, and when someone who KNOWS bloodlines finally decides to comment there is nothing negative to say about the dog and his lines.

I get him, bring him home... He's great! Listens.. .Is good with my son.. and with my other dog. But wait? Still not good enough? How dare I take a picture of the new dog with our dog or our child. God forbid we like the dog enough to take a picture... he might rip one of our faces off... You're kidding right? Get real. (I would never put together a dog that didn't get along, the dog posted in the picture is extremely submissive and they enjoyed playing together). Chui is now separated and has been from the get go, I was just asking advice.

I try and take advice from some of you but there is a point to where it just gets ridiculous and no matter what I say there is someone who want's to dissect it. I can't even post a picture without getting ridiculed. If I knew how to delete them I would.

I will let you know if anyone's face get's ripped off.

CHEERS.
Ok, the advise we gave you from the beginning was to be careful because you never know what you get when you buy a dog from overseas.

I have not been disrespectful towards you. You wanted a dog that excells at obedience. Maybe you and the rest of us who come from the Schutzhund world have a different understanding of excelling. What you got is kind of a green dog, however, since I know where the dog is from, I know that they don't really rip people off. I spent time at that place when I was a kid and know most of the names and their reputation, which I also stated later on.

However, I do understand that you had a budget of 10 000k and I did say I hope you didn't pay that much because the dog is not worth it and yes, you could have gotten a titled dog for that kind of money but I also understand that that is probably not what you paid for the dog.

Either way, I'm happy that things worked out for you.

As for the Chi. Well... separation might be the best thing in the beginning.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #167 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Jack's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
You know what, people.

I am truly ASHAMED of being part of this board.

This person posts an innocent remark about hoping his GSD would correct his Chi and you all go postal on him. You tell him what he SHOULD have done - how is that helpful?

This person mentions getting a dog for personal protection and NO-ONE takes a few second to ask if he means the dog will ACTIVELY confront an intruder or attacker or if he just means the dog will be a deterrent. You ASSUME means meant the former and rip him up for spending money on a "green" dog.


I no longer wonder why people leave the board.
I'm with Laurie on this one.

If this OP had come on as a newcomer who had just brought this dog home, and not given the background they would have been treated differently.

Welcomed and told what a beautiful dog and congratulations.

Because they chose to make the board a part of their thought process they were worked over about almost everything.

Even as we speak someone is buying a puppy in front of some store somewhere or off craigs list.

This person gave it a lot more thought than most people do, but apparently didn't get it perfect according to some.

There is some serious group think about certain topics on here and I don't think some of it is helpful.

People start where they are not where they may be years from now and beating them over the head repeatedly is often counter productive and drives them away.

There were some good posts but saying the same things over and over is not helpful.

To the OP, you have a beautiful dog and I wish you the best.
Jack's Dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #168 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jeff. County, NY
Posts: 9,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I think a better option would have been for the OP to have bought a dog more local to her location-- and do not tell me that a dog similar to the one she imported was not possible. The reason I say this is because it would have allowed the OP (him/her) to make several visits , get involved with training and transfer of the dog over to her -- and once the dog was in its new home had the benefit of a breeder visit or communication and advice .
Once again the dog looks to be a stable dog with no red flags . There is however a huge and unrealistic expectation on behalf of the OP .

Who in the world would have a dog for a day or two and make a picture of a resident dog (the chihuahua) and the fresh-off-the-plane newby.

hope all goes well --
Honestly, I think it's time to let it go. She's got the dog, she's happy with it. That's all that matters.

I said before that I know where the dog is from. These people have a good reputation.


Quote:
Who in the world would have a dog for a day or two and make a picture of a resident dog (the chihuahua) and the fresh-off-the-plane newby.
I did. Not only that, I threw all of them together, into the backyard.
I even let her off the leash, only half an hour after I got to know the dog and had her running up and down a trail with Judge.

But then again, I'm a fairly good judge when it comes up to dogs and know which dogs I can throw together and based off of her behavior and personality that she wouldn't run.

Head over Heels into Dog Handling: Nala vom Kassler Kreuz arrived
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #169 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
yeah thats what i was thinking also that was crazy lol like right when it got off the plane she threw it into her other dogs face.
The above quote is an example of disrespect that gets people who ask for advice to leave.
You can still use respect in answering posts even though it might not be what the OP wants to hear. I think most comments have been respectful. Don't we all feel at least somewhat defensive if we are criticized when it comes to our dogs?
I hope the OP will stick around and proves us wrong. Good luck with the new dog.
wolfy dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #170 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SofaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 31
Default

Very, very well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
You know what, people.

I am truly ASHAMED of being part of this board.

This person posts an innocent remark about hoping his GSD would correct his Chi and you all go postal on him. You tell him what he SHOULD have done - how is that helpful?

This person mentions getting a dog for personal protection and NO-ONE takes a few second to ask if he means the dog will ACTIVELY confront an intruder or attacker or if he just means the dog will be a deterrent. You ASSUME means meant the former and rip him up for spending money on a "green" dog.


I no longer wonder why people leave the board.
Thank you.
SofaBear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com