German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New puppy won't eat his food (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/194412-new-puppy-wont-eat-his-food.html)

Bear's mommy 11-14-2012 11:58 PM

New puppy won't eat his food

Ok, I feel like a new mom. In a way, I am. I have not had a puppy for quite a long time. The last puppy I had ate his food right off. This last Saturday, my GSD puppy adopted me. His name is Quinlain Bear Von Nadelhaus, he came from a reputable breeder in my town. He is 7 weeks old. She sent me home with a bag of food that he had been eating. This is Wednesday now and he really hasn't touched his food. I have moistened it with hot water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Last night I added an egg with no luck. This morning, I added an egg and some kitty food, with no luck. Tonight on my way home I stopped at the store and picked up a jar of peanut butter. Which, if I spoon fed him, he ate it and then would eat a little out of bowl, then stop and I spoon fed him again. This went on for about 3 times. He ate more than he had but still not enough.

Is there anything else I could try? I know I have a baby but this is ridiculous to be adding peanut butter in his food and spoon feed him for the rest of our lives.

He does prefer pine cones over his food. So he would rather have foreign objects than puppy food.

msvette2u 11-15-2012 12:01 AM

Don't give peanut butter. Don't let him eat pine cones. That could cause internal damage.
Ask your breeder for suggestions. What food are you feeding, btw? Is it what he was eating before you got him?

Bear's mommy 11-15-2012 12:13 AM

puppy won't eat his food

I have read on the internet in other site to do this. Yes, I am using the same food that he ate at the breeders. I keep a close eye on him eating the pine cones. Take them out of his mouth and chuck them into the bushes. I am getting a lot of exercise, bend down, stand up, bend down, stand up, run, bend down, stand up......

dbrk9 11-15-2012 12:20 AM

When your puppy is off it's food take it's temperature. Mine was off and she had a temp of 105! Luckily I knew what to do by cooling her down and immediately ran her to the vet down the road. When I got there it dropped to 103.5 and they gave her a shot to reduce it and started her on antibiotics. As soon as,the fever broke her appetite came back immediately!

msvette2u 11-15-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

I have read on the internet in other site to do this.
To use peanut butter???

It's not even good for dogs, it's basically fat. Once in a while, for a small treat, but daily?? Not good.
If anything you'd want to use something like canned dog food mixed in, or even soften the food.

Bear's mommy 11-15-2012 12:37 AM

Thank you dbrk9

I have thought about taking Bear to the Vets (fortunately he right across the street). I don't know how to take a dogs temperature, never had to. What is normal, what is high? He does seem to sleep alot and I am just contributing it to being a puppy and need his rest. He does play and run around. But it is not like I have seen other puppies. At times when Bear is walking around, one leg "gives out" on him. I once again contribute it to being so young. So maybe I will take him to the vets and have him take a look. Unless I hear these are normal traits.

Bear's mommy 11-15-2012 12:39 AM

peanut butter

No not use pbutter every day but just to stimulate the appetite. I do moisten it with water first and let it get soft. He would just turn his nose up to it. I don't want to start canned food as it will get expensive to buy all the time. I believe in spoiling some but within my budget means.

msvette2u 11-15-2012 01:02 AM

But if you feed it with PB to get the puppy to eat, it will expect that.
Canned food at least has nutrients dogs need.

GatorBytes 11-15-2012 01:21 AM

If he checks out fine at the vet...get some green beef tripe, either fresh frozen (better) or "Trippet" canned, you won't need much, like a 1/4-1/3 of a can. That should get him to eat.

Tripe is a superfood, packed with natural enzymes and probiotics

You said the food the breeder feeds. What is the food, it could be moldy or off, google recalls...have a really good look and smell. Sometimes tricking a dog to eat his food is not the best way to go. He may just know something you don't;)

Bear's mommy 11-15-2012 09:26 AM

Gatorbytes

The food is Royal Canine puppy 30. I am going to just go to the vet. This is my best option. I am tired of trying this and trying that. He just needs to be checked out.