Worried about new pup - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
looked at your pics, and again I wouldn't worry about hips at this point, alot of puppies are gangly, out of proportion, clutzy etc at this age and beyond for a while.
This exactly.
Like Jakoda said, lots of people have misconceptions about GSDs and their hips.
Our last foster GSD had a very overdone rear, a lot of angulation - that's a leg thing, not a hip thing. She seemed as if she was American bred lines, the kind of excess angulation you sometimes see. But nothing was out of proportion badly.
But the one comment we kept getting at one adoption event was "OH her hips are awful". "She's crippled!"

Really - THIS dog has HD just because she was standing crouched a bit due to the overwhelming nature of an adoption event.

Many vets don't understand GSD anatomy and say the silliest things.
Pay no attention. Love your dog, exercise him, take care of him, love him
I would recommend a supplement, such as Next Level joint fluid.
Farnam Next Level Equine Joint Fluid, 32 oz. - 5031682 | Tractor Supply Company
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #72 (permalink)

Gatorbytes, I did and thank you. I'm not so concerned about HD after talking with Selzer more. I knew the breeder is EXCELLENT so I didnt' question that and Selzer has had puppies by my puppies dad and hers are good. We're still doing the x rays ( for more of peace of mind at this point) but I just wondered if Kota was an odd-ball. Anyways, people asked to see pics of his hind legs and thats why I posted. I'm even having more hope that some of this will correct itself, although, I know not completely. And FYI to everyone, he hasn't nipped since I yelled IPE last night! hahaha, I think it is magic I really want to thank all of you for your input and I will def be letting everyone know how the x rays turn out ( although I'm hopeful he's ok now!).
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #73 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
Gatorbytes, I did and thank you. I'm not so concerned about HD after talking with Selzer more. I knew the breeder is EXCELLENT so I didnt' question that and Selzer has had puppies by my puppies dad and hers are good. We're still doing the x rays ( for more of peace of mind at this point) but I just wondered if Kota was an odd-ball. Anyways, people asked to see pics of his hind legs and thats why I posted. I'm even having more hope that some of this will correct itself, although, I know not completely. And FYI to everyone, he hasn't nipped since I yelled IPE last night! hahaha, I think it is magic I really want to thank all of you for your input and I will def be letting everyone know how the x rays turn out ( although I'm hopeful he's ok now!).
I am glad you are feeling more hopeful. But deficiency will not fix itself. This starts wit what you put into the dog. Prevention is easier then cure.

Also note that anesthetic drugs are dangerous, and this friday might be too close to the rabies vaccine. Some are on the MDR1 NO list and some are implictated in acute pancreatitis - related to low oxygen flow while under.
The question lies - do the risks outweigh the benefits - perhaps wait until the dog has reached his immune systems maturity - 6 months min. and give this time to make sure there are no side effects from the rabies vax. and change your dogs diet to natural and start to build on the connective tissues and muscle that secure the skeletal frame for proper development. Then in a 2-3 months make that decision to x-ray.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would probably wait to x-ray. I think you would probably get a better picture if you pre-lim at 12 months or even 9 months. And I agree that you really don't want to over-do anesthetic. But that is up to you. If you see that the puppy is loose now through the x-ray, you can supplement with vitamin C, put him on a good food -- no excessive amounts of calcium, keep him trim, and a moderate amount of exercise to build the muscles. And then check him again around age two.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #75 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

I agree, I wouldn't even x-ray him till he was 1 just for prelims, and only if I had a question, otherwise I would wait till 2. I see a perfectly normal showline puppy at the gangly stage, nothing more, nothing less.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Been reading this thread for a few days now and I just wanted to say it sounds like you guys are getting it together! GSD's can be tough pups to handle especially with the land shark stage and small kids.

I like the IPE!!! As Cassidy's Mom said sometimes it works sometimes not, depends on the dog. I also get very still and stop moving apppendages like hands and feet. Those pseky hands and feet seem to attract puppies. especially when they are moving - what FUN!!!

I could not see your pictures but have to agree, puppies are loose goosey as they develop so probably not to worry. Just as an aside, hip certifird parents does not guarantee HD free pups. You certainly raise your odds but there really is never any way to guarantee. If you continue to worry, you might look into PennHip xrays. They can be done as early as 16 weeks.

Sire and Dam temperamnt are important to consider when selecting a puppy but again no guarnatee. My pup is one of 4 puppies. Sire and Dam have excellent temper, 3 male pups have excellent temper. Lydi is a bit cautious. Happens.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #77 (permalink)

It's been quite a journey and we're not even two weeks in yet! I thank you all for your input. We are waiting on the x rays now. Sire and Dam have great temperments. Bear with me while I do all my learning guys! Kota was clearly puppy playing and not being aggressive, I now know and see. He is jumping up non stop now ( stealing food off plates!) hahaha, and becoming quite active. He is doing great with the stairs now also. I guess most of it was new pup in new enviornment stuff. Kota is doing really well with SIT, DOWN, COME, and OFF. And yelling IPE reallly works with him!! It's kinda fun too hahaha. Anyways, a little while ago Kota was chewing on the side of my computer desk. I grabbed his mouth off of it and gave him his big cream and blue "treat ball". He made the switch with no argument at all. Then he was chewing on the leg of my computer desk chair and again, I gave him the ball and he made the switch with no argument. He got bored with that and decided to start play nipping Momma ( and I love the land shark comparison!) and I IPE'd again, and it is immeadiate. He lets go and doesn't attempt again. It's awesome! He isn't a fearful anymore and he is getting more confident and curious. It looks like a lot of my worries were misunderstandings, vet scares, and new pup enviornment issues. Which now I feel terrible about because even though my breeder is unamed, I would never wish anyone to think any ill of his breeder. Kota is a sweetheart and apparently doing everything he is suppose to! He is cowhocked, but I believe now some of that may improve! From the bottom of my heart, thank you all.

Last edited by KotasMommy; 11-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #78 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Glad to see things are better, enjoy your puppy and stop worrying about the what if's. I think its extreemly important for your children to be taught the proper ways to handle the puppy, see if you can find a "Family Dog" puppy class, this way everyone is on the same page.
As far as the hard floors, definately throw rugs and teach the pup "NO Running in the house". I actually don't allow my dogs to get all riled up in the house anyway, trust me it's a good choice.
Good luck with your puppy.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
And yelling IPE reallly works with him!! It's kinda fun too hahaha.
Please be patient with me, but...sooo was it a high-pitched IPE?
SofaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #80 (permalink)

Hahaha, Sue, yes today I know it was a high pitched IPE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.