New puppy won't eat his food - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Royal Canin has a lot of corn. You want to read labels and avoid corn, wheat, soy and by-products.
There's a lot of better foods out there than that
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I feed peanut butter to my dogs all the time but as a treat or to get them to take their pills. It's fine to use so don't worry about that.

Sounds like a vet check would be best. Are you still in contact with the breeder? I'd definitely also talk with them and find out how the rest of the puppies in the litter are doing and if picky eaters are to be expected.

I've had dogs that are chow hounds and eat everything in sight, and I've had dogs that will skip meals for days. What is 'normal'' for one dog is not for another. So finding a good kibble they generally like and is healthy for them is key, then working out what to add to get them to eat it!

Have you found this part of the forum yet?? ---> Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?)

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have the puppy checked.
He may have coccidia. This parasite can become very active when a puppy is under stress....going to a new home and enviroment IS stress on a puppy.
When a puppy has coccidia...it loses appetite and may have loose stools.

ETA: Also...when puppies leave a "litter", they can also become "picky" when it comes to eating. They no longer have to compete for food with their littermates.....and they CAN become pia, when it comes to meal time.

Last edited by robinhuerta; 11-15-2012 at 10:56 AM.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

If you like the Royal Canin product, I would suggest Maxi Puppy. It does contain some corn but if your dog isn't grain sensitive I would not get too twisted over it. Some recent studies out of Cornell addresses the use of corn in dog kibble.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

I took Bear to the Vets this afternoon. I live right across the street from the Vets office, so when they asked for stool sample, I walked across the street with Bear and since he left stool going to and from the Vets (yes it was on my property) I was able to turn in a stool sample. Will know the results tomorrow sometime.

I also learned a bit from the Vet and told him to address anything with me that needs to be addressed as I want a companion for life who will be a great asset to me and be a protector if the need arises. So I learned a couple of things will put them in practice.

Thank you for all the responses.
Bear's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hope everything turns out fine.

About tripe - short dogs naturally article

Five Foods You Should Feed Your Dog
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Smile Clean bill of health

The vet cleared Bear from health issues. I scrambled an egg (recommended by a co-worker) and mixed it with his moist food, and guess what?!? He started eating. He won't eat his food unless there is a scrambled egg in it. I will wean him off of it and use different things as treats with his food as time goes on. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Bear's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Are eggs less expensive than canned food?
We keep canned on hand to wean picky dogs into eating it, we often get dogs in that have never had dog food and only ate people food. We mix the canned in as you're doing with the eggs, a tablespoon of it or so and they usually start eating.

Good luck. Glad the vet had some suggestions for you.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Eggs are better for the health of the dog then canned food.

Same w/Tripe -doesn't take much

Egg can be raw (better) or cooked, but if scrambling only use raw cold pressed coconut oil or butter - NEVER margarine.

Mixing it up is best...some suggest eggs should be fed 3-4x per week. Adding tripe, or making a home-made bone stock (from raw chicken and other bones - excellent for joint health) too to top up the food...packed w/vital nutrients and nourishes the kidney's and liver
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

That would depend on the type of canned food used.
Pedigree, not so much. Merrick makes a darned good canned, though

At least canned dog food would meet nutritional requirements and not unbalance the diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.