German Shepherds Forum banner

New puppy won't eat his food

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  MattLink 
#1 ·
Ok, I feel like a new mom. In a way, I am. I have not had a puppy for quite a long time. The last puppy I had ate his food right off. This last Saturday, my GSD puppy adopted me. His name is Quinlain Bear Von Nadelhaus, he came from a reputable breeder in my town. He is 7 weeks old. She sent me home with a bag of food that he had been eating. This is Wednesday now and he really hasn't touched his food. I have moistened it with hot water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Last night I added an egg with no luck. This morning, I added an egg and some kitty food, with no luck. Tonight on my way home I stopped at the store and picked up a jar of peanut butter. Which, if I spoon fed him, he ate it and then would eat a little out of bowl, then stop and I spoon fed him again. This went on for about 3 times. He ate more than he had but still not enough.

Is there anything else I could try? I know I have a baby but this is ridiculous to be adding peanut butter in his food and spoon feed him for the rest of our lives.

He does prefer pine cones over his food. So he would rather have foreign objects than puppy food.

#2 ·
Don't give peanut butter. Don't let him eat pine cones. That could cause internal damage.
Ask your breeder for suggestions. What food are you feeding, btw? Is it what he was eating before you got him?

#3 ·
puppy won't eat his food

I have read on the internet in other site to do this. Yes, I am using the same food that he ate at the breeders. I keep a close eye on him eating the pine cones. Take them out of his mouth and chuck them into the bushes. I am getting a lot of exercise, bend down, stand up, bend down, stand up, run, bend down, stand up......

#4 ·
When your puppy is off it's food take it's temperature. Mine was off and she had a temp of 105! Luckily I knew what to do by cooling her down and immediately ran her to the vet down the road. When I got there it dropped to 103.5 and they gave her a shot to reduce it and started her on antibiotics. As soon as,the fever broke her appetite came back immediately!

#5 ·
I have read on the internet in other site to do this.
To use peanut butter???

It's not even good for dogs, it's basically fat. Once in a while, for a small treat, but daily?? Not good.
If anything you'd want to use something like canned dog food mixed in, or even soften the food.

#6 ·
Thank you dbrk9

I have thought about taking Bear to the Vets (fortunately he right across the street). I don't know how to take a dogs temperature, never had to. What is normal, what is high? He does seem to sleep alot and I am just contributing it to being a puppy and need his rest. He does play and run around. But it is not like I have seen other puppies. At times when Bear is walking around, one leg "gives out" on him. I once again contribute it to being so young. So maybe I will take him to the vets and have him take a look. Unless I hear these are normal traits.

#7 ·
peanut butter

No not use pbutter every day but just to stimulate the appetite. I do moisten it with water first and let it get soft. He would just turn his nose up to it. I don't want to start canned food as it will get expensive to buy all the time. I believe in spoiling some but within my budget means.

#9 ·
If he checks out fine at the vet...get some green beef tripe, either fresh frozen (better) or "Trippet" canned, you won't need much, like a 1/4-1/3 of a can. That should get him to eat.

Tripe is a superfood, packed with natural enzymes and probiotics

You said the food the breeder feeds. What is the food, it could be moldy or off, google recalls...have a really good look and smell. Sometimes tricking a dog to eat his food is not the best way to go. He may just know something you don't;)

#12 ·
I feed peanut butter to my dogs all the time but as a treat or to get them to take their pills. It's fine to use so don't worry about that.

Sounds like a vet check would be best. Are you still in contact with the breeder? I'd definitely also talk with them and find out how the rest of the puppies in the litter are doing and if picky eaters are to be expected.

I've had dogs that are chow hounds and eat everything in sight, and I've had dogs that will skip meals for days. What is 'normal'' for one dog is not for another. So finding a good kibble they generally like and is healthy for them is key, then working out what to add to get them to eat it!

Have you found this part of the forum yet?? ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/162644-pup-doesnt-want-eat-picky-eater.html

:paw:

#13 · (Edited)
Have the puppy checked.
He may have coccidia. This parasite can become very active when a puppy is under stress....going to a new home and enviroment IS stress on a puppy.
When a puppy has coccidia...it loses appetite and may have loose stools.

ETA: Also...when puppies leave a "litter", they can also become "picky" when it comes to eating. They no longer have to compete for food with their littermates.....and they CAN become pia, when it comes to meal time.

#15 ·
I took Bear to the Vets this afternoon. I live right across the street from the Vets office, so when they asked for stool sample, I walked across the street with Bear and since he left stool going to and from the Vets (yes it was on my property) I was able to turn in a stool sample. Will know the results tomorrow sometime.

I also learned a bit from the Vet and told him to address anything with me that needs to be addressed as I want a companion for life who will be a great asset to me and be a protector if the need arises. So I learned a couple of things will put them in practice.

Thank you for all the responses.

#17 ·
Clean bill of health

The vet cleared Bear from health issues. I scrambled an egg (recommended by a co-worker) and mixed it with his moist food, and guess what?!? He started eating. He won't eat his food unless there is a scrambled egg in it. I will wean him off of it and use different things as treats with his food as time goes on. Thanks again for all the great advice.

#18 ·
Are eggs less expensive than canned food? ;)
We keep canned on hand to wean picky dogs into eating it, we often get dogs in that have never had dog food and only ate people food. We mix the canned in as you're doing with the eggs, a tablespoon of it or so and they usually start eating.

Good luck. Glad the vet had some suggestions for you.

#19 ·
Eggs are better for the health of the dog then canned food.

Same w/Tripe -doesn't take much

Egg can be raw (better) or cooked, but if scrambling only use raw cold pressed coconut oil or butter - NEVER margarine.

Mixing it up is best...some suggest eggs should be fed 3-4x per week. Adding tripe, or making a home-made bone stock (from raw chicken and other bones - excellent for joint health) too to top up the food...packed w/vital nutrients and nourishes the kidney's and liver

#20 ·
That would depend on the type of canned food used.
Pedigree, not so much. Merrick makes a darned good canned, though ;)

At least canned dog food would meet nutritional requirements and not unbalance the diet.

#21 ·
I buy freeze dried liver treats for my dog. He's fed raw, but my brothers dog is fed kibble. At the bottom of these bags of freeze dried liver treats there's powder left over from crushed treats which I give to my brother to mix in his dogs kibble. Without it she often won't eat.
I used the same technique with my dog to get him to eat fish with some success, but of course this isn't a permanent solution.
See your vet, but it's possible you just need to try alternative foods. I know my local Global Pet Foods sells bags of kibble in sample sizes of about 2 meals for your dog to try, you might consider that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.