Potentional first time GSD owner with ?s - Advice GREATLY appreciated! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lol, so he probably won't even hit 100, but he'll still over power you, and the 20 lbs difference between genders makes a difference, as well as the attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A rescue is looking to see if the yard is fully and securely fenced - you wouldn't believe how many people say they have a fenced yard when it only has a fence on 2 or 3 sides - and that the inside of the house is a safe environment for the dog. If the house has a lot of clutter, that might be a problem until you get it cleaned up. That sort of thing isn't safe for a dog no matter what.

You can post a thread here saying you are looking for a retired breeder or an even better option would be to go over to workingdog.com and post it over there. There's a lot more breeders on that forum than here.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLink View Post
Lol, so he probably won't even hit 100, but he'll still over power you, and the 20 lbs difference between genders makes a difference, as well as the attitude.

Do you only have out of control monster dogs in your life? Good grief!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

My last GSD was a somewhat large female who had been abused and was extremely aggressive, but that's not why I suggested the dog would run after someone, I suggested that because its a dog and not being handled by an experienced person. And the weight was a bit exaggerated but came from a GSD male who weighed in at over 100 lbs at the vet a couple months ago.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No one is suggesting this person gets an oversized extremely aggressive out of control dog. That seems to be what you wanted, but not what anyone would suggest for a first time owner.

This is why an adult rescue or retired breeder is a good option so she can find one that is well mannered and settled so she mostly only has to deal with herself learning about handling a dog rather than having to teach the dog too.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Err... I'm not sure what context I'm being taken in.
I wouldn't suggest a large or aggressive dog, I was warning against it. While I'm pro taking in rescue dogs, my concern is that you never know for sure what they've been taught, or how well. So I'm suggesting she takes the safer route.
For example, Link loved chasing joggers (playful intentions) on our walks and I taught him otherwise. Who's to say her new dog doesn't like to chase joggers still? So pick a GSD that's less likely to drag you if you're not confident in your ability to train the dog otherwise.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

retired breeder or a good rescue some rescues can make great protective pets if you find the right one.

IF you do get one from a breeder make sure ur clear that you are a first time dog/gsd owner and they dont stick you with a high drive hard to handle retired breeder. There are a lot of retired breeders a first time owner might struggle with. Just be really clear with the breeder you will be tempted to jump when you see a dog you like lol 4 or 5 years is great even if the dog is healthy its a great age i think.

Try to check with others before you make your decision just to be safe lol i would do that

Last edited by pets4life; 11-17-2012 at 09:29 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most retired breeders are going to be in the over 6 year old stage which is a great age for a new dog owner.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Yes, I've definitely decided to not get a puppy, as Elaine and others suggested. So, does 4-5 years old sound good, or a bit younger? Elaine, what's a good way to find reputable breeders?

Emoore, my fence is over 6 ft tall and all three of my adjacent neighbors keep their dogs in their yards, but I also have no problem giving my GSD free run of the house. I don't know if GSDs like to wander around but there would be plenty of space for him/her to do that, even indoors.
My dogs have free run of the house while I'm gone. They are only in the yard with supervision. Years ago one was running the fenceline with another dog and got a bad cut over his eye from a piece of wood sticking out that I had overlooked. Dogs can develop habits like fence fighting or nuisance barking when left outside. That's why mine stay inside. They just sleep on the couch when I'm gone.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.