New puppy won't eat his food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy won't eat his food

Ok, I feel like a new mom. In a way, I am. I have not had a puppy for quite a long time. The last puppy I had ate his food right off. This last Saturday, my GSD puppy adopted me. His name is Quinlain Bear Von Nadelhaus, he came from a reputable breeder in my town. He is 7 weeks old. She sent me home with a bag of food that he had been eating. This is Wednesday now and he really hasn't touched his food. I have moistened it with hot water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Last night I added an egg with no luck. This morning, I added an egg and some kitty food, with no luck. Tonight on my way home I stopped at the store and picked up a jar of peanut butter. Which, if I spoon fed him, he ate it and then would eat a little out of bowl, then stop and I spoon fed him again. This went on for about 3 times. He ate more than he had but still not enough.

Is there anything else I could try? I know I have a baby but this is ridiculous to be adding peanut butter in his food and spoon feed him for the rest of our lives.

He does prefer pine cones over his food. So he would rather have foreign objects than puppy food.
Bear's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Don't give peanut butter. Don't let him eat pine cones. That could cause internal damage.
Ask your breeder for suggestions. What food are you feeding, btw? Is it what he was eating before you got him?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default puppy won't eat his food

I have read on the internet in other site to do this. Yes, I am using the same food that he ate at the breeders. I keep a close eye on him eating the pine cones. Take them out of his mouth and chuck them into the bushes. I am getting a lot of exercise, bend down, stand up, bend down, stand up, run, bend down, stand up......
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

When your puppy is off it's food take it's temperature. Mine was off and she had a temp of 105! Luckily I knew what to do by cooling her down and immediately ran her to the vet down the road. When I got there it dropped to 103.5 and they gave her a shot to reduce it and started her on antibiotics. As soon as,the fever broke her appetite came back immediately!
dbrk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I have read on the internet in other site to do this.
To use peanut butter???

It's not even good for dogs, it's basically fat. Once in a while, for a small treat, but daily?? Not good.
If anything you'd want to use something like canned dog food mixed in, or even soften the food.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thank you dbrk9

I have thought about taking Bear to the Vets (fortunately he right across the street). I don't know how to take a dogs temperature, never had to. What is normal, what is high? He does seem to sleep alot and I am just contributing it to being a puppy and need his rest. He does play and run around. But it is not like I have seen other puppies. At times when Bear is walking around, one leg "gives out" on him. I once again contribute it to being so young. So maybe I will take him to the vets and have him take a look. Unless I hear these are normal traits.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default peanut butter

No not use pbutter every day but just to stimulate the appetite. I do moisten it with water first and let it get soft. He would just turn his nose up to it. I don't want to start canned food as it will get expensive to buy all the time. I believe in spoiling some but within my budget means.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

But if you feed it with PB to get the puppy to eat, it will expect that.
Canned food at least has nutrients dogs need.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If he checks out fine at the vet...get some green beef tripe, either fresh frozen (better) or "Trippet" canned, you won't need much, like a 1/4-1/3 of a can. That should get him to eat.

Tripe is a superfood, packed with natural enzymes and probiotics

You said the food the breeder feeds. What is the food, it could be moldy or off, google recalls...have a really good look and smell. Sometimes tricking a dog to eat his food is not the best way to go. He may just know something you don't
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Gatorbytes

The food is Royal Canine puppy 30. I am going to just go to the vet. This is my best option. I am tired of trying this and trying that. He just needs to be checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.