My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #121 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You should have done the introductions slower and on neutral ground. Read up on how to do this properly:
Dog Tip: Introducing a New Dog to a Resident Dog
Introducing a New Dog to Your Resident Dog | petMD
Introducing a Dog to Other Pets : The Humane Society of the United States

Crate/rotate and take things slowly. Some dogs just don't get along, but you can manage it for now and hope it gets better in the future. That is the risk of a multi-dog household.
qbchottu is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #122 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dino is gorgeous. Congratulations on your new addition. I love the picture of him with your son. Totally agree - crate and rotate. Give it time and good luck.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #123 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congrats on your new arrival! He is a very nice looking dog. I am glad he gets along well with your son!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #124 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZ86 View Post
But Chui (my male) does not want anything to do with him and will growl and lunge at him. Dino is fairly submissive and doesn't respond, but I wish he would. I think Dino will eventually put Chui in his place and has growled at him a couple times but nothing severe enough to stop Chui from being a butt.
Really? You want your brand-new GSD to kill your resident Chihuahua?

Because if you just let them "work it out", Chui is going to get the short end of the stick for sure, and then you will have a GSD that has hurt or killed a smaller dog. You can't assume that Dino is going to be gentle about it when he "puts Chui in his place".

You should never just throw a new dog into the household with the resident animals, there should be a 2-week shutdown, crate and rotate. Can someone link to the explanation for the 2-week shutdown?
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #125 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You sound like a novice owner and I am starting to worry about the safety of the Chis and your insight in having a dog of this caliber.
Did the breeder and trainers of this dog ever council you on how to go about this once you got him home?
He knows how to bite and you need to channel it by continuing his training so I am taking back my earlier advice. I once heard a trainer mention that "A partially trained Schutzhund dog is like a loaded gun".
Be prepared that when the honey moon is over he might start to assert himself over your son as well.
wolfy dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #126 (permalink)

This will be my last post on the German Shepherd Forum. I am disappointed in those of you who have a "LOVE" for these animals but would run a newbie off by belittling and degrading us. Instead you should offer words of advice instead of being condescending. We are excited to have this dog in our lives and I feel the same about all of my animals... Whom I've yet to end the "honeymoon" stage as you speak.

Thank you to everyone who was positive and offered advice to me. I don't feel as though I would like to continue to be a member of the forum though as the vibe hasn't been very welcoming on my thread and as a new member. But I will seek advice from someone who is willing to help on a non condescending mature level.

Thank you.

Last edited by KLZ86; 11-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #127 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have your dogs on Nothing in Life is Free? That would be a good place to start for all dogs in your household. Since Dino is the new guy, I would make sure he gets extra crate time and would work the chi where he can see Dino. I would not let Dino correct the chi--that is your job. I would also keep them separate 100% of the time in the house and consult a good trainer/behaviorist to help you work out a plan.

I know that some of the posts on here sounded harsh but I personally have known of several gsds that killed small dogs in an instant and I think people are just looking out for your chi. Keep them separate in the house, bring in a trainer who can help you understand the dynamics and come up with a plan and hopefully one day they can all live together harmoniously. If not, crate and rotate is something that many people have to live with.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #128 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I once heard a trainer mention that "A partially trained Schutzhund dog is like a loaded gun".
Sooooo true! I have a friend who started her dog in bitework... and then went across the country for some graduate program, leaving the dog in the care of her not-dog-savvy husband. The dog bit a kid in the face, would attempt to kill every animal it saw (including horses, deer, other dogs, etc) and to be honest, I'm surprised the dog is alive. To be sure, it was poor management, but these were people who had never owned a GSD before, let alone a bite-trained GSD, and had no idea how to handle one. They would leave him in the unfenced yard, take him with them everywhere and let him run loose, stick him in a motorhome with a bunch of kids, basically, they were treating him like a Golden Retriever. Although I wouldn't even do that with a Golden.

It's too bad the OP doesn't want to learn from other people's mistakes, and has to make his own. I hope everything turns out okay and that the dog is wonderful, and no one ever gets hurt.
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #129 (permalink)
San

OP, I am not sure if you understood the term "honeymoon stage" in this context, it means the dog is new to your household so he is on his best behavior, his true self probably won't show for at least a few days, sometimes a couple of months. We are not implying that your family is going to get tired of the dog after the "honeymoon stage."

Congrats on your new dog. Don't overwhelm Dino or your chihuahuas, take it slow, keep them separated for now until you can get a trainer to help you sort everything out.

Best of luck! Certainly hope you are not going to leave the forum for this =)
San is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #130 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's too bad he's left ... San ... thanks for the clarification ... that was exactly what I meant ... I guess I should have put more information in my post.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.