Worried about new pup - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #51 (permalink)

Oh yes, and @selzer , I am not afraid of managing my puppy. He is four months old and I know that GSD's and kids live together in harmony all the time, but new puppy + new nipping raised some serious concerns. His insistence did scare me last night, but apparently, it was puppy play. I have been on this forums, other sites, two vets, and talked with many obedience schools also, because I want the best for him and my family. If it turns out he DOES have serious aggression, my kids come first. BUT---I would do all in my power with training and professionals before it came to that.
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #52 (permalink)

One more thing, you can't see it , but where Kota is sitting in my profile pic is right infront of my basement door with is off my kitchen. I have a bathroom right off my kitchen which is next to the basement door as well. Literally, it was seconds that I was gone throwing some clothes in the bathroom hamper, which is why I said it scared me that he did it asap. I don't mean to come of as a "complainer", I'm just concerned and worried of course about his hips. Just as google tells you that you are dying of cancer when you type in cold symptoms, I have been searching signs of HD in pups ever since the vet gave his grave speech.........I'm just concerned and wishing someone could just say "Kota is fine. Kota will be fine. Cow-hocked isn't important" etc.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #53 (permalink)

And now that I've made four posts in a row, did you ever hear the story about the kid who wanted to pass his drivers test so he studied the make up of a car? That how I feel now :/ In all my researching GSD's, I missed some of the most important things. I'd never even heard of "cow hocked" until last week.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I probably met your puppy before you got it. I have met both sire and dam. The two puppies I met were fine temperament wise, and the sire and dam both have excellent temperament.
Sue, haven't you used this sire yourself? So you have done more than just "met" him, right? How has temperament been in your puppies by this dog?
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #55 (permalink)

Sheilah, his breeder said parents temperment are great. If Sue has breed with Gispo, I'd love to know the puppies temperments. Gispo seems wonderful on all accounts. Kota's mommy "Lia" looks like she's won an award ( in the pic on the breeders site.) I was never questioning breeding at all. I just figured that sometimes, theres an odd-ball in the mix. Although, its looking like Kota isn't such an oddball after all
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #56 (permalink)

If the puppy is only 3 months old then I would say he sees your child as a littermate - something to wrestle with and chew on and do all the things young puppies do to each other.

I highly doubt it is dominance or aggression - puppies that young rarely know what those things are.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
If the puppy is only 3 months old then I would say he sees your child as a littermate - something to wrestle with and chew on and do all the things young puppies do to each other.

I highly doubt it is dominance or aggression - puppies that young rarely know what those things are.
completely agree, and the smells young children have on them are attractive to pups/dogs. He is treating your children as packmates and you need to step up to let pup know he is below the children in the family order. Hope those x-rays show good hips and he is just growing awkwardly.
I wonder if it is just his lines that are causing him the angulation issues. It is common in certain lines, unfortunately.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #58 (permalink)

Jane and Lauri, thank you so much!! Because I know that he could have hurt us if he really wanted to, I thought it might have been "innocent" but because he wasn't wagging his tail etc., I thought it could be aggression. I'm glad to hear that!! Those x rays aren't coming soon enough. I looked it up a lot and learned what the OFA is to begin with lol, and that they dont' even certify till 2 yrs, but both vets suspected hip displasia. I think it was Selzer that said not to worry or panic until we do x rays and I've been trying to keep my mind occupied .......apparently, I'm failing. When my six year old tells Kota to sit, he listens and she gives him a treat. She loves "training" him. I'm still trying to soak in " angulation/breeding/cowhocked/" etc so I don't know what the answer is that. I do know that hid sire and dam are German imports. Breeder hand selects her dog. The trust in her is what keeps calming me but the fear of him being an odd-ball drives me insane.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I own a 6 year old West German Showline dog and he was a pretty "loose" puppy. He was cow hocked (still is to some degree) and could be wobbly. For my dog there was a certain amount of tightening that took place throughout the physical maturation process.

I think a lot does have to do with just being a puppy (especially a puppy out of showlines), which makes it so difficult to look at a puppy and say, "Oh, this puppy has bad hips" based only on how the puppy moves. I have seen adult dogs that had "poor" rated hips that never moved wonky at all, and I have seen dogs with "excellent" hips move pretty poorly.

The x-rays, read by a qualified vet, will tell you so much more.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #60 (permalink)

This is making me feel so much to know that Kota might be A ok About the slick floors though, can anyone answer that?! Are stairs and slick floors really a no-no?! There's no way I could get around that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.