Worried about new pup - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #41 (permalink)

Your update ::: your baby is 1! Dont leave your pup and baby unsupervised !
Hmm.. I would say roll up some newspaper and hit him with it so he knows thats your baby and he cannot
bite on 'em like some type of chewing toy.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
Hmm.. I would say roll up some newspaper and hit him with it so he knows thats your baby and he cannot
bite on 'em like some type of chewing toy.
No. This is very bad advice, hopefully the OP realizes that.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I would say roll up some newspaper and hit him with it
Good advice!! If you want your dog to become fearful and cower from you

To the OP - if you haven't already, read through this. It's got good, common sense applications for daily living with a dog and children.

Family Paws-New parent classes dog and baby
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
No. This is very bad advice, hopefully the OP realizes that.
Lmao its really not! Pups are babies right? You dont let your baby do all the things they want.
I sometimes flick my dogs noses, and they still come to me.. I roll up newspaper sometimes and tap their butt with it and they still love me.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Good advice!! If you want your dog to become fearful and cower from you

To the OP - if you haven't already, read through this. It's got good, common sense applications for daily living with a dog and children.

Family Paws-New parent classes dog and baby
Lol my dogs are not scared of me. She still is always up my butt. I dont abuse her and continue to hit her.. a lil tap on the butt and a firm NO. It works.

Last edited by kelina; 11-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #46 (permalink)

I also agree BAD ADVICE re: the newspaper.

I wouldn't be worried about the cow hocks, or the clumsy walking/running, puppies ARE clumsy and can be pretty clutzy.

What I would be more worried about is his behavior with your young kids, especially the one year old, getting on TOP of him/her? I'd have hauled his butt off that kid in a flash.

I think you really need a professional to come in and evaluate his behavior/give you suggestions on what to do and not do if you plan on keeping him.

I also wouldn't be letting him around your kids until you can get a handle on his behaviors.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #47 (permalink)

kelina if it works for you fine, but tapping/smacking a dog with a newspaper serves no purpose, especially if they are growling at someone which can make the behavior escalate..

Can I ask how old you are? Of course you don't have to say if you don't want to.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 11-19-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This puppy is 3 months old. Yes he is going to potty in the house, at this point that is on you. You need to get him out before he potties, and praise him when he potties outside. Yes he is going to nip at ankles and try to figure out what he should do.

I think if you are afraid of managing a 3 month old puppy, then maybe a GSD is not right for your home right now with little ones. This is a baby. The way these babies play is to growl and fight with each other. That is normal. You took him from a litter situation and substituted human children for puppies, and now he has to be taught what he can and cannot do with your kids.

I probably met your puppy before you got it. I have met both sire and dam. The two puppies I met were fine temperament wise, and the sire and dam both have excellent temperament.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
but tapping/smacking a dog with a newspaper serves no purpose,

That goes for "flicking" their nose. All you're going to wind up with is a dog that flinches when you get your hands near it.
Hands are for treating/petting/love, not smack/hit/"tap" and the like.
Thing is - you say "oh they are fine" but they aren't. You are eroding your relationship with them.

They are not kids, and do not understand when someone smacks them, why they are being smacked.
How do I know this? Because we get dogs like this all the time in rescue. Flinching, timid messes Dogs aren't naturally flinchers. I can tell which ones were smacked on the nose or butt.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

First off, @ Selzer, as soon as I saw that you were from Ohio, I wondered. BTW, I think the world of his breeder and I am not blaming this a bit on her. I trusted her completely and STILL think the world of her but this is the perfect place for me to express my conerns. Kota has seen two vets already. A GSD is exactly what we are looking for and I adore Kota. I brought my conerns here because even though maybe it didnt' look like playing to me, I am new at this, and so I was hoping some people here could let me know, like you did, that is normal GSD puppy behavior. Because Kota has been such a sweetheart, I thought it would be ok to throw some clothes in a hamper, I was gone for a a few seconds literally, but I do not take that for granted now. Kota has been a sweetheart all day today. I was not compaining about him using the potty in the us, I was just informing all of you who I had told previously, he hadn't had anymore accidents indoors. I am thankful for all that have offered advice/opinions so far. I would not hit my puppy because I've read that you should never do that especially to a GSD. He has gotten nothing but love and praise and some firm " DOWNS, NO'S, and OFF'S. He was brought to a loving home, yes with children, because I want them to grow up together. I wasn't extremely worried about him until the VET said he is severely cowhocked and highly suspects HD, which BTW, he will be sedated and xrayed on Friday. I have looked up all I can on the sire and the dam. The sire checks out with flying colors. Oddly, the only thing I CAN'T find on the dam is her hips. Odd yes, but because I know the integrity and the amazing dogs his breeder has produced, I have not questioned her at all. Out of all the places I looked into and called I told my husband how EXCITED AND FORTUNATE that I was to be getting one of her dogs, at a great price I might add. I'm glad you are defensive of her as well. LIke I said, Kota could have bitten the blood out of us, he could have hurt us if he really wanted to, but it just didn't look like playing to me, but very well, it could have been. I have had him 10 days, he is my first GSD, and I am learning.
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.