Worried about new pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worried about new pup

Hello all. Me and my family just bought our first GSD on Friday November 9th 2012. In our home, we have myself and my husband and our four children, our bunny named Oreo, and now, our little Kota. He was born July 27th 2012 so he is nearly four months now. I've been studying up on the breed for nearly a year now and we finally decided to bring one home. We named him Kota and he is just a little love bug. I do have some concerns though. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow at 5pm and hope to have some answers. He is very smart and is already potty trained.....I think. He hasn't had an accident since day two and we are on day four I take him out frequently and also, he sits by the door when he needs to go out. I've been using the clicker and treats and praise to help him learn. He is very kind and great with our kids. Here are my conerns---1. His back paws often turn outward, like, completely....East and West, seriously. It's not constant, but verrry often. He also is terrified of stairs and struggles with them. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but like, his feet are too floppy. He is scared of everything also. He gets playful here and there, but mostly, he lays. Clearly, he loves me already He follows me everywhere and gives me lots of lovin. 2. He had bad fleas when we bought him. ( we didnt' know it at the time.) we took him home and tried to bathe him and he is TERRIFIED of water and that went bad ( I have many bruises.) So, when we found the fleas, we took him to Pet Co to get groomed. They were shocked at how scared he was. We also put Pronyl on him, but yet, he is still itching I also treated my carpets. 3. He is very skinny and today he would hardly eat, but did nip at grass outside, and today was dragging his butt on the ground so I'm scared he has worms. 4. I understand we haven't had him but for a few days, and he is a puppy, but he def doesn't have that proud, strong, GSD look. I want to be able to make him healthy, happy, and confident, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine had an ear infection and worms when I brought her home In order to move forward, a vet visit is probably a good idea. The first few days with mine were not as smooth as yours so far. Mine walked in the house and acted like she owned it in the door She has never been afraid of much. Mine wasn't potty trained either, so you are very lucky there. Once you see the vet and they ease your mind, everything will be okay. You want to make sure the dog is cleared medically, then you can start working on socialization in full force. Good luck and congrats on your puppy!! Any pictures??
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx for the reply! I kind of expected a GSD to walk in the door and act like he owned it lol, I didn't expect the scardy cat...ugh, dog LOL. I can't wait for the vet visit. I will feel SOOOO much better when I have some answers. Yes, I am very lucky about the potty training. He had no prior training, so learning in a few days is a small miracle I am not exactly sure how to post pics, but I'm gonna have my husband help. I hope to have his pic up shortly
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have litter mates, 2 females. One is pretty adventurous and the other, not so much. You can work with him and build his confidence through exposure and training.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of GSD's!

Did you get Kota from a breeder? How was he kept(kennel or indoors?) Good that you are going to the vet, obviously at his age he is up to date on vaccines(except maybe the rabies)? Look at this link for some vaccine information(over vaccinating can be harmful): Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the link. Yes, I did buy Kota from a breeder and he was in a kennel. I have his papers, his AKC paperwork, his vaccines are current, his hips are guarenteed/x rayed, etc. and I could breed him if I wanted to, but I'm not going to. Our vet appt isn't coming soon enough today!! I do believe he will be getting his rabies vax today. I just want to know that I'm just paranoid and his hind legs are ok.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good luck at the vet. Please give us an update, when you can.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
Thank you for the link. Yes, I did buy Kota from a breeder and he was in a kennel. I have his papers, his AKC paperwork, his vaccines are current, his hips are guarenteed/x rayed, etc. and I could breed him if I wanted to, but I'm not going to. Our vet appt isn't coming soon enough today!! I do believe he will be getting his rabies vax today. I just want to know that I'm just paranoid and his hind legs are ok.
If he were mine, I would not get any vaccinations until he is settled into your home, his health has improved and he is eating very well. If his immune system happens to be down right now from all of the stress, you could asking for more problems. Vaccines state that they should only be given to healthy dogs, and he sounds a little off right now, so don't let your vet talk you into it today. Oynxgirl gave you a great site! Also check out these articles and sites:
According to Dana Scott of Dog’s Naturally Magazine: Any vaccine given at any point in a dog’s life has the ability to kill him or cause serious harm. Most vets pay a lot of attention to vaccinating but very little attention to immunizing. The result is that most puppy vaccination series are poorly timed and the wrong vaccines are given at inappropriate times and given too often. Simply stated, puppies are vaccinated too early, too often and with too many vaccines at once. When this happens, the vaccines suppress the immune system instead of supporting it – or in many cases, they can cause an over-stimulation of the immune system and the body can begin to attack its own cells (autoimmune disease). So it is crucial that every vaccine and every puppy is treated with the utmost caution and care and that immunization, not vaccination, is the goal. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/2012/May2012.pd Read the entire article beginning on Page 28
The Purdue Vaccination Studies and Auto-antibodies by Catherine O’Driscoll on April 26, 2011 The Purdue Vaccination Studies and Auto-antibodies
Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots by Dogs Naturally on July 12, 2011 Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots
Protecting Your Puppy From Disease: Protecting Your Puppy From Disease
Bordatella Vaccinations: Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy
The following sites have a WEALTH of knowledge on vaccinations. PLEASE BE INFORMED BEFORE YOU COMMIT:Top Natural Holistic Dog Health Care Book: Multiple Award Winner Shirley’s Wellness Café and inoculations: Pet vaccination warning. Severe adverse reaction to immunization
Welcome, and I wish you happiness with your new pup!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just to concur w/Onyx and Mom's...It is clearly stated on the insert of a box of vaccines from the manufacturers that they should not be given at any sign of illness...Rabies should not be given until 6 months min. a year if you can get away with it re: laws in your area.

My dog hasn't been vaccinated since Jan. 2008...I was told it would be fine despite he had chronic diarrhea/soft stool, winter itch and had been scripted 3 rounds of amoxicillon for a toe infection from a cut (started vomiting on the third round so I stopped them - the cut was healed, but the vet wanted to keep scripting "just in case" of secondary bacterial infection from scratching - even though he had no lesions)...they also jammed a steroid shot in at the same time (did nothing for his itch, not even temp.) as the vaccines incl. rabies.

Seems they just throw the insert away and take the money (oops, I am ranting)...Needless to say I never went back to them again...I found a Holistic Vet...DVM for 30+ years...she gave me the confidence that vaccines were not going to be req'd again...now that is the case with a full grown dog.

You might (being the operative word) need to do another round do to maternal immunity, BUT the only way to tell is if you do titers first (blood work) to check for antibodies...if your pup has them, then he is immunized for life.

The scooting could be worms or anal gland problem...the vet may express them - this should NOT become routine as this can damage the fragile vessels and become infected and then you are in for a whole world of hurt. A natural diet (raw) containing bone will bulk up the stool enough to express the glands with natural elimination.

Hold off on the rabies untill all is well
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

So,....my fears are not all better now My friend told me about a clinic and so I went, but come to find out, it's not a "real" vet hospital. They don't even do x ray. So, I am making an appt with Gateway. The vet said that she is concered about his hind legs She noticed right away how much his back feet turn out) and how he's wobbly. We are doing a stool sample to test for worms. He did have to get his rabies vax because "The Cuyahoga County Board of Health requires that all dogs, cats and ferrets that reside in the Boards health jurisdiction are vaccinated against the rabies virus when they turn 4 months old." I am gonna be a wreck until he is x rayed and I know for sure I just don't get it. His hips are guaranteed and were x rayed....so I just don't get it. I also don't get why all of ao sudden today, he decided to get all aggressive. He was as gentle as could be at the vet, but as soon as another dog walked by, he was nuts. He was barking and growling. When we got home, he snapped at my kids. If his hips are messed up, I could get a new puppy according to the contract, but I wouldn't do it. I can't give him back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.