My new dog is on his way from Germany! - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #111 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

If the OP is a horse trainer than they know full well that like with trained horses, even Grand Prix level, everytime you sit in the saddle you are "training ", the same with a dog, everytime you put on the leash you are "training" both animals should be maintained and fine tuned though their lives, younger ones more often than seasoned old pros.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #112 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
If the OP is a horse trainer than they know full well that like with trained horses, even Grand Prix level, everytime you sit in the saddle you are "training ", the same with a dog, everytime you put on the leash you are "training" both animals should be maintained and fine tuned though their lives, younger ones more often than seasoned old pros.
And they should never be treated as pieces of equipment. There should be a bond established and that should be the most important thing.
I think sometimes when people get a trained PP dog, they don't treat it as a companion.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #113 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
And they should never be treated as pieces of equipment. There should be a bond established and that should be the most important thing.
I think sometimes when people get a trained PP dog, they don't treat it as a companion.
Gharrissc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #114 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Here is the good news KLZ86.

Someone will bring up a Cesar Milan thread or what's wrong with show lines thread and all will be forgotten.

Put up some pictures when you get your dog.

@KLZ86 congratulations on your new pup!
Nigel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #115 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is my understanding that a protection dog is not necessarily a schutzhund dog. Am I wrong? I skipped the middle threads, but to me the videos looked like schutzhund work.
middleofnowhere is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #116 (permalink)
Banned

Yes and no...they have to have the nerves necessary to do Schutzhund but also they need ongoing training if expected to bite/protect.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #117 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
It is my understanding that a protection dog is not necessarily a schutzhund dog. Am I wrong? I skipped the middle threads, but to me the videos looked like schutzhund work.
I agree. But showing obedience is important, though I'd rather see the dog in a more civil manner...does he transition from a threat/friendly greeting type scenario.
Of course being a pup still, he may not be ready for that. Playing tug with a sleeve is not going to do any damage to him!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #118 (permalink)

Default Dino is here!

I just thought I would update this thread and let you all know that we picked up Dino yesterday.

He has been home for a day and he is doing really well! He listens better on leash than off of leash but other than that he is VERY good with my son and 2 small dogs. He seems to be adjusting pretty well and has a very keen sense of interest in my son. He will wait for him behind a door until he opens it and is very gentle. Dino is also alert and attentive to what is going on around us and he hasn't left my side since I got him from the airport. I love the fact that no matter where I am in the house I can just call his name and 2 seconds later expect to see him by my side. I am overall pretty happy with this dog!

I am having a small problem with one of my dogs though and maybe someone can me. Dino is very good with other dogs, especially my small dogs (under 10lbs). But one of my chi's is very jealous and I think he may be thinking his territory has been overtaken. As I have said before I have 2 chihuahua's. A female and male (both neutered). The female absolutely loves Dino and it's very cute to watch them play. But Chui (my male) does not want anything to do with him and will growl and lunge at him. Dino is fairly submissive and doesn't respond, but I wish he would. I think Dino will eventually put Chui in his place and has growled at him a couple times but nothing severe enough to stop Chui from being a butt. Are there any tips for me to get Chui to calm down a little and not be so jealous? He has some serious little dog syndrome going on.

My 2 chihuahuas... The one if front is the one Im having an issue with.

Last edited by KLZ86; 11-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
KLZ86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Dino is fairly submissive and doesn't respond, but I wish he would.
No, you really don't.

I'd do some crate/rotate and not expect everyone to love each other right away.
Scold your little dog, but do not hope for or encourage your GSD to "respond". It could be very ugly if he did.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #120 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
No, you really don't.

I'd do some crate/rotate and not expect everyone to love each other right away.
Scold your little dog, but do not hope for or encourage your GSD to "respond". It could be very ugly if he did.

Good lord ... NO ... you really don't want Dino to correct / respond. It could be deadly.

Congrats on having him home ... just remember ... there's always a honeymoon stage ... !!!!!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.